Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Penetta removes military ban on women in combat

99 posts in this topic

Posted

Does not matter, it's an instinctual thing that would be awfully hard to breed out of men.

Yeah ... I guess it's the same kind of instinctual thing that requires women in some cultures to have to cover themselves from head to toe, because, you know ... men are, by pure instinct, attracted to them and would never be able to control their sexual urges around women who showed too much.

The same instinct that men who beat their wives/girlfriends to a pulp for sport have, right? That protective gene all men seem to have.

Posted

Yeah ... I guess it's the same kind of instinctual thing that requires women in some cultures to have to cover themselves from head to toe, because, you know ... men are, by pure instinct, attracted to them and would never be able to control their sexual urges around women who showed too much.

The same instinct that men who beat their wives/girlfriends to a pulp for sport have, right? That protective gene all men seem to have.

There you go...you are getting it right, comparing cultures that go out of their way to say that women are second class citizens, to me saying that I would have trouble seeing a woman shot and sitting still until the clash is over. Good job.

I am merely pointing out that many men would have more trouble seeing a woman lying on a battlefield with her legs blown off than they would if it were a man.

You want to go out there, fine. I will not stop you, but do know that there will be consequences.

Posted

There you go...you are getting it right, comparing cultures that go out of their way to say that women are second class citizens, to me saying that I would have trouble seeing a woman shot and sitting still until the clash is over. Good job.

I am merely pointing out that many men would have more trouble seeing a woman lying on a battlefield with her legs blown off than they would if it were a man.

You want to go out there, fine. I will not stop you, but do know that there will be consequences.

You went "out there" with your claim that "men" (not just American men) have these instincts that can't be helped ... it's your reasoning, not mine.

And, what's with the threat? Really? Where's your protective instinct?

Posted

I guess we'll see how this goes. At first glance I don't like it for a variety of reasons. I will have less of an issue if the physical standards are not separated. If one person has to be able to do X then so must the other person.

Posted

If as people are saying the men fail to do their jobs when they see a woman injured, I'm sure they will figure out training to compensate. That or soldiers who can't do ether job would be replaced with ones that can.

Posted

If as people are saying the men fail to do their jobs when they see a woman injured, I'm sure they will figure out training to compensate. That or soldiers who can't do ether job would be replaced with ones that can.

I contend that if replacing soldiers were so easy then this change would not have happened.

Posted

My concern is the media!

My fear is what will happen when the first naked female body is being dragged thru the streets of the next Somalia - how many pounds of flesh will pay for that? How many of our soldiers will be sent in harms way to get 'revenge" when the media stirs that to a national crisis.

No matter how politcally correct this nation has become - I'm not sure that the Nation will ever be ready to deal with something like that.

I'm not in favor of it - I'm not saying they can't do the job, I'm sure they can.

Call it what you want, I know for a fact that I am one of those that would get killed trying to protect a women in that situation.

Posted

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-military-lauded-for-creating-genderneutral-kill,31015/

“The U.S. Armed Forces have been gender-neutral in their victims for years, and now they’re finally leveling the killing field for female combatants as well,” said Nadine Hynes, a retired Marine Corps Lance Corporal who was unable to add to the carnage of Iraq’s blood-soaked, limb-strewn slaughterscapes due to the Pentagon’s 1994 rule barring women from infantry and artillery roles. “Now, women will have the same opportunity to accidentally gun down innocent civilians or be ripped apart by insurgent rocket fire as men.” At press time, servicewomen were celebrating the likelihood of additional policy gains that would include the right to return from service equally haunted by their ordeals, and the right to face just as many hurdles to proper mental health care as their fellow servicemen.

Posted

Would the enemy rather face a man or a woman?

Posted

Would the enemy rather face a man or a woman?

Man... Obviously.

Posted

My concern is the media!

My fear is what will happen when the first naked female body is being dragged thru the streets of the next Somalia - how many pounds of flesh will pay for that? How many of our soldiers will be sent in harms way to get 'revenge" when the media stirs that to a national crisis.

No matter how politcally correct this nation has become - I'm not sure that the Nation will ever be ready to deal with something like that.

I'm not in favor of it - I'm not saying they can't do the job, I'm sure they can.

Call it what you want, I know for a fact that I am one of those that would get killed trying to protect a women in that situation.

No, No that can't be. Panthers Lover said that's not possible or for that matter even probable.

Posted

http://www.theonion.com/articles/us-military-lauded-for-creating-genderneutral-kill,31015/

Oh man... I read the quote before I saw the URL. I was seriously gonna question any of your input to the topic.

You got me :(