Shula excited to be a coordinator again

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 TheMaulClaw

TheMaulClaw

• LocationCharleston SC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

haven't seen that anywhere. i've just seen people assume that he was.

i did see this that gave me a little hope:
paying attention to what each runner does well and putting them in those situations is something that chud never did. chud admitted that he didn't even look on the field to see which back was on the field when he called plays. that's why we had williams doing things that stewart should have been doing and stewart doing things that williams should have been doing.

so i like that.

i also like that it will be a mixture of those things, the zone read, more traditional running plays, and the downfield pass. i just hope he mixes them up better than chud. it seems like he's going to be more observant than chud, but still it's just talk and being able to notice what's happening on the field (something that chud wasn't good at) doesn't mean that you'll make the best decision or make it quickly enough.

still, that's some of the most promising stuff i've seen. still not sold on it at all, but oh well...

I 'm cautiously optimistic on Shula. Rivera said during his interview yesterday that he liked how Shula interviewed referring to when Shula said he was going to utilize the good things we're already doing and combine with some of his own wrinkles.

#42 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

One theme that has seemed to repeat this offseason is the idea that Shula will listen and take the input of others. This has suggested to me that Chud was not very good at soliciting or accepting the ideas of others.

If these things are true, then shame on Chud and kudos for Shula.

#43 iamhubby1

iamhubby1

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationSpartanburg, SC
HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

IMO, the only way Shula got this job was convincing Rivera he knew what he was going to do. That he had a plan and Rivera bought into that plan. To me, that sounds like success. Rivera would not have given Shula the job if he wasn't positve he could get the job done.

Just another reason to be optimistic for the future.

#44 ladypanther

ladypanther

SENIOR HUDDLER

• LocationWNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

what is his own stamp?

what's the "good stuff" he'll be keeping?

i worry about him trying to make a name for himself rather than just not getting in the way like he should.

I'm cautiously optimistic. He doesn't exactly have the resume to push his own agenda and act stubborn in situations when flexibility is required. Of course, that doesn't mean anything now that he has an offense worth a damn. Kinda hard to gauge how well he will do since he was so bad the last time he called plays in the NFL.

If Shula is smart and willing to learn, he will learn from his previous mistakes and will be able to recognize the mistakes Chud made. He is saying the right things. As a fan, I have to hope, both for Shula and Rivera.

Also, I hear the hate from his previous OC and HC performances. Perhaps he got those jobs prematurely because of his name...he was not really ready. He has seemed willing to take steps back and work. Hope he has learned. Wouldn't it be great if this were his time?

#45 Marguide

Marguide

South of the Border

HUDDLER

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

He has seemed willing to take steps back and work.

I agree this speaks well for his character. He has never given off a sense of entitlement because he has a legendary father. It will make a great story if he can find new success at this stage of his career.

#46 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

Keep Pounding...all the way to...the draft! :D

• LocationNC
SUPPORTER

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

did he say he was going to do that?

Not directly I suppose. But it is evident that Chud didn't do that, and when he did the offense clicked. Give shula the benefit of the doubt. I don't like the hire but damn it he has experience, he's been with cam and around the system for 2 years. Maybe he'll let Cam have more freedom and let him call his own plays and audibles.

Much like all of us, I'm hoping for the best and I'm crossing my fingers, elbows, legs, balls. Everything.

#47 poorboysrev

poorboysrev

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

Having a strong power running game is also how you close out all of these 4th quarter leads we blew this year. We're not going Foxball with Cam. Shula keeps stressing deep passing game. But during the last few games when Cam was under center and actually had a running game to playaction off of that's when his passing improved. Also helped the read option/ QB runs be successful again. Notice how many long drives we were able to sustain at the end of the season because we could run it finally. Also Steve Smith said point blank that Chud didn't listen to the players or other coaches about the plays they didn't like. That's why you had Smith, Dwill, and Cam getting frustrated. If Shula can just be capable we will be good(assuming we bring in oline talent)

#48 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

Moderators

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Having a strong power running game is also how you close out all of these 4th quarter leads we blew this year. We're not going Foxball with Cam. Shula keeps stressing deep passing game. But during the last few games when Cam was under center and actually had a running game to playaction off of that's when his passing improved. Also helped the read option/ QB runs be successful again. Notice how many long drives we were able to sustain at the end of the season because we could run it finally. Also Steve Smith said point blank that Chud didn't listen to the players or other coaches about the plays they didn't like. That's why you had Smith, Dwill, and Cam getting frustrated. If Shula can just be capable we will be good(assuming we bring in oline talent)

when did smitty say that? i missed it.

#49 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

SUPPORTER

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Yeah, me too. I would think that would have been brought up multiple times.

#50 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

He said it on WFNZ last week on The Drive as a guest host.

He's guest hosting Mondays and Weds.

He may be on vacation now. So you may have to check that next week to see if he's back.

He seemed quite disgruntled in Chuds inflexibility with the offense (even with stuff that Steve said didn't work, that 'Chud kept shoving down our throats'), as well as his inability to listen to other position coaches when implementing the offense, offensive plays.

So It's true. I think that's why he and so many other players are happy (or at least not complaining) concerning Chud's departure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users