Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Takes Over Speaking Gig for RG3

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.register-herald.com/todayssportsfront/x2056591358/Newton-not-RG3-to-speak-at-BAC-banquet

[quote]Doctors have sidelined Robert Griffin III, canceling his trip to Beckley to serve as the guest speaker at the annual tip-off banquet for the Big Atlantic Classic. But tournament director Jim Justice has found a backup the Redskins wish they could have had when their star rookie quarterback went down with a knee injury in the NFL playoffs.

Coming in Griffin’s place — and joining a list of past speakers like Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Terry Bradshaw, Shaquille O’Neal and Tim Tebow, who have come to Beckley to talk with fans at the Big Atlantic Classic — will be Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

“We fell off a cliff there, but our farm manager in South Carolina came up with Cam, and we were able to get him,” Justice said Monday night. “He’s just a superstar beyond belief, so that’s really special.”[/quote]
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure how I feel about this... Beckley is great and all but but he was second to Bob?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SBVG' timestamp='1358886858' post='2110812']
I'm not sure how I feel about this... Beckley is great and all but but he was second to Bob?
[/quote]

I thinks it speaks highly of Cam that he has no qualms representing the Panthers even if he's not the first choice.
6 people like this

Posted · Report post

Beckley? Wow. I'm originally from near there :lol:

Posted · Report post

I guess this is a Win Win for all parties involved.

Go Cam!

And please heal up better and play smarter--next season Robert Griffin The Third.

Posted · Report post

Cue the clip where Cam gets the game ball and his teammates ask for a speech...

Posted · Report post

almost makes up for the probowl

Posted · Report post

Well, West Virginia does tend to be either Steelers or Redskins territory. So going for RG3 *first* makes perfect sense for them.

Good on Cam for helping them out. I bet when RG3 took Cam's number after the Panthers beat dat ass this season, he never thought he'd end up using it.

"Ummmmm... yeah, Big Bro? Its me, Bob... need a favor."

Posted · Report post

So what was RG3's excuse to no show up? Probably something to do about his knee right? I'm being serious, not a shot at bob.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Ivan The Awesome' timestamp='1358895791' post='2111074']
So what was RG3's excuse to no show up? Probably something to do about his knee right? I'm being serious, not a shot at bob.
[/quote]

Some malarkey about them being afraid he'd get a blood clot on the plane trip there.

I tell ya... that Bob sure is one tough SOB.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='RelaxImaPro' timestamp='1358896037' post='2111079']

Some malarkey about them being afraid he'd get a blood clot on the plane trip there.

I tell ya... that Bob sure is one tough SOB.
[/quote]

...man.

Is he still drinking from a sippy cup too? Now I am going to take shots at him. That's bogus..

Posted · Report post

Beckley, WV...drove through there once. Hopefully, I never have to drive through there or WV again.
Good for Cam, though for helping out.