Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is Jim Harbaugh?

195 posts in this topic

Posted

Yeah one team wears blue and the other one doesn't. An important factor when comparing them.

You're a goddamn idiot if you believe these teams are equivalent.

Posted

what was stanford before he got there? nothing.

what were the 49ers before he got there? a non-winning, average at best team looking for their first winning season in 8 years.

he took what was there and provided the leadership, guidance, instruction, management, and motivation necessary for the 49ers to get to the NFCCG twice in his first two years as coach, winning the second.

results are all that matter. would he do as well with lesser talent? probably not, but would he turn that team around completely and make them much better than they have been in years? absolutely.

would he have done better than rivera with the panthers? i have no doubt he would have because he had several things going for him that rivera didn't. he had experience. he had a proven track record. and he had a better staff.

he knew what he was doing when he landed in san fran. rivera here....not so much.

he was also much better prepared for being a HC than rivera, and i don't just mean in 2011.

since rivera left the playing field, his concentration has been on how to make defenses better. something that he has excelled in.

harbaugh, since leaving the playing field, has been concentrating on how to make a whole team better. he's spent more of his post playing career on learning how to to do the job than rivera.

can rivera be a great head coach? i dunno. he's got a lot to prove. harbaugh, though, has done nothing but prove he can be one.

1 person likes this

Posted

You're a goddamn idiot if you believe these teams are equivalent.

post-83-0-65774800-1358797140_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

I'm not saying they're equal. If everything was the exact same but with their names switched, your opinion would be the exact opposite to go along with whatever The Carolina Panthers do.

That's where the fallacy comes in.

Posted

You left out a more telling piece form your fluff articles on Harbaugh:

Think about the history with Harbaugh, as a successful man who's also a notable liar. Not a twister of the truth: a liar.

He lied about his interest in Peyton Manning.

He lied about Alex Smith being an elite QB.

He lied about his reasons for sticking with Kaepernick.

Harbaugh may be reaping a lot of credit for his actions now, but how long can his arrogance and lies allow the team to continue to buy in to what he sells? Again, we haven't seen any real struggles for the 49ers, and no test of his mettle in dire situations. It's all come up roses. But I see seeds that have been sown that will reap very dark fruits for Harbaugh in the future, hence my earlier proclamation about him being fired within a few years time.

i left it out because it wasn't important about him running a successful program. i did say that he wasn't liked and he was arrogant, did i not? did i do anything to hide from that.

it has no bearing on his coaching, though. i'm not surprised in your grasping at straw approach to arguing that harbaugh isn't as good as people think that you'd grasp at that one.

he does what it takes to get his team better. he does what it takes to make his team dominant. that's what you look for. i don't care how "smart" or how much of an expert someone is when i'm looking for a leader. i'm looking for someone who makes the people around them the best, and that's exactly what he does.

that "pro-bowl" talent he "inherited"...how many of those guys had been selected to the probowl when he got there? how much more are the achieving as individuals and as a group compared to before he got there?

1 person likes this

Posted

what was stanford before he got there? nothing.

what were the 49ers before he got there? a non-winning, average at best team looking for their first winning season in 8 years.

he took what was there and provided the leadership, guidance, instruction, management, and motivation necessary for the 49ers to get to the NFCCG twice in his first two years as coach, winning the second.

results are all that matter. would he do as well with lesser talent? probably not, but would he turn that team around completely and make them much better than they have been in years? absolutely.

would he have done better than rivera with the panthers? i have no doubt he would have because he had several things going for him that rivera didn't. he had experience. he had a proven track record. and he had a better staff.

he knew what he was doing when he landed in san fran. rivera here....not so much.

he was also much better prepared for being a HC than rivera, and i don't just mean in 2011.

since rivera left the playing field, his concentration has been on how to make defenses better. something that he has excelled in.

harbaugh, since leaving the playing field, has been concentrating on how to make a whole team better. he's spent more of his post playing career on learning how to to do the job than rivera.

can rivera be a great head coach? i dunno. he's got a lot to prove. harbaugh, though, has done nothing but prove he can be one.

I find it fascinating how no one can provide any tangible evidence for these attributes of Harbaugh, they just say it is because. . it is. Apparently John Fox never left Carolina.

Posted

Again, a non-answer. And I assure you, Harbaugh does not get universally glowing reviews from everywhere. His own media generally considers him an arrogant jerk who glories in the accomplishments of his team and refuses to accept blame. I find it fascinating that my generally lucid and forthright comments on Harbaugh are written off as rapid homerism when anyone who's read through my comments generally find I make logical and defensible arguments on why I feel the way i do. You don't have to agree with me either, but to slight me by accusing me of fanaticism or homerism just shows the futility of your own arguments.

I didn't accuse you of homerism. Other people did that. I accused you of potential fanaticism.

Once we have to prove why Harbaugh is a mediocre to poor Head Coach in your mind (based off of the supposition that he's not a good Executive/Manager/Decision Maker/Leader, despite the fact that we can find numerous examples of Rivera's mistakes in those areas, but few of Harbaugh's), we've gone from the realm of a healthy football debate, spiraling into the slippery slope of vapid, self indulgent semantics.

Posted

oh...and harbaugh getting fired in a few years? lol

if the results are there, he won't be fired.

Posted

fiery has an entire ax factory to grind over harbaugh. geez louise

Posted

i left it out because it wasn't important about him running a successful program. i did say that he wasn't liked and he was arrogant, did i not? did i do anything to hide from that.

it has no bearing on his coaching, though. i'm not surprised in your grasping at straw approach to arguing that harbaugh isn't as good as people think that you'd grasp at that one.

he does what it takes to get his team better. he does what it takes to make his team dominant. that's what you look for. i don't care how "smart" or how much of an expert someone is when i'm looking for a leader. i'm looking for someone who makes the people around them the best, and that's exactly what he does.

that "pro-bowl" talent he "inherited"...how many of those guys had been selected to the probowl when he got there? how much more are the achieving as individuals and as a group compared to before he got there?

Grasping at straws? I'm pointing out that his "leadership" has apparent flaws from the get-go. I've already writeen enough on my other reasons for finding him overrated (to which no one bothers a response because they have none.)

You have no tangible proof that Harbaugh is any of the things you claim he is. None. Zero. Zilch.

We already know he presents no schematic advantages, we already know he is blessed with more talent around him than most other coaches, we already know he took over an underpeforming squad that could have improved with merely competent coaching, and we already know he has a record of being intensely disliked and of lying to suit his situations. But other than all that he's an elite coach!

Posted

I didn't accuse you homerism. Other people did that. I accused you of potential fanaticism.

Once we have to prove why Harbaugh is a mediocre to poor Head Coach in your mind (based off of the supposition that he's not a good Executive/Manager/Decision Maker/Leader, despite the fact that we can find numerous examples of Rivera's mistakes in those areas, but few of Harbaugh's), we've gone from the realm of a healthy football debate, spiraling into the slippery slope of vapid, self indulgent semantics.

I'm not talking about Rivera. I'm talking about Harbaugh. Prove your case that he is a good Executive/Manager/Decision Maker/Leader.

Posted

fiery has an entire ax factory to grind over harbaugh. geez louise

I have an ax to grind with you, rayzor, and whatever other goddamn moron wants to continue your lovefest for Harbaugh and slam JR for not forcing the man to come here when he clearly had no interest in doing so. He may be a better coach than Rivera, but he's not elite, he's wouldn't have done much better here, and the rest of it is typical Huddle whining that I'm sick and tired of hearing.