Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cam Takes Over Speaking Gig for RG3

27 posts in this topic

Posted

http://www.register-herald.com/todayssportsfront/x2056591358/Newton-not-RG3-to-speak-at-BAC-banquet

Doctors have sidelined Robert Griffin III, canceling his trip to Beckley to serve as the guest speaker at the annual tip-off banquet for the Big Atlantic Classic. But tournament director Jim Justice has found a backup the Redskins wish they could have had when their star rookie quarterback went down with a knee injury in the NFL playoffs.

Coming in Griffin’s place — and joining a list of past speakers like Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, Terry Bradshaw, Shaquille O’Neal and The Golden Calf of Bristol, who have come to Beckley to talk with fans at the Big Atlantic Classic — will be Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.

“We fell off a cliff there, but our farm manager in South Carolina came up with Cam, and we were able to get him,” Justice said Monday night. “He’s just a superstar beyond belief, so that’s really special.”

2 people like this

Posted

I'm not sure how I feel about this... Beckley is great and all but but he was second to Bob?

Posted

I'm not sure how I feel about this... Beckley is great and all but but he was second to Bob?

I thinks it speaks highly of Cam that he has no qualms representing the Panthers even if he's not the first choice.

6 people like this

Posted

Beckley? Wow. I'm originally from near there :lol:

Posted

I guess this is a Win Win for all parties involved.

Go Cam!

And please heal up better and play smarter--next season Robert Griffin The Third.

Posted

Cue the clip where Cam gets the game ball and his teammates ask for a speech...

Posted

almost makes up for the probowl

Posted

Well, West Virginia does tend to be either Steelers or Redskins territory. So going for RG3 *first* makes perfect sense for them.

Good on Cam for helping them out. I bet when RG3 took Cam's number after the Panthers beat dat ass this season, he never thought he'd end up using it.

"Ummmmm... yeah, Big Bro? Its me, Bob... need a favor."

Posted

So what was RG3's excuse to no show up? Probably something to do about his knee right? I'm being serious, not a shot at bob.

Posted

So what was RG3's excuse to no show up? Probably something to do about his knee right? I'm being serious, not a shot at bob.

Some malarkey about them being afraid he'd get a blood clot on the plane trip there.

I tell ya... that Bob sure is one tough SOB.

1 person likes this

Posted

Some malarkey about them being afraid he'd get a blood clot on the plane trip there.

I tell ya... that Bob sure is one tough SOB.

...man.

Is he still drinking from a sippy cup too? Now I am going to take shots at him. That's bogus..

Posted

Beckley, WV...drove through there once. Hopefully, I never have to drive through there or WV again.

Good for Cam, though for helping out.