#16 fieryprophet

fieryprophet

WARNING: Do not annoy!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts
  • LocationLa Grange, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:37 AM

Russel Wilson is one of the best players Wisconsin has ever produced, he will deserve that fat 2nd contract.

So I guess three years at NC State had nothing to do with it?

#17 JawnyBlaze

JawnyBlaze

• HUDDLER
  • 6,044 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:38 AM

Yea, when that story first came out on PFT I put in the comments that Cook would be an idiot to try that since the new CBA doesn't allow for rookie contracts to be renegotiated or anything until after the first two or three years, but the comment got deleted and a little bit later Florio wrote an article saying the same thing...

#18 LinvilleGorge

LinvilleGorge

• HUDDLER
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

I think every comment I ever left on PFT got deleted. LOL

Dude's a swagger jacker

#19 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

Not buying it. Cook is no idiot. He knows the new agreement does not allow it, so unless he is prepared to take on the league in court, there is no way it can happen.

It think it's ESPN being ESPN.

This. ESPN has stopped trying to be subjective. The pandering is beyond horrible, from "First Take", where the hosts argue just because it was interesting once, to "Mike and Mike", where they take time out of doing commercials for 1-800-FLOWERS, Subway, and GoToMeeting.com to to make such announcements as "This Just In....ESPN has changed our opinion on this".

#20 CarolinaPanthersCynic

CarolinaPanthersCynic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

3 million dollars is what Wilson will make compare that to what his back up is making, yes it's criminal

This is just how life works. We don't live in a meritocracy and the NFL isn't a meritocracy. It's not a unique situation and won't be the last time this happens.

It works both ways though. There's been plenty of overpaid players who contribute very little. The contract system is the cause of both scenarios. You start with a small contract and you might play like your worth more. You get a large contract and you might play like your worth less.

A broader discussion about the economics of the league and player salary might be warranted but this thread suggests Wilson is suffering a unique problem which he isn't.

He's young. If he keeps playing well he'll get his money.

#21 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Jordan Matthews Bandwagon.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,019 posts
  • LocationS.L.R.C.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

To be fair, Wilson will be criminally underpaid for the rest of his rookie deal.

Nature of the business man. Unless the FO of seattle feels like doing it, they don't have to do it.

#22 thunderraiden

thunderraiden

Thunder God Member

• HUDDLER
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

Nature of the business man. Unless the FO of seattle feels like doing it, they don't have to do it.

I don't think they can do it even if they wanted to. That would give Wilson leverage if it was possible for them to change it i.e. retire a la Palmer.

#23 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

with hype and success, wilson will supplement any loss of pay with genorous endorsement contracts.

he will get his money, you can guarantee that. we all love underdog stories and this guys story is no exception...cant help but root for him.

#24 iamcline

iamcline

Thou shalt not spilleth they beer.

• HUDDLER
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:52 AM

So I guess three years at NC State had nothing to do with it?

NCSU lost it's claim to fame with him by chasing him out of town.

#25 Pantherman

Pantherman

• HUDDLER
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Wilson was not drafted in the first and his contract can not be redone until his 4th year is up. That is the way the new system works for the rookies now. Wilson has proven to be a good QB. But he was drafted in a later round and started out as a back up in preseason. It's not like everyone knew he was going to be that good. But his pay day will come in a few years if he keeps playing the way he is. I like the new rookie scale system. It makes the rookies earn their money for change and not be given 50 million contract for what they did in college. If he is truly good. He will be good 3 years from now to earn that pay day. So he and his agent need to stop whining and go to work.

#26 Matthias

Matthias

• HUDDLER
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Wilson had a good year this year. Let's see how he does his sophmore and junior years before they start talking contract extension.

#27 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 19,701 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Why do people go out if their way to be butt hurt about something not said about Cam? It's really weird.

#28 Chaos

Chaos

A Star is born

• HUDDLER
  • 8,268 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

My guess is Kapernick is also grossly underpaid at this point. No idea what he makes, but I will go on assumption here.

#29 Doyle

Doyle

Headed to the county line

• HUDDLER
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationRiverboat Rivera

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:22 AM

My guess is Kapernick is also grossly underpaid at this point. No idea what he makes, but I will go on assumption here.

Potentially the lowest paid Superbowl winning QB ever.

#30 Blackmagic

Blackmagic

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Cook has been an agent for a long time, He wouldn't make a rookie mistake like that.
He's also Cam's agent and he didn't ask for a new contract for him yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.