Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The NFL Shield At Midfield

40 Years of Legal Abortion

45 posts in this topic

Laws are written every day telling people what they can and can not do with their own bodies...some for a helluva lot less importance than another developing human life.

I cant pretend that I like the idea of legal abortions, but its much preferable to the alternative. Making abortions illegal doesnt stop them from happening.

I cant pretend that I like the idea of legal abortions, but its much preferable to the alternative. Making abortions illegal doesnt stop them from happening.

Then it goes back to what I said...

Where to choose to draw the line between the developing human life and the wants of the host mother.

Pick anything you want to help formulate your response. Be it biology, medical science/technology, philosophy, societal, etc.

Then determine how you'd treat someone that broke the law you'd write.

Again, I think it will take a lot more study into the science of what consciousness is and when that begins. And I think in doing that, we are going to find out some things we’d rather not know. I mean if we find that an 8 month old fetus and a tasty cow has as much consciousness and recognition of pain as a newborn, then what are you going to do?

Current laws regarding fetuses outside abortion are hazy as well. Many states punish mothers of crack babies severely, but let off mothers of children with equally devastating Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (which is a much larger problem) with little to no punishment whatsoever (I’ll let you guess the reasons).

Also the law is never cut and dry on human life even when it’s established. Hunting down and killing another human being can be either murder or cause for national celebration depending on the circumstances.

let's take a step back for a minute.

does consciousness define intelligent life?

I dislike abortion . But I can't force my views on someone else. What you decide to do with your own body is your right. Why do conservatives want to involved government into our private lives by having the right to choose what you do with your own body? And for the first time in history the polls have put them in minority on this issue.

let's take a step back for a minute.

does consciousness define intelligent life?

depends... are you talking about puppies or hamburgers?

I guess that depends on whose emotions I'm attempting to appeal to in order to snap them into my way of thinking.

I guess that depends on whose emotions I'm attempting to appeal to in order to snap them into my way of thinking.

puppies it is!

mmmbeans to this thread is like Keanu Reaves is to acting