#46 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,200 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

THE PISTOL IS NOT THE READ OPTION!

Do some people think college football and go, "LOL OPTION."

Umm, watch West Virginia University. You can run the pistol JUST like you run any other formation. Heck, the DETROIT LIONS with STAFFORD utilize the pistol.

Do people seriously think running the pistol automatically means running the read option? It is just a formation... like any other formation.

yep. thought the same thing when i saw that. the pistol is a formation. the read option is a running play. not at all the same thing.

#47 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

THE PISTOL IS NOT THE READ OPTION!

Do some people think college football and go, "LOL OPTION."

Umm, watch West Virginia University. You can run the pistol JUST like you run any other formation. Heck, the DETROIT LIONS with STAFFORD utilize the pistol.

Do people seriously think running the pistol automatically means running the read option? It is just a formation... like any other formation.

Which is exactly what I said. The pistol is a formation from which the read option is ran.

#48 ThunderKatt

ThunderKatt

Hello to All my Haters

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationIn yo moma

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

The pistol will not be the same next year. It wasn't that successful against an Atlanta team that sucks against the run. Next year, it will be like our read option. Lbs and des fresh out of collegecwill be prepared for it.

#49 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

Hoge had a good segment on NFL Matchup this morning about how the Falcons shut down the read-option last week with the play of the DE and making sure they held their outside contain. Wilson didn't run the ball once out of the option.

It works, but anything you do in the NFL will get figured out by defenses... they're too smart and too fast. You have to change it up.

How did they stop an offense which they gave up over 500 yards of offense and Wilson was running all over the place picking up first downs. Hoge can suck his own rooster.

#50 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

The pistol will not be the same next year. It wasn't that successful against an Atlanta team that sucks against the run. Next year, it will be like our read option. Lbs and des fresh out of collegecwill be prepared for it.

You don't get the point. The read option doesn't mean the QB has to run it. giving up 180 yards rushing is not what is considered stopping the running game or read option.

Yes you stopped the QB from running but the RB is 10 yard down field. In fact, for injury purpose option teams would prefer it that way. I hope you don't say the same thing at the end of next year.

#51 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

If putting 28 points up in a championship victory isn't successful, I'm afraid I don't have a way of convincing you.

#52 Mage

Mage

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Which is exactly what I said. The pistol is a formation from which the read option is ran.

You said, "the pistol is exactly what the read option is."

That is not what you said. Unless you meant something else and it didn't come out right.

#53 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

The pistol is exactly what read option is, except for the fact that the RB lines up behind the QB instead of off to the side. Come on man. It works sometimes and it doesnt work other times. As a base it does not work. as a sub package it forces Defenses to stay home and play very disiplined.

The pistol is just a formation. When the QB is under center the RB is line up right behind him. That's all it is. Nothing scientific that needs to be figured out. I don't know what's so complicated with having the QB in shotgun with the RB behind him. IT'S A FORMATION PEOPLE.

There are only 4 formations:
1. Under center with RB behind
2. Shotgun with RB next him
3. Shotgun with RB behind
4. empty backfield

Now you can just pick one and run your offense or use all of them.

No wonder athletes are called dumb jocks. Like, omg, coach so and so decide to position the RB behind the QB instead of next to him, omg. Come on, man. The only change in the sport is that the QB can run as fast as all the other skill players. The QB is now a skill player instead of a lame ducks that throws a football.

#54 Actionman0z

Actionman0z

Strong Member

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

Yeah sorry, I meant to say the Pistol is just a formation you run the read option from. It just means the RB is directly behind the QB.

#55 Tarheels23

Tarheels23

Keep Pounding

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

You don't get the point. The read option doesn't mean the QB has to run it. giving up 180 yards rushing is not what is considered stopping the running game or read option.

Yes you stopped the QB from running but the RB is 10 yard down field. In fact, for injury purpose option teams would prefer it that way. I hope you don't say the same thing at the end of next year.

Great point!

This is exactly what people fail to realize.

I would also like to add, all the passing yards that were had from the read option play action fake, because of the run threat.

Just because the QB doesn't run the ball doesn't mean the read option wasn't effective, and the Falcons/49ers game is a perfect example of that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com