• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

This is not a wrinkle that will be figured out. The Wildcat was and is nothing like the read option. If I were a braggart I would mention that I wrote about this very thing in 2010 as Cam was going through the draft process.

When I or others said that Cam could revolutionize the QB position, we were mainly talking about how scouts view QBs in the evaluation process. Before Cam's rookie year, being very mobile was considered either negligible benefit or even a hindrance.

The truth is, that the prototypical straight drop back QB is on the verge of extinction in college and high school. There will always be a premium on great passers. But what we have seen over the last 10 or so years is that prototypical QBs have become over valued in the scouting process. Basically, if you ran a pro style offense in college and could be even moderately competent you would get an automatic top two round grade.

I said then and I still believe now that the NFL is on the verge of a major change. Mainly because the athletic QB has become so commonplace in college that the NFL will have to adjust in order to expand the options at QB that are available.

And with the remarkable success of our offense (which is better than you guys act like it is), SF, Seattle, and Washington, NFL coaches are beginning to make this transition and will continue to do so unless college reverts back to more traditional offenses.

Of course, when I said this two years ago most on here laughed at me.

At the same time, it is too early to be too braggadocios, because the NFL defenses will continue to make adjustments. But in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what defenses do. If the QB can pass as well as run, it is virtually undefendable.

Thank you. People need to listen to Trent Dilfer talking about both the Pistol and the Read Option. It is a numbers game and a Geometry game. Will it work all the time? No. Will teams that run it always go the Superbowl? Heck No.

But it is no more a gimmick than WR reverses or WR screen passes or play action.

It is another play or formation that keeps the defense off their heels.

But the Option play works because we have QBs that can throw the ball as well as 'pocket passer.'

#32 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,821 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Well, you haven't followed college football that much then. Cam won the national championship at Auburn in 2010. He was a read option QB there.

Medioce The Golden Calf of Bristol won a couple as well. Where have you been? Lol

Looks like you're going out of your way to discredit the read option even making things up. What's your agenda?

And the ONLY team that beat Alabama this year was a read option team. Do you need any more facts?

mentioned aub earlier. a&m didn't win the nc. also all the winners have been the sec the last 7 yrs.

and im not going out of my way.

#33 mcdougal

mcdougal

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

there is a reason a read option team hasn't won the NC in college. they go up against a stout sec(see nfl) caliber d and well, there ya go.

however, due to the trend coming, im more interested in the type of d that develops to consistenly stop it.

Wait? Cam didn't win a National Championship? What about Vince Young? The Golden Calf of Bristol?

#34 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,821 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

guys. please learn to read multiple posts in one thread. i already mentioned aub.

those 3 teams were also in the sec. superior d. ore and other teams that run the spread haven't won. in some ways you almost have to classify the sec in a dif category.

geez.

#35 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

guys. please learn to read multiple posts in one thread. i already mentioned aub.

those 3 teams were also in the sec. superior d. ore and other teams that run the spread haven't won. in some ways you almost have to classify the sec in a dif category.

geez.

Well, you can't make such a strong statement with so many exceptions. Plus the age of the read option style QBs are relatively young. And for their short existence so many have been so successful on the biggest stage. Give them another 10 years the QB landscape will be completely different. There will be a time where the Brady types will not be drafted in the first round. You read it here first.

That first down Brady couldn't pick up with his feet on that 4th & 4 with the conference championship on the line will leave a bad taste on GMs' mouth.

The 49ers have limited weapons offensively but looks like they have weapon all over the place because of Kaepernick.

#36 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,711 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:42 AM

San Fran and their huge Oline, run it very well

Chud was not crazy to try it with a QB like Newton. The offense, for whatever reason, just could not execute.

Their O-line is athletic as heck! Ours is...well. -__-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.