Photo
- - - - -

Garrard as backup QB?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#25 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

So he's had 3 years to recover. So what? You should care how smart and how big of an arm he has. if he's going to be a back up, that matters. The smarter he is, the more information he can process. Besides, Cam is our starter. It's not like Garrard is going to come in and beat Cam for the Job. Jimmy Clausen isn't even a reliable back up, or decent for that matter. He's probably gone, with Anderson as well, since he's lobbying for Cleveland now.

He'd be a #2 here if he comes in with Cam and Jimmy (If he's still here). If you're saying his familiarity with the system is non-existing. You'd be right. But that's what OTA's, Mini-Camp, Preseason are for. All that time to spend in the system and soak it in. He'd be fine. Besides, again I say, he's a BACK UP. That's all you'd want him to do. To come in ala Anderson in case Cam goes down for a series or a game or two and feel confident that he can take the load for that allotted time.

Of course the league minimum would be what you'd throw at him. With 3 years removed from the NFL. I think he'd want money regardless of the price. Especially if he's probably just going to be on the bench collecting a Paycheck. Much like Anderson has done the past 2 years.

I wouldn't mind Garrard at all. Jason Campbell on the other hand...eh.. I'm not too sure of.

I think the "if" he is healthy is too much. And Jason Campbell is an Auburn alum. YAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

#26 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

Has ties with Shula(Shula groomed him into a starter) wouldn't surprise me imo, would be a great backup too.

He would be perfect. Garrard is a leader and would keep Cam's head right. When Cam went to the sideline and was upset, we all talked about the towel etc. Did anyone ever see Anderson or Clausen there? I do not remember it.

If the Panthers are not hiring a QB coach, then this could be very significant. Good thought.

#27 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:11 AM

"When Cam went to the sideline and was upset, we all talked about the towel etc. Did anyone ever see Anderson or Clausen there? I do not remember it."
If you attended any games during the 2011 season, you'll remember Jeremy Shockey was the guy who met Cam every time he came off the field and had some words for him.
If you attended any games this past season, you'll note Derek Anderson was the first guy to meet Cam on the sidelines.

#28 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Said it once, will say it again. Jason Campbell.

That's an idea worth considering. Now you can start the Campbell for back-up QB bandwagon thread. All Aboard!

#29 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'd take Garrard, also.

#30 catnip

catnip

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I would only look for a backup QB if Anderson leaves. I would look at all the backup QBs or starter QBs that lost their job as our bakcup (Mat Moore). In the later rounds of the draft I would look for a 3rd QB suck as the kid from Duke. Good size, strong arm, and willing to sit for awhile to learn. Cam has a couple of years left on his contract and we don't know if he will leave. I would cut or trade Jimmy because he doesn't have a future in Carolina.

#31 MHS831

MHS831

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

"When Cam went to the sideline and was upset, we all talked about the towel etc. Did anyone ever see Anderson or Clausen there? I do not remember it."
If you attended any games during the 2011 season, you'll remember Jeremy Shockey was the guy who met Cam every time he came off the field and had some words for him.
If you attended any games this past season, you'll note Derek Anderson was the first guy to meet Cam on the sidelines.

I did not attend any games. On TV, I saw Shula, but rarely saw Anderson in the picture. Why was Anderson not the first to greet him both years, I wonder?

#32 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Shockey spent a lot of time on the sidelines with Cam. Watching him at the stadium and the way he was coaching up Cam really changed some opinions I had about Shockey. One of the few things I appreciated about attending games was watching the interactions of players on the sidelines and on the field during TV timeouts, quarter changes, etc.

#33 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

maybe we should pick up a QB that shula called plays for to help cam learn shula's tendencies as a play caller.

#34 IamSoClutch

IamSoClutch

CaptainCam

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

The back up QB spot should be someone who can teach Cam the importance of great footwork

#35 4Corners

4Corners

2014 Huddle Poster of the Year.

HUDDLER

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Hell yeah I'm getting a jersey if he comes here