26 replies to this topic

#16 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

he fell off after the cool though there are people out there who will say he fell off after f&l (which of course is objectively wrong because dumb it down and the coolest own)

though i'll agree atlantic sucks, idk if his label is the reason why his mixtapes are generally better than his albums or if he just took lasers and f&l2 as an opportunity to experiment in egotism

#17 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,536 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

record labels can't "force you" to do sh*t

cobain vehemently disagreed on nevermind and in utero

#18 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

without getting into specific musicians/artists/whatever there's always the option of, you know, not doing whatever it is your label wants you to do.

no one's forcing you to do anything. lupe's comments are him just trying to save face because of the terrible reception his album got from everyone. it all boils down to his public image.

you can file this little "fiasco" under that category as well.

#19 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

yeah lupe actually refers to that in one of his songs

But it's all entertainment
Wonder when Cobain blew out his brains, did he blame it?
And if those snakes in the industry helped him aim it
Started pressing up records before the bullet left the chamber

but again that's from a mixtape. anyway cobain he is not. cobain rebelled against overproduction and whatnot but lupe seems to have an affinity for it

he can whine about it all he wants but nobody's forcing him to make lame poo. the music industry is fuged wrt the relationship between artists and labels but good music is in fact being released through major labels (seriously look no further than his first two albums) so why can't he get it right now? i agree with the "saving face" viewpoint. dude wants to make money but still wants to come across as "real" to his older fans. you can't tell me he doesn't have input on those dumb fuging hooks and he's always had a bit of a problem with production dating back to when he was actually releasing good music.

oh and btw he blames atlantic for lasers but he's contradicted himself on that multiple times (for example: "Lasers is a great album. I'm actually happy with the record.")

i don't doubt the dude has issues with his label but they're not trying to make him into some bubblegum pop star who also talks about Real Serious Things; he's doing that on his own

source: i was a huge lupe stan until i heard food & liquor 2 and realized that lasers wasn't an aberration

#20 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:23 AM

Never heard of Mr. Fiasco, but the war hawks at the pentagon are now beating their war drums for our entrance into the Mali conflict in support the French. Oh good, now we can continue to justify our bloated military spending after our withdrawl from Afghanistan, how convenient. Last time we supported a French military campaign was in Vietnam, how well did that turn out?

We are flying in French troops on our airplanes already.

#21 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

He played the same song for 30 freaking minutes?

What a great show that sounds like

what is this a Dave Matthews or Widespread Panic concert?!

#22 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

music industry is virtually unrecognizable from those days.

#23 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

without getting into specific musicians/artists/whatever there's always the option of, you know, not doing whatever it is your label wants you to do.

no one's forcing you to do anything. lupe's comments are him just trying to save face because of the terrible reception his album got from everyone. it all boils down to his public image.

you can file this little "fiasco" under that category as well.

Well not really. Once you're in a deal for multiple records, I dont think you can just quit and start putting out your own albums, and he was complaining about Atlantic for a long time before Lasers came out.

Honestly I think Lupe just went crazy. Its a shame cause his first couple albums were great

#24 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 7,929 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Well not really. Once you're in a deal for multiple records, I dont think you can just quit and start putting out your own albums, and he was complaining about Atlantic for a long time before Lasers came out.

Honestly I think Lupe just went crazy. Its a shame cause his first couple albums were great

Why not? What happens if he just quits?

#25 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Why not? What happens if he just quits?

I assume its about money. If he broke his contract with Atlantic they could sue him if he tried to release an album under another label. IDK maybe he could get around it by just releasing mixtapes and touring

#26 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,932 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

what is this a Dave Matthews or Widespread Panic concert?!

Lupe doesn't actually play any instruments, so the comparisons to Phish and Dave Matthews band don't really work. Those types of bands will improvise with their instruments for half an hour; that's very different than looping the same beat of a song and just rapping the first verse over and over again intentionally trying to get thrown off so you can get some publicity for your dwindling career.

#27 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Just popping in to say The Cool is one of the best albums of the past ten years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com