#1 SZ James

SZ James

1 888 CAM PAIN

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2...tive/index.html

"As the nation celebrates King's national holiday Monday, a new battle has erupted over his legacy. Some conservatives are saying it's time for them to reclaim the legacy of King, whose message of self-help, patriotism and a colorblind America, they say, was 'fundamentally conservative.'"

#2 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

he was conservative in many many ways. the mere fact a group is trying to "claim" his stance says enough.

#3 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

I agree.

Dr King appealed to all people of all political ideologies. He wanted to bring us all together, not divide us into opposing groups like our government likes to do.

America will never be a great country again until we quit all of this Democrat-Republican bullshit, and unite as Americans and demand political leaders that will fight for us instead of selling us out to the global banks while we squabble among ourselves.

RIP, may your message live on, and hopefully one day, we will listen.

#4 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,756 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

yeah that's a tough one. my understanding (which is admittedly limited) is that he was conservative in that he was religious and a lot of his rhetoric does reflect (on the surface) what modern conservatism claims as its ideological base, but his ideas at the time were considered radical and extremely liberal by the establishment of the day, so i doubt too many people labeled him a conservative back then.

i'm actually very interested in hearing responses on this.

#5 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,245 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

personally. i think if he were alive, we might be surprised at his thoughts on things.

#6 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,756 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

here's conservative op-ed bastion TownHall.com's take on why MLK is a conservative

and

here is an article on about.com (lol) that's basically a selection of MLK quotes and extended dialogue on various issues that are considered philosophically liberal and as such paint him in that light.

#7 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,431 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Conservatives have a habit of glorifying long dead radicals who are no longer any threat.

Take Jesus for example.

#8 PhillyB

PhillyB

hug it chug it football

• HUDDLER
  • 18,756 posts
  • LocationGreensboro

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

Conservatives have a habit of glorifying long dead radicals who are no longer any threat.

Take Jesus for example.

part of vying for political control is successfully getting voter blocs to identify their ideological iconography with your party in one way or another. i always hate it when people say "well both sides are equally guilty" ...but in this case everyone does it.

the republicans just happen to be a more laughable example in this case because they've had such an inexplicable monopoly on christianity for so long.

#9 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,106 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

All you have to do is look at the conservative contemporaries of people like our Founding Fathers, Lincoln, TR, FDR, JFK and MLK. If you do, you'll quickly realize that conservatives were adamantly opposed to every one of these forward thinking individuals (for their time) that are today considered icons of American History. Conservatives by their very nature have to look backwards for legitimacy. They are forced to coopt previous generations' liberals because their own political leaders advocated for the wrong side of every important historical issue.

#10 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

http://academic.uday...ds/affirm25.htm

In the last years of Martin Luther King, Jr.'s life, many mainstream journalists and conservative politicians treated him with fear and derision. In 1967, Life magazine (4/21/67) dubbed King's prophetic anti";war address "demagogic slander" and "a script for Radio Hanoi." Even years later, Ronald Reagan described King as a near";Communist.

Today, however, a miracle is taking place: Suddenly, King is a conservative. By virtue of a snippit from one 1963 address"a single phrase about "the content of our character""King is the most oft";quoted opponent of affirmative action in America today.

The exploitation of King's name, the distortion of his teachings for political gain, is an ugly development. The term "affirmative action" did not come into currency until after King's death "but it was King himself, as chair of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, who initiated the first successful national affirmative action campaign: "Operation Breadbasket."

King was well aware of the arguments used against affirmative action policies. As far back as 1964, he was writing in Why We Can't Wait: "Whenever the issue of compensatory treatment for the ***** is raised, some of our friends recoil in horror. The ***** should be granted equality, they agree; but he should ask nothing more. On the surface, this appears reasonable, but it is not realistic."

King supported affirmative action";type programs because he never confused the dream with American reality. As he put it, "A society that has done something special against the ***** for hundreds of years must now do something special for the *****" to compete on a just and equal basis (quoted in Let the Trumpet Sound, by Stephen Oates).

In a 1965 Playboy interview, King compared affirmative action";style policies to the GI Bill: "Within common law we have ample precedents for special compensatory programs.... And you will remember that America adopted a policy of special treatment for her millions of veterans after the war."

Like Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, King viewed affirmative action as a means to achieving a truly egalitarian and color";blind society. To destroy the means, the gradual process by which equality is achieved, destroys the dream itself. And the use of King's name in this enterprise only adds derision to destruction.

you see conservatives NEED to depict mlk as conservative because if he's not conservative then he must be liebral and if he's liebral then he must be bad and if he's bad then they must hate him and if they must hate him then they hate one of the leading civil rights figures of american history.

he was pretty progressive for his time, though he still got caught up in stupid religious bullshit

oh and btw he was pro union

e:

"He was against all policies based on race," says Peter Schramm, a conservative historian.

huh it turns out being objectively wrong about history doesn't disqualify you from calling yourself a historian

#11 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:51 AM

Conservatism (Latin: conservare, "to retain") is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions. A person who follows the philosophies of conservatism is referred to as a traditionalist or conservative.

yeah mlk was all about the status quo right guys?

"It didn't cost the nation a penny to open lunch counters. It didn't cost the nation a penny to give us the right to vote," he said. "But it will cost the nation billions to feed and house all of its citizens. The country needs a radical redistribution of wealth."

-noted conservative martin luther king jr.

#12 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,431 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:55 AM

We must rapidly begin the shift from a thing-oriented society to a person-oriented society. When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, militarism and economic exploitation are incapable of being conquered.

Try saying that at the next GOP convention.

#13 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,003 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:57 AM

i have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. that being said, it is important that we not actually pass meaningful legislation that could someday make this dream a reality. instead, we should pull ourselves up by our own bootstraps. now go home everybody; the show's over. why the fug did we come all the way to dc for this anyway?

#14 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I thought Cantrell was gonna post the entire excerpt, got excited, read it, got bummed. So here is the entire speech.

------

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of ***** slaves, who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of captivity. But one hundred years later, we must face the tragic fact that the ***** is still not free. One hundred years later, the life of the ***** is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination.

One hundred years later, the ***** lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the ***** is still languishing in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. So we have come here today to dramatize an appalling condition.

In a sense we have come to our nation’s Capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir.

This note was a promise that all men would be guaranteed the inalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the ***** a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. So we have come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism.

Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.

Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice.

Now is the time to open the doors of opportunity to all God’s children.

Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment and to underestimate the determination of the *****. This sweltering summer of the Negro’s legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end but a beginning. Those who hope that the ***** needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual.

There will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the ***** is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrong deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the ***** community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny and their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom. We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall march ahead. We cannot turn back. There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the ***** is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.

We cannot be satisfied as long as the Negro’s basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one.

We cannot be satisfied as long as a ***** in Mississippi cannot vote, and a ***** in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote.

No, no we are not satisfied and we will not be satisfied until justice rolls down like waters and righteousness like a mighty stream.

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. Some of you have come from areas where your quest for freedom left you battered by storms of persecutions and staggered by the winds of police brutality. You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive.

Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our modern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair. I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream.

It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed. "We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day out on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state sweltering with the heat and injustice of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama, whose governor’s lips are presently dripping with the words of interposition and nullification, will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plains and the crooked places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together.

This is our hope. This is the faith with which I return to the South. With this faith we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope.

With this faith we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood.

With this faith we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

This will be the day when all of God’s children will be able to sing with new meaning "My country ’tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim’s pride, from every mountainside, let freedom ring!"

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true. So let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire. Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous peaks of California.

But not only that, let freedom, ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi. From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God’s children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old ***** spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."

#15 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,328 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

The ***** is the word knee grow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.