Photo
- - - - -

Escaping the mindset of a poor person, help please.

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 KSpan

KSpan

Bow-chicka-wow-wow!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

Congratulations! A lot of good advice in here so far. Personally, my wife and I like Dave Ramsey and have had a lot of success following his system when we started to overhaul our finances, and we now live debt-free and follow our own budgeting and savings models. His views on debt may be a bit extreme for some, but the overall program is one that has suggestions for your total finances and will help you control your newfound income.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

#17 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

i do want to add something back on this. i would classify a poor mindset as it can't get better and this is just the way it is and we have to live paycheck to paycheck.
pinching pennies and saving or saying no to stuff isn't poor. its being smart and frugal.

my father in law grew up thru the depression. retired early from the pentagon in his early 50's and raised 3 kids as a single dad. my wifes mom died when she was 8.
this guy is the king of being frugal yet had more money than i will ever think about having.

he would play golf with retired col's and gen's in wilmington nc for money. a nickel a hole. 5 CENTS. i go ahh, THAT's why you have money. my buddies and i would play for 10.00 a hole and suck and wonder why we don't have money. well. there ya go.

#18 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,497 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I love my new job, it is a dream come true.

I make twice as much in one paycheck as I did in one month with my old job, PLUS I have unbeatable benefits, my rent and health care are now completely covered in addition to my increase in pay.

You could just say the unemployment checks are great.
No need for the subterfuge. ;)

#19 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

You could just say the unemployment checks are great.
No need for the subterfuge. ;)

Lol, I'm back on active duty with the US Army, your welcome ;)

#20 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

Pay off the credit cards.

Pay off car loans.

Pay off student debt.

Start a rainy day fund. Start with $1,000, and build it up to a full 6 months of living expenses.

Start to save for a large down payment on a home.

Save enough to pay cash for your next car, do not touch rainy day fund for this.

Pay down mortgage as quickly as possible while saving in roth IRA's at the same time.

Start saving toward retirement as well as college for the kids.

Eat better, cheap food will put you into the dirt.

#21 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,479 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

I don't understand this idea of never using credit cards. As long as you don't buy more than you could afford to pay with cash anyway, THEY PAY YOU TO USE THEM.

#22 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

if the rewards are worth it, sure. cc can be a good tool.

#23 Mrs Pantherfan

Mrs Pantherfan

Lusting on Zod

• HUDDLER
  • 4,760 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I understand all this saving and whatnot...but why not go out and have some fun! yes, save..put money away...it's important blah blah blah....but if you and and your wife and struggled and now you have a bit more? Go to the movies..buy some new clothes..buy your wife something shiny! Do something nice for yourselves! You only live once...make the most of it!

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,253 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I understand all this saving and whatnot...but why not go out and have some fun! yes, save..put money away...it's important blah blah blah....but if you and and your wife and struggled and now you have a bit more? Go to the movies..buy some new clothes..but your wife something shiny! Do something nice for yourselves! You only live once...make the most of it!

yep. if anything, if you splurge, just make sure it's on a memory. a big trip etc. not the 92" tv for the man cave.

thats how i guage my big ticket items. can we do this every year and how big a memory will it make? and go from there.

#25 Donald LaFell

Donald LaFell

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

i would stay frugal!

#26 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

Vegas

#27 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,194 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

Delhommey advice was very good.

Don't put "savings" in the bank drawing 1% while still having debt which charges you 10-20% interest. Obviously going in the hole there.

Look at all your debts. Pick one, pay it off. Take the monthly payment you were paying and then apply it to the next one. Knock em off one by one. The poor mindset will be transformed by your success.

Being out of debt is a wonderful feeling. Then, all the debt money is going into your bank account each month. Soon, you can buy things with cash. You have no idea what kind of car deals you can get when you offer cash rather than the bad credit stuff they are used to. You can take advantage of bargains, etc.

Glad you are headed down this path. Not saying you can't spend on some stuff, but the out of debt feeling is pretty good in itself.

#28 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Lots of good advice here.

Something MPF mentioned has been what is giving me pause lately.

I wonder if all my frugality is going to leave me with regret in the future.

Perhaps there is something to be said for dying penniless...like you timed it just right and crapped out at the finish line.

Dunno, not even sure I can do it since my nature is "frugal"...which is just churchin up being a cheapass bastard.

#29 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

The Frashmaker

• HUDDLER
  • 13,613 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

But seriously mutual funds

#30 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 7,874 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I don't understand this idea of never using credit cards. As long as you don't buy more than you could afford to pay with cash anyway, THEY PAY YOU TO USE THEM.

Many people can handle it like you described, but sooooo many more cannot. That's how they PAY YOU to use them.

Credit cards for many are used for non essential items...don't have the cash this month to take Mom and Dad to the chop house for their birthdays....put it on the card. Have a bad month at work, need new cleats for football for the son, and new tires....put it on the card.

Can't remember what the % is, but it's crazy high, how many Americans are two weeks from being broke if they don't have a paycheck.

IMO it's safer to stick with cash, and to keep 6 months living expenses on hand and not use credit.

How many homes were foreclosed on that were paid off in full?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.