Photo
- - - - -

The ability of Fathers and Sons to have a conversation...

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 chef17

chef17

Senior Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

My sperm donor left when I was 1 or 2. Went years without talking, saw him for 1 Christmas when I was around 8 I think, only time I ever remember. More years no contact, around when I was 14 he called saying he wanted a relationship and stuff. Called about once a week for like a month then stopped. Last year his mom died, said he wanted me and my brothers there, blah, blah, blah. Saw him when we went there, he repeated how he wanted a relationship, was sorry about stuff, more crap. Haven't talked to him since. My point being: quit yer bitching. Some people don't even have dads.

Jk. Just feeling like an asshole today

#47 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,723 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Is this b/c of the religion thing?

it ties in a little. it's honestly a ridiculously long and complicated story but he does insist he'll never talk to me again because i bartend... lol

#48 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

I have a great relationship with my father. I value it tremendously and know not everyone is lucky enough to have what I have. I used to take it for granted but that all changed about 6 years ago.

#49 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,086 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have a great relationship with my father. I value it tremendously and know not everyone is lucky enough to have what I have. I used to take it for granted but that all changed about 6 years ago.

when you got your period?

#50 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• HUDDLER
  • 8,390 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

it ties in a little. it's honestly a ridiculously long and complicated story but he does insist he'll never talk to me again because i bartend... lol

Wow, that must be pretty hard to swallow?

Can't imagine cutting someone out of my life because of the work they choose to support their family.

#51 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,446 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

wow, that's tough man.

I guess I'll never understand the way some people think. I can't imagine anything that my sons could do to disappoint me so much that I wouldn't want to have a relationship with them.

#52 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,993 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

when you got your period?

I thought it was marinara

#53 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

I am the youngest of my father's 4 sons...the previous three...one committed suicide when I was 11, the other two both dropped out of school before getting to grade 12. One of those has gone on to be quite successful at his own business, the other was and is always the black sheep of the family. So I grew up with all this pressure to be the good son, the successful son, go to school, you can't have fun, blah blah blah. Yes, it molded me some, but it also made me bitter.

now, due to illnesses etc, my dad and I barely speak. We had a time in between school and about 15 years ago that we got pretty close, but due to some very odd and extreme circumstances of late, we hardly talk at all. I will regret this I am sure at some point, but right now, it works.

#54 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

wow, that's tough man.

I guess I'll never understand the way some people think. I can't imagine anything that my sons could do to disappoint me so much that I wouldn't want to have a relationship with them.

yeah it's dumb. there was a lot of physical and verbal abuse when i was growing up, it was a really toxic environment but he never really ceased contact entirely until i blew my knees out and got a rejection notice from the marine corps and moved out and started "dressing like a punk" (khaki cargoes and flip flops lol... he's stuck in the 60's) and listening to evil satan rock music (back then it was christian rock... again lol) and subsequently quit my job and traveled the world. then any contact was solely to insist i'd be homeless, never publish a book, etc.

once i started bartending he cut me off completely, told me he didn't consider me related to him anymore, refused to come to my wedding in spite of repeated invites, and when he found out my wife was pregnant he told my mom that he didn't want any part of the baby's life, etc.

in retrospect there is good to come of it because i'm now very conscious of the necessity to do everything i can to not be a complete dick of a father

#55 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

damn that sounds so familiar Phiily!

#56 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

it's amazing really how much your post made my blood boil now! it's made me realize that I've got alot of anger and poo just locked up inside of me and that I should probably have a major vent session with someone soon before I pop my top.

#57 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

it's amazing really how much your post made my blood boil now! it's made me realize that I've got alot of anger and poo just locked up inside of me and that I should probably have a major vent session with someone soon before I pop my top.

i'm fortunate to have an extremely good network and community of people i'm close to that i've been able to discuss this sort of thing with for years... it's really helped me to come to terms with a lot of it and develop strategies for making sure i don't perpetuate these harmful trends in my own offspring. i think it's part of why i'm able to talk about it emotionlessly and detachedly. when you internalize these things it can get ugly.

if you want to vent about stuff, this may be as good a place as any (especially because it seems like half the people on here have dealt with similar poo.) what better shrink's office than a thread on the carolina huddle dot com?

#58 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

good support is a hard thing to find....and for me, letting it out seems to be even harder.

I've got poo in me that's never been let out...and probably never will!

on this topic though..it just fuging amazes me how much pressure my parents put on me when I was growing up to be the good son, to not fug up like my brithers did, to make something of myself. All at the same time there was no trust, no length of leash...just do what you're told and be good with that. Be honest. How many times I got in poo over the years for apparently not being honest because that was so important! Was something I truly tried to build my foundation on and I think I was successful. Then I find out, poo, only a few years ago that my entire family structure was built on nothing but lies. That whole story of your mom and I meeting in school and being true loves from day one...guess what...all bullshit. Your mom was married when I met her...that older sister you have and that older brother that you used to have...oh...we might have forgotten to mention, your mom had them before we even met. oh, and your next oldest brother, well, he was born a few months after your mom and I got married. Sorry...we might have missed those details! My oldest sister knew all this time that 'dad' wasnt her dad all along and you know...please don't tell your brothers and your little sister because they don't really need to know...we'll decide when it's best.

there's the whole physical abuse piece...the child abandonment piece...my sister and I joke about it now...but I don't know how many times her and I would be out with our parents on vacation and they would feel the need to go to the bar and have a few drinks...and well...its just easier if you two just wait in the car....we know it's 110 degrees...but that little tree there will provide some shade soon. We'll just have one and be right back!!! ya....right

that's just the start of it....so much more inside that will always remain inside...so much more than when spoken of or typed out would sound trivial I am sure...but when you add it all up....well, it really adds up!!!

fug em I say

#59 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

My dad is pretty great. Except for his racism. I have scolded him enough for it now, that he knows not to do things around me like using slurs, telling jokes, etc. And he knows the worst thing he could do is to do something like that around my daughter.

#60 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,723 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

good support is a hard thing to find....and for me, letting it out seems to be even harder.

I've got poo in me that's never been let out...and probably never will!

on this topic though..it just fuging amazes me how much pressure my parents put on me when I was growing up to be the good son, to not fug up like my brithers did, to make something of myself. All at the same time there was no trust, no length of leash...just do what you're told and be good with that. Be honest. How many times I got in poo over the years for apparently not being honest because that was so important! Was something I truly tried to build my foundation on and I think I was successful. Then I find out, poo, only a few years ago that my entire family structure was built on nothing but lies. That whole story of your mom and I meeting in school and being true loves from day one...guess what...all bullshit. Your mom was married when I met her...that older sister you have and that older brother that you used to have...oh...we might have forgotten to mention, your mom had them before we even met. oh, and your next oldest brother, well, he was born a few months after your mom and I got married. Sorry...we might have missed those details! My oldest sister knew all this time that 'dad' wasnt her dad all along and you know...please don't tell your brothers and your little sister because they don't really need to know...we'll decide when it's best.

there's the whole physical abuse piece...the child abandonment piece...my sister and I joke about it now...but I don't know how many times her and I would be out with our parents on vacation and they would feel the need to go to the bar and have a few drinks...and well...its just easier if you two just wait in the car....we know it's 110 degrees...but that little tree there will provide some shade soon. We'll just have one and be right back!!! ya....right

that's just the start of it....so much more inside that will always remain inside...so much more than when spoken of or typed out would sound trivial I am sure...but when you add it all up....well, it really adds up!!!

fug em I say

hot damn. i'm going to stop complaining now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com