Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What makes a Head Coach good?

23 posts in this topic

Posted

agreed.

harbaugh came in with a win now mentality.

rivera came in with a develop now, win later mentality.

harbaugh was also more prepared for the job.

Well the time to win is now, I don't disagree with your points but in RR defense there is no comparsion in talent. The 9ers are probably from top to bottom one of the most talented teams in the league. I don

Posted

Well the time to win is now, I don't disagree with your points but in RR defense there is no comparsion in talent. The 9ers are probably from top to bottom one of the most talented teams in the league. I don

they are considered that talented in part because of what harbaugh and his staff has pulled out of them.

what were they doing before he got there?

i'm not going to carry that discussion any further, tho. i've spent more than enough time on it in other threads.

i just believe 100% that harbaugh pulls more out of his players and takes them to a higher level of play and production than rivera has figured out to do and that he's better about managing a team and a game than rivera has learned to do.

Posted

The best argument I can make in Rivera's favor is that people say he should be a "leader of MEN". We don't have a team of men. We have a team filled with kids and inexperienced "veterans". we are one of the youngest teams in the league, and it shows on a game to game basis (DISCLAIMER: I know that gross, smitty, kalil, etc. are not young, and I would consider them men. They are the ones who seem to respect Rivera the most from what I have seen). We are young, and young guys can be stupid, stubborn and arrogant. Once everyone on the team grows up a little bit, we could have something special.

just my opinion.

We really aren't that young, around middle of the pack actually. Our offense is slightly older than the D as expected.

http://www.nflen.com/2012/09/average-age-of-all-nfl-teams-including.html.

Posted

We really aren't that young, around middle of the pack actually. Our offense is slightly older than the D as expected.

http://www.nflen.com...-including.html.

take out smitty and or gross, what's the age then? those two guys are skewing that to make the rest of the offense "more experienced" i guess is the best way to put it? our receivers are pups, half our line are pups, and our QB is a pup.

Posted

agreed.

harbaugh came in with a win now mentality.

rivera came in with a develop now, win later mentality.

harbaugh was also more prepared for the job.

Harbaugh was also a Head Coach before.....RR had to learn the job.

There is a huge difference in being an coordinator and being a head coach. Some great OC/DC make the jump successfully. Many do not (Dom Capers/Norv Turner, etc).

Jury is still out on RR.....I am willing to give one more season to see how he adapts.

Just like many players, the third year of anythign (coaching included) is usually the make or break year.

Posted

I thought the same thing. Its not a coincidence both the brothers are in the SB.

Can't do nothing about it though.

Posted

Harbaugh was also a Head Coach before.....RR had to learn the job.

There is a huge difference in being an coordinator and being a head coach. Some great OC/DC make the jump successfully. Many do not (Dom Capers/Norv Turner, etc).

Jury is still out on RR.....I am willing to give one more season to see how he adapts.

Just like many players, the third year of anythign (coaching included) is usually the make or break year.

agreed.

harbaugh also spent more time preparing himself to be a HC than rivera.

mentioned elsewhere that after harbaugh's playing career, his whole focus was on learning what he needed to become a head coach. rivera's time spent was on learning how to be a good DC.

Posted

I thought the same thing. Its not a coincidence both the brothers are in the SB.

Can't do nothing about it though.

i'm just admiring their successes. spotting harbaugh as a guy who would be successful quickly (not that it was hard for me to do, because it was kind of obvious) and then seeing him achieve is kind of cool. let's me know i was right about something. those moments don't come along enough.

Posted

I think that knowing your roster inside and out, while understanding all the nuances of the game are really important.

In the NFL I think that games are won with mismatches, and if you know your roster and the opposing teams very well, you can put your guys in a position to win.

Win and they will follow you, lose and no matter how gung ho you are and you will begin to lose the team.

Posted

i'm just admiring their successes. spotting harbaugh as a guy who would be successful quickly (not that it was hard for me to do, because it was kind of obvious) and then seeing him achieve is kind of cool. let's me know i was right about something. those moments don't come along enough.

Agree

Posted

Whoever gives the best head, coach.