Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shula excited to be a coordinator again

54 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1358896808' post='2111093']
did he say he was going to do that?
[/quote]
If you look back at what he ran at TB and Bama ,it was based mostly on the run game.

I assume he will look at our backfield of Williama,Stew,and Tolbert and know that they are the foundation of a string power running game....and that is a QB's best friend.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358899084' post='2111129']

He was in the box in Tampa.

Why would he be in the box as a QB coach or head coach? (Jax and bama)
[/quote]
Then why are there so many photos of him coaching from the sideline in Tampa as OC?

He still is our QB coach isn't he?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='megadeth078' timestamp='1358899324' post='2111130']
You can't just auto-pilot and be a successful OC. I wish it was that simple.
[/quote]you can make things fit a group of players and create a situation where they can thrive without giving them crap to trip over.

i don't trust him to not screw this up. just like rivera, i think he's in over his head. the only thing that can pursuade me to change my mind (not that should matter to anyone) is seeing results on the field.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1358899579' post='2111134']
If you look back at what he ran at TB and Bama ,it was based mostly on the run game.

I assume he will look at our backfield of Williama,Stew,and Tolbert and know that they are the foundation of a string power running game....and that is a QB's best friend.
[/quote]
i don't care how it looks as long as it works and gets a lot of points on the board.

i'm not impressed by the thought of us having a "power running game" though, unless it's one that results in a ton of points. we have to be able to score early and often. that's not usually what you get with a "power running" offense.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1358899887' post='2111142']

i don't care how it looks as long as it works and gets a lot of points on the board.

i'm not impressed by the thought of us having a "power running game" though, unless it's one that results in a ton of points. we have to be able to score early and often. that's not usually what you get with a "power running" offense.
[/quote]

I don't want a predominantly power running game.

But, throw some of that in with the read option and Cam's vertical passing game...the Panthers become much more balanced and much more dangerous.

A little power running and the play action opens up. Keeps the defense honest and prohibits the opposing DL from just pinning their ears back and going after Cam.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1358900050' post='2111143']

I don't want a predominantly power running game.

But, throw some of that in with the read option and Cam's vertical passing game...the Panthers become much more balanced and much more dangerous.

A little power running and the play action opens up. Keeps the defense honest and prohibits the opposing DL from just pinning their ears back and going after Cam.
[/quote]
I think Shula got the job bc he was overall going to keep the O we have been running in place. just fix Chud's glaring weaknesses/issues.

If we wanted a run, run, run offense we should of just kept Fox. Cam is the most dangerous man on O.....offense still needs to be slanted toward him. just a little more help given to him than Chud gave him at times

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1358899649' post='2111136']

Then why are there so many photos of him coaching from the sideline in Tampa as OC?

[/quote]

Probably from when he was a positions coach. As an OC he was in the booth, just like he will be here.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1358900199' post='2111144']

I think Shula got the job bc he was overall going to keep the O we have been running in place. just fix Chud's glaring weaknesses/issues.

If we wanted a run, run, run offense we should of just kept Fox. Cam is the most dangerous man on O.....offense still needs to be slanted toward him. just a little more help given to him than Chud gave him at times
[/quote]

Both he and Rivera talked about keeping much if Chud's scheme, but adding and changing some things.

I assume this would be a better utilization if our RB's. but then again, I am just assuming this is what he meant. May be totally wrong....we will just have to wait and see.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CRA' timestamp='1358899649' post='2111136']

[/quote]

No. We are apparently hiring one.

As an aside, Shula talks funny.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1358900593' post='2111151']

Probably from when he was a positions coach. As an OC he was in the booth, just like he will be here.
[/quote]
Ah, you are right....forgot about him being there years before in that role. I guess Vinny T should of also tipped me off though

Posted · Report post

[quote name='MadHatter' timestamp='1358900634' post='2111154']

Both he and Rivera talked about keeping much if Chud's scheme, but adding and changing some things.

I assume this would be a better utilization if our RB's. but then again, I am just assuming this is what he meant. May be totally wrong....we will just have to wait and see.
[/quote]
I assume that as well...I really would like to know how many teams had less RB/FB rushing yards than Carolina last year. Cam needed more help. Chud got lazy or cocky.

Posted · Report post

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-11-03/sports/9611020763_1_mike-shula-bucs-offensive-vikings

Dungy was bathed in Gatorade after the Bucs' 24-13 triumph over the Vikings. The Bucs will have a hard time dousing a victorious Shula, who sits in the press box on game day.