Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The ability of Fathers and Sons to have a conversation...

77 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Same issue and it's starting to bother me more and more as we both get older. He's also a smoker who hasn't been to a doctor for even a physical in probably 10 years, and he's 52 now, so who knows if time is on my side or not.

Growing up, he never missed a ballgame or anything like that, but he works constantly. I'm talking 16 hours a day, and when he's home and awake for more than 2 hours, he talks about work or complains about politics or something clearly ridiculous that we would fight over anyway. He's always given me what I needed and more, but I honestly can't remember the last "real" conversation had. He asks about school, he's talked to me about taking over his business, etc., but those conversations are typically one sided and few and far between. I don't have a relationship with my brother either, and essentially only talk to my mom about things and it's always bothered me, but never been fixed. Something I need to work on.

Posted · Report post

my father disowned me and boycotted my wedding... when i call my mom he pretends not to know who i am when he picks up the phone

my father-in-law, however, is a damn fine fellow and fills in quite nicely.

Posted · Report post

man there are some heavy-duty daddy issues in this thread

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1359010329' post='2112698']
my father disowned me and boycotted my wedding... when i call my mom he pretends not to know who i am when he picks up the phone

my father-in-law, however, is a damn fine fellow and fills in quite nicely.
[/quote]

Is this b/c of the religion thing?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1359010580' post='2112700']
man there are some heavy-duty daddy issues in this thread
[/quote]

Maybe we should all be strippers.
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

did you disagree a lot growing up? me and my dad are identical in personality and stubbornness- therefore we get along swimmingly or not at all. Thankfully as I've matured, we get along great 99% of the time we are together.

Posted · Report post

I hear ya Kurb. Dealing with dads can be difficult.

I think the best thing we can do is learn from it in how we relate to our sons. I am open and honest and willing to listen to them at any point. I hug them every day and let them know they are loved. Thats our most important job, imo.

Posted · Report post

I have two girls but still a dad. I say the biggest thing we can do for our kids is say I'm sorry or I was wrong. That will endear them to you as much as a big trip or what have you.
That will help them feel like you are approachable which is huge in he teen years.

Posted · Report post

My sperm donor left when I was 1 or 2. Went years without talking, saw him for 1 Christmas when I was around 8 I think, only time I ever remember. More years no contact, around when I was 14 he called saying he wanted a relationship and stuff. Called about once a week for like a month then stopped. Last year his mom died, said he wanted me and my brothers there, blah, blah, blah. Saw him when we went there, he repeated how he wanted a relationship, was sorry about stuff, more crap. Haven't talked to him since. My point being: quit yer bitching. Some people don't even have dads.

[color=#FFFFFF]Jk. Just feeling like an asshole today[/color]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='nc_biscuit' timestamp='1359036108' post='2112777']
Is this b/c of the religion thing?
[/quote]

it ties in a little. it's honestly a ridiculously long and complicated story but he does insist he'll never talk to me again because i bartend... lol

Posted · Report post

I have a great relationship with my father. I value it tremendously and know not everyone is lucky enough to have what I have. I used to take it for granted but that all changed about 6 years ago.