34 replies to this topic

#16 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,842 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Garrard is underrated. Some of you laughing about this were the same people laughing about Anderson coming here because of his experience with the system two years ago...

This makes perfect sense, Shula would get him up to speed. Garrard is not a bad QB. He's borderline backup/starter.

#17 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,450 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Garrard is underrated. Some of you laughing about this were the same people laughing about Anderson coming here because of his experience with the system two years ago...

This makes perfect sense, Shula would get him up to speed. Garrard is not a bad QB. He's borderline backup/starter.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. I think he WAS a very good backup/starter. His age and injury scare me away though. He's got a huge arm and he's smart with the football. I would just rather have someone who isn't as old and injury prone.

#18 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,673 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

By the time the 2013 season starts, he'll have not played a down in 3 years.
Don't care how "smart" he is with the football.
Don't care how big his arm is.

League minimum #3 is all he'll be... only if someone signs him, which is not a given.

#19 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Anyone but jimmeh

#20 CollegePanther

CollegePanther

President

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Said it once, will say it again. Jason Campbell.

Jason Campbell costed the Bears 3.5 million last year. Derek Anderson costed 825k. I chose Anderson.

#21 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,957 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

Jason Campbell costed the Bears 3.5 million last year. Derek Anderson costed 825k. I chose Anderson.

Choose*

Also Anderson is gone, he want's to be in Cleveland so let him go to Cleveland.

Also Campbell is not going to fetch that this year unless the Bears are really worried about Jay Cutler's ability to play a 16 game season.

#22 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,467 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

Anyone but jimmeh

If we do not pursue a 3rd QB, and Shula makes him our immediate backup QB.....lord help us.

#23 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,412 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

League minimum #3 is all he'll be... only if someone signs him, which is not a given.

I mentioned Garrard last year and people laughed. By the beginning of 2012 season he was beating youngsters for a starting job, so it's not just the ECU homer in me. He's still viable if he recovers ok.

#24 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,842 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

So he's had 3 years to recover. So what? You should care how smart and how big of an arm he has. if he's going to be a back up, that matters. The smarter he is, the more information he can process. Besides, Cam is our starter. It's not like Garrard is going to come in and beat Cam for the Job. Jimmy Clausen isn't even a reliable back up, or decent for that matter. He's probably gone, with Anderson as well, since he's lobbying for Cleveland now.

He'd be a #2 here if he comes in with Cam and Jimmy (If he's still here). If you're saying his familiarity with the system is non-existing. You'd be right. But that's what OTA's, Mini-Camp, Preseason are for. All that time to spend in the system and soak it in. He'd be fine. Besides, again I say, he's a BACK UP. That's all you'd want him to do. To come in ala Anderson in case Cam goes down for a series or a game or two and feel confident that he can take the load for that allotted time.

Of course the league minimum would be what you'd throw at him. With 3 years removed from the NFL. I think he'd want money regardless of the price. Especially if he's probably just going to be on the bench collecting a Paycheck. Much like Anderson has done the past 2 years.

I wouldn't mind Garrard at all. Jason Campbell on the other hand...eh.. I'm not too sure of.

#25 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,450 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

So he's had 3 years to recover. So what? You should care how smart and how big of an arm he has. if he's going to be a back up, that matters. The smarter he is, the more information he can process. Besides, Cam is our starter. It's not like Garrard is going to come in and beat Cam for the Job. Jimmy Clausen isn't even a reliable back up, or decent for that matter. He's probably gone, with Anderson as well, since he's lobbying for Cleveland now.

He'd be a #2 here if he comes in with Cam and Jimmy (If he's still here). If you're saying his familiarity with the system is non-existing. You'd be right. But that's what OTA's, Mini-Camp, Preseason are for. All that time to spend in the system and soak it in. He'd be fine. Besides, again I say, he's a BACK UP. That's all you'd want him to do. To come in ala Anderson in case Cam goes down for a series or a game or two and feel confident that he can take the load for that allotted time.

Of course the league minimum would be what you'd throw at him. With 3 years removed from the NFL. I think he'd want money regardless of the price. Especially if he's probably just going to be on the bench collecting a Paycheck. Much like Anderson has done the past 2 years.

I wouldn't mind Garrard at all. Jason Campbell on the other hand...eh.. I'm not too sure of.

I think the "if" he is healthy is too much. And Jason Campbell is an Auburn alum. YAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

#26 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Has ties with Shula(Shula groomed him into a starter) wouldn't surprise me imo, would be a great backup too.

He would be perfect. Garrard is a leader and would keep Cam's head right. When Cam went to the sideline and was upset, we all talked about the towel etc. Did anyone ever see Anderson or Clausen there? I do not remember it.

If the Panthers are not hiring a QB coach, then this could be very significant. Good thought.

#27 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,673 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

"When Cam went to the sideline and was upset, we all talked about the towel etc. Did anyone ever see Anderson or Clausen there? I do not remember it."
If you attended any games during the 2011 season, you'll remember Jeremy Shockey was the guy who met Cam every time he came off the field and had some words for him.
If you attended any games this past season, you'll note Derek Anderson was the first guy to meet Cam on the sidelines.

#28 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,355 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Said it once, will say it again. Jason Campbell.

That's an idea worth considering. Now you can start the Campbell for back-up QB bandwagon thread. All Aboard!

#29 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,355 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'd take Garrard, also.

#30 catnip

catnip

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would only look for a backup QB if Anderson leaves. I would look at all the backup QBs or starter QBs that lost their job as our bakcup (Mat Moore). In the later rounds of the draft I would look for a 3rd QB suck as the kid from Duke. Good size, strong arm, and willing to sit for awhile to learn. Cam has a couple of years left on his contract and we don't know if he will leave. I would cut or trade Jimmy because he doesn't have a future in Carolina.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com