Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penetta removes military ban on women in combat

99 posts in this topic

Posted

It's not about equal rights, it's about staying alive.

If you were in a firefight and got shot in the leg and needed to be evacuated, who would you rather have to help pull you out of the killzone:

a. Can do 20 pull ups and carry his/her own weight and more

b. Can do 3 pull ups and barely carry his/her own weight

It's about a being a liability, not equality.

If you get shot in the leg, you are the liability, not female squadmates.

Posted

This thread makes it easy to identify the servicemembers or veterans who have never had boots on ground. You guys realize the fitness tests are as outdated as Alice packs and halftracks, right? It has generally nothing to do with combat effectiveness.

Sure, she may only do 11 push-ups, but can she carry a SAW and a couple of pork chops?

And raise your hand if you've ever walked your ruck march pace on patrol in country. Didn't think so.

When's the last time you were flanked, then started doing sit ups?

Carrying a SAW is different from carrying 200lbs of dead weight under duress.

Posted

mmmm pork chops.

Posted

If you get shot in the leg, you are the liability, not female squadmates.

So you're saying you're ok with being injured in combat knowing that the woman next to you sure as hell won't be able to pull you out to safety if needed?

Posted

Thanks for the reminder G5, until you piped up I had no idea THATS WHY I JOINED THE NAVY INSTEAD OF THE ARMY

Just reminding you what this thread was about.

Posted

I think it's a bad idea.

I kinda do too.

I would hope that they only allow women on the front lines who seriously want to be there, and request as much.

War is not what you see on tv...

Terrible things happen on both sides, and I can understand service-men who have seen the realities, that dont think that women are emotionally equipped to deal with situations such as 9 year old boys pointing an AK-47 at them, or rapes or villiage-burning...etc.

I have never been in the military, but my father was a Ranger scout in Vietnam, and I heard enough from him to know than it can only be worse than I imagine.

Posted

So you're saying you're ok with being injured in combat knowing that the woman next to you sure as hell won't be able to pull you out to safety if needed?

Having been a 68W, I can safely say.... You'll be fine.

Posted

Having been a 68W, I can safely say.... You'll be fine.

Jarheads don't understand Army lingo but looking it up can see you were a medic.

My point is patching up someone who is laying on the ground and being able to carry 200 lbs of deadweight is two different things.

My exact stance on this is that women should have equal rights, but should equally be physically able to perform. Why request to be equal when in reality there is no physical equality?

Posted

On one hand I'm all for it, if they can pass the same tests as the men.

On the other hand, I feel that it will make parts of the team weaker. I would be much more liable to do something foolish to save a woman's life vs. a man.

But that's on YOU not them.

1 person likes this

Posted

Jarheads don't understand Army lingo but looking it up can see you were a medic.

My point is patching up someone who is laying on the ground and being able to carry 200 lbs of deadweight is two different things.

My exact stance on this is that women should have equal rights, but should equally be physically able to perform. Why request to be equal when in reality there is no physical equality?

Pulling a Forrest Gump, picking up dead weight and running off the X is a tall order for many males too. Especially when you're trying to account for all the gear.

Anyone in the military knows females who try to look cute and helpless when they have work to do. We also know females who want to rip those types apart for giving females a bad name.

In the Army, unlike the Marines, grunts go through a different initial entry training than other MOSes. It's longer and much tougher than what the rest of us endure. If a female makes it through there (as is, no standards changed) then I think she belongs in the infantry. Atleast then we know she's not cute and helpless.

Posted

a lot of assumptions, i mean what if the guy in question is 100 pounds soaking wet with a full pack? Can he drag your 200lb body after you've been shot?

Probably not.

Without question there will be some roles where there won't be a fit, and it will provide a lot of challenges in the short term.

Over the long haul i think it'll provide for a better fighting force.

Along with the fact its the right thing to do.

Posted

But that's on YOU not them.

Does not matter, it's an instinctual thing that would be awfully hard to breed out of men.