125 replies to this topic

#76 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,645 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

LOL at Rivera saying Harbaugh did good because he had good players already and he didnt

FWIW there is some significant truth to that

Not to take away from Harbaugh being a great coach

#77 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,575 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

yeah but as a coach,you dont make excuses. thats just lame.

#78 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

coaches that can win, do win.

those that can't make excuses.

until he's a proven winner, he's not.

#79 PantherFanOne

PantherFanOne

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,306 posts
  • LocationRock Hill S.C.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

It didn't sound to me like he was making excuses, he was stating the facts.

#80 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

It didn't sound to me like he was making excuses, he was stating the facts.

excuses are often based on fact and then spun to try and explain failure

#81 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Thanks man, I just listened to it.

It's almost like he's talking to all the mopey heads of the huddle.

"Judge me in the last 8 games!" lmao! I'm not sure if he reads the huddle but he has to know what people say about him.

Oh yes. And thank YOU for the show as well!! :startle:

#82 Gabeking

Gabeking

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Do you believe I don't know this?

He says he knows x's and o's. Prove it and be quick about as his record to date indicates the opposite.

All I know is a self-confident person has results and neither needs to complain or explain. He does both as the results do not speak for him.

All I'm saying is people here (not naming names) are acting like they desperately want him to fail, trying to find any reason, no matter how small, to ridicule the guy (and pointlessly and repetively compare him ever so jealously to Jim Harbaugh)... He obviously needs to start hot and make the playoffs this year for him have any chance at staying but since he's the coach now lets just have some faith and see what happens instead of making this place miserable by the constant and pointless ridicule that goes on here And no, I'm not saying he's the best coach ever and he doesn't deserve the criticism he gets either as he obviously has plenty to improve on as a coach.. It's just frusturating and quite frankly depressing to see everyone here constantly rag on him for every little thing, like radio interviews and the performance of other coaches.

And tell me specifically where he was complaining? I didnt get a hint of that at all.. just felt like he who was pleading his case as to why he should be given one more chance to prove himself. And honest question, If he were to go on the show to just say "I don't need to explain why I should still be here, I'm good with the X's and O's and that's that!" And then hang up, how would you feel about him? Would you feel confident in him?

#83 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,912 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

i'm going to judge him on a whole season. he doesn't get to cherry pick which part of the season to be judged. you go to the playoffs based on a whole season.

if he wants people to judge him on his successes, then he should be more successful.

things went better the end of the season, but that was the same story from the year before and we went backward. until he proves otherwise, that is his trend. that is his legacy as a HC. i don't care how much those players love him or if they don't give up. winning is all that matters. not just part of it, the whole of it. you don't have to be perfect, but you better be able to pull out a winning season.

i feel a bit better about him heading into next year, but i am still far from convinced he's the right man for the job. if this team doesn't come out of the gates the way it ended the season last year he needs to be gone.

he sounds like he's trying really hard to make a case that he knows what he's doing, but to continue to say that he could have used some help from more experienced coaching and doing nothing to bring any in shows that he's a hard case. it's not enough to say i could use some more help and then do nothing to get it.

he wants people to feel better about him being the coach here? win.

Just watch next season. That's all I have to say about it. I'm hoping for the best. I'll give him next year and that is it. Remember, it's not like we have much choice. He's staying here whether you like it or not. That's what is a fact. He's here one more year. AT LEAST.

But hey, I guess making snarky/snide remarks will help get him fired or something. LOL.

#84 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

you never know until you try.

#85 Dpantherman

Dpantherman

certified pee-on

• HUDDLER
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

LOL at Rivera saying Harbaugh did good because he had good players already and he didnt

people still on this roster comparison thing? Because its not even close

#86 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,784 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

when you consider how many close games we lost, we do have enough talent to win

#87 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,810 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

We all have had expectations. As we should.

But I feel a lot of you expect a rookie hc to learn everything there is to learn about head coaching in a single season.

20 games a year, and that includes playoffs.
That doesn't seem like a lot of games that would cover tons of instances for a coach to learn from.

He admitted that not having a coach with head coaching experience hurt.

As pissed as I've been at him at points during this last season, I do know he's a heck of a coach that the players love.
He will continue to grow, as all coaches do.

I'm personally excited about next season. Guess that's cause I've put the past behind me already.

I just wish the off season wasn't so long.

#88 rayzor

rayzor

• Moderators
  • -29,201 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:33 PM

when you consider how many close games we lost, we do have enough talent to win

we had the lead in most of those games. we had them won until we did dumb things to give them away.

the talent is there. the ability to finish hasn't been. that's on coaches and players, but mainly coaches. it's up to them to prepare players for those situations and then put forth a plan that will keep the team out in front on the scoreboard.

#89 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

I wish Rivera coached as well as he interviewed.

#90 csx

csx

• HUDDLER
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

coaches that can win, do win.

those that can't make excuses.

until he's a proven winner, he's not.

Players that can win, do win.

Saying we have the talent to win is absurd to me......nobody believes that do they?

We have pieces. We have a weak OL, one aging receiver and no secondary. You cant win with those things. That is why Gettleman or however you spell it was brought in.

I have never been sold on Rivera but there are too many other issues to blame everything on him. He will get another year and we will find out. I for one will wish him success and not harp on every single word he says like it will make a difference one way or the other.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ron Rivera, Dave Gettleman, Panther GM, Panther Head Coach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com