• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Deebo

Deebo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

People call it college offense...gimmick...but this type of offense is in the superbowl...we have a QB that can run it....panthers coaching staff better be watching the playoffs carefully

#2 TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

TheGreatestOfAllTimeCam

Cam Nut Hugger

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,241 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

It will eventually be figured out, just like the wildcat was.

It's just a good wrinkle to have in the playbook, not as a base offense. Also the niners dont use it as a base its just sprinkled in here and there where its most effective.

#3 TopCat

TopCat

Swerve

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Teams have already figured out how to stop the read option. Its really not that challenging, unless you're the packers of course. It really just falls on the execution of the defenders. Its good to throw in the game at some point.

#4 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

The difference is having an accurate QB running it.The best play out of the read option is the pass.

#5 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,506 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

San Fran and their huge Oline, run it very well

Chud was not crazy to try it with a QB like Newton. The offense, for whatever reason, just could not execute.

#6 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 22,095 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

if the qb isn't accurate means nothing. I say it depends on Chip Kelly. If his run is good look out.

#7 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 15,935 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

This is not a wrinkle that will be figured out. The Wildcat was and is nothing like the read option. If I were a braggart I would mention that I wrote about this very thing in 2010 as Cam was going through the draft process.

When I or others said that Cam could revolutionize the QB position, we were mainly talking about how scouts view QBs in the evaluation process. Before Cam's rookie year, being very mobile was considered either negligible benefit or even a hindrance.

The truth is, that the prototypical straight drop back QB is on the verge of extinction in college and high school. There will always be a premium on great passers. But what we have seen over the last 10 or so years is that prototypical QBs have become over valued in the scouting process. Basically, if you ran a pro style offense in college and could be even moderately competent you would get an automatic top two round grade.

I said then and I still believe now that the NFL is on the verge of a major change. Mainly because the athletic QB has become so commonplace in college that the NFL will have to adjust in order to expand the options at QB that are available.

And with the remarkable success of our offense (which is better than you guys act like it is), SF, Seattle, and Washington, NFL coaches are beginning to make this transition and will continue to do so unless college reverts back to more traditional offenses.

Of course, when I said this two years ago most on here laughed at me.

At the same time, it is too early to be too braggadocios, because the NFL defenses will continue to make adjustments. But in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what defenses do. If the QB can pass as well as run, it is virtually undefendable.

#8 MrPickles

MrPickles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

If the read option is a gimmick, so is the forward pass. Read option has been around longer.

#9 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

If the read option is a gimmick, so is the forward pass. Read option has been around longer.

Not the way its being played now from the shotgun. Its out on the edge now as opposed to the old wishbone where the QB ran down the line and got blown up by the DE in the pros.

I agree its here to stay. With a lack of quality drop back QBs teams may draft a bunch of read option guys and start treating the QB position like they do running backs. The rookie salary cap makes it doable.

#10 goodoleboy

goodoleboy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

At the same time, it is too early to be too braggadocios, because the NFL defenses will continue to make adjustments. But in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what defenses do. If the QB can pass as well as run, it is virtually undefendable.

I think what they will start doing is blitzing the merge point, and hitting the QB no matter what. Teams that use it a lot will need 2 QBs who can run it.

#11 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,193 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

The read option may be here to stay indeed.

However, I still would like Cam and the Panthers to play the way they did at the end of 2012 (and in 2011), where Cam sits mostly in the pocket and only runs when the pocket collapses/he has to, and/or on 2-5 called run plays during the game. That's it. Cam, and the offense has been most effective so far doing it just like that.

Just the threat of him running, is good enough to open up the RB runs and passing game.

Of course, a lot of this centers on what the defense gives Cam to work with of course. But based off prior success, that should be the base game plan for him and the offense.

#12 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

People call it college offense...gimmick...but this type of offense is in the superbowl...we have a QB that can run it....panthers coaching staff better be watching the playoffs carefully

I know that most probably disagree, but Cam is really good in our offense, and he is getting better. Also, our weapons are well suited to it as well. Tolbert, Willams, Stewart...

The NFL is changing. It is becoming more athletic at the QB position. Guys like Cam, RG3, Kaepernick(sp) Russel Wilson are the New NFL. The good thing is that Cam is really durable, and he is going to perform at a high level for a while to come.

#13 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

It will eventually be figured out, just like the wildcat was.

It's just a good wrinkle to have in the playbook, not as a base offense. Also the niners dont use it as a base its just sprinkled in here and there where its most effective.

Just because the QB doesn't keep all the time doesn't mean it's not being used. They defended Kaep so Gore gutted them. Either way you gonna get gutted. here to stay.

#14 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Teams have already figured out how to stop the read option. Its really not that challenging, unless you're the packers of course. It really just falls on the execution of the defenders. Its good to throw in the game at some point.

What team have figured it out? You mean the Failcon game? Figuring out doesn't mean letting the RB gut you all day long by only defending the QB.

#15 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

This is not a wrinkle that will be figured out. The Wildcat was and is nothing like the read option. If I were a braggart I would mention that I wrote about this very thing in 2010 as Cam was going through the draft process.

When I or others said that Cam could revolutionize the QB position, we were mainly talking about how scouts view QBs in the evaluation process. Before Cam's rookie year, being very mobile was considered either negligible benefit or even a hindrance.

The truth is, that the prototypical straight drop back QB is on the verge of extinction in college and high school. There will always be a premium on great passers. But what we have seen over the last 10 or so years is that prototypical QBs have become over valued in the scouting process. Basically, if you ran a pro style offense in college and could be even moderately competent you would get an automatic top two round grade.

I said then and I still believe now that the NFL is on the verge of a major change. Mainly because the athletic QB has become so commonplace in college that the NFL will have to adjust in order to expand the options at QB that are available.

And with the remarkable success of our offense (which is better than you guys act like it is), SF, Seattle, and Washington, NFL coaches are beginning to make this transition and will continue to do so unless college reverts back to more traditional offenses.

Of course, when I said this two years ago most on here laughed at me.

Your right about Cam.

I kinow it has been said over and over, but it's true. Most of the 'expert analysts' thought that Cam would fail, but he deserves credit for opening the door in the NFL to athletic QBs that are revolutionizing the game.

I must also say that this evolution really began at the college level, but Cam showed that it could work in the NFL.

Remember when everyone used to say that "Cam will never be able to run like that in the NFL"? ... his accomplishments speak for themselves.

Now that we have another draft for Rivera to beef up our defense even more... it could really be us up there on the big stage before long (with different results this time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com