• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#31 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Then why are there so many photos of him coaching from the sideline in Tampa as OC?

He still is our QB coach isn't he?

Probably from when he was a positions coach. As an OC he was in the booth, just like he will be here.

#32 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,748 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

I think Shula got the job bc he was overall going to keep the O we have been running in place. just fix Chud's glaring weaknesses/issues.

If we wanted a run, run, run offense we should of just kept Fox. Cam is the most dangerous man on O.....offense still needs to be slanted toward him. just a little more help given to him than Chud gave him at times

Both he and Rivera talked about keeping much if Chud's scheme, but adding and changing some things.

I assume this would be a better utilization if our RB's. but then again, I am just assuming this is what he meant. May be totally wrong....we will just have to wait and see.

#33 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Then why are there so many photos of him coaching from the sideline in Tampa as OC?

He still is our QB coach isn't he?

No. We are apparently hiring one.

As an aside, Shula talks funny.

#34 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Probably from when he was a positions coach. As an OC he was in the booth, just like he will be here.

Ah, you are right....forgot about him being there years before in that role. I guess Vinny T should of also tipped me off though

#35 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Both he and Rivera talked about keeping much if Chud's scheme, but adding and changing some things.

I assume this would be a better utilization if our RB's. but then again, I am just assuming this is what he meant. May be totally wrong....we will just have to wait and see.

I assume that as well...I really would like to know how many teams had less RB/FB rushing yards than Carolina last year. Cam needed more help. Chud got lazy or cocky.

#36 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

http://articles.orla...fensive-vikings

Dungy was bathed in Gatorade after the Bucs' 24-13 triumph over the Vikings. The Bucs will have a hard time dousing a victorious Shula, who sits in the press box on game day.

#37 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 24,653 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-11-03/sports/9611020763_1_mike-shula-bucs-offensive-vikings

Dungy was bathed in Gatorade after the Bucs' 24-13 triumph over the Vikings. The Bucs will have a hard time dousing a victorious Shula, who sits in the press box on game day.

Bleh, I hate press box guys....especially with young QBs

#38 Semaj

Semaj

The Cam to Kelvin Show

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationPalm Coast, Fl

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

I believe he will do just fine. Give him a shot. If it doesn't go well then they're all gone and we have a new staff next season.

#39 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

did he say he was going to do that?

Yeah pretty much.

#40 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,625 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Yeah pretty much.

haven't seen that anywhere. i've just seen people assume that he was.

i did see this that gave me a little hope:

“I thought we did a good job with Mike and Warrick back then because it’s hard to get those guys in rhythm,” Shula said. “It’s kind of a good problem to have. But there is the word, ‘problem,’ in that sentence. So we’ve got to continue to find out what each guy does well and ask him to do those things.”

But with Newton, who led the Panthers in rushing last season, Shula indicated he would use a mix of the zone read and more traditional runs, along with a downfield passing attack.

Read more here: http://www.charlotte...l#storylink=cpy

http://www.charlotte...oordinator.html

paying attention to what each runner does well and putting them in those situations is something that chud never did. chud admitted that he didn't even look on the field to see which back was on the field when he called plays. that's why we had williams doing things that stewart should have been doing and stewart doing things that williams should have been doing.

so i like that.

i also like that it will be a mixture of those things, the zone read, more traditional running plays, and the downfield pass. i just hope he mixes them up better than chud. it seems like he's going to be more observant than chud, but still it's just talk and being able to notice what's happening on the field (something that chud wasn't good at) doesn't mean that you'll make the best decision or make it quickly enough.

still, that's some of the most promising stuff i've seen. still not sold on it at all, but oh well...

#41 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationCharleston SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

haven't seen that anywhere. i've just seen people assume that he was.

i did see this that gave me a little hope:
paying attention to what each runner does well and putting them in those situations is something that chud never did. chud admitted that he didn't even look on the field to see which back was on the field when he called plays. that's why we had williams doing things that stewart should have been doing and stewart doing things that williams should have been doing.

so i like that.

i also like that it will be a mixture of those things, the zone read, more traditional running plays, and the downfield pass. i just hope he mixes them up better than chud. it seems like he's going to be more observant than chud, but still it's just talk and being able to notice what's happening on the field (something that chud wasn't good at) doesn't mean that you'll make the best decision or make it quickly enough.

still, that's some of the most promising stuff i've seen. still not sold on it at all, but oh well...

I 'm cautiously optimistic on Shula. Rivera said during his interview yesterday that he liked how Shula interviewed referring to when Shula said he was going to utilize the good things we're already doing and combine with some of his own wrinkles.

#42 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

One theme that has seemed to repeat this offseason is the idea that Shula will listen and take the input of others. This has suggested to me that Chud was not very good at soliciting or accepting the ideas of others.

If these things are true, then shame on Chud and kudos for Shula.

#43 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,419 posts
  • LocationSpartanburg, SC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

IMO, the only way Shula got this job was convincing Rivera he knew what he was going to do. That he had a plan and Rivera bought into that plan. To me, that sounds like success. Rivera would not have given Shula the job if he wasn't positve he could get the job done.

Just another reason to be optimistic for the future.

#44 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• ALL-PRO
  • 5,274 posts
  • LocationWNC

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

what is his own stamp?

what's the "good stuff" he'll be keeping?

i worry about him trying to make a name for himself rather than just not getting in the way like he should.

I'm cautiously optimistic. He doesn't exactly have the resume to push his own agenda and act stubborn in situations when flexibility is required. Of course, that doesn't mean anything now that he has an offense worth a damn. Kinda hard to gauge how well he will do since he was so bad the last time he called plays in the NFL.

If Shula is smart and willing to learn, he will learn from his previous mistakes and will be able to recognize the mistakes Chud made. He is saying the right things. As a fan, I have to hope, both for Shula and Rivera.

Also, I hear the hate from his previous OC and HC performances. Perhaps he got those jobs prematurely because of his name...he was not really ready. He has seemed willing to take steps back and work. Hope he has learned. Wouldn't it be great if this were his time?

#45 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• HUDDLER
  • 5,495 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

He has seemed willing to take steps back and work.

I agree this speaks well for his character. He has never given off a sense of entitlement because he has a legendary father. It will make a great story if he can find new success at this stage of his career.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com