#16 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Ron and Gettleman have both openly spoken about being fans of taking BPA.

Ron said he liked what he saw out of our defensive line, and that they would be focusing on the offensive line more in an earlier interview, if I recall correctly.

Gettleman said we need big guys, touchdown scorers, guys to help Cam.

I can almost guarantee our first pick will be an offensive linemen or a receiver.

#17 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Related to the question but a bit off topic. Hurney sucked in the draft when he did not have a head coach that was not a lame duck or brand new.

Rivera and Hurney actually had a good draft in 2012. Kuechly, Silatolu, Alexander, Nortman were regular contributors. I expect DJ Campbell to compete for a starting spot next season. Adams is the only question mark, and I think he will be better. That is a stellar draft.

I think the most glaring weaknesses are at DT and OL. We could upgrade CB and WR.
Note about WR: We have three players who were not factors in 2012; if either of them steps up, we are going to be good there. Gettis, Adams, and that tall WR on the PS (forgot name; lazy).

#18 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

double

#19 MHS831

MHS831

• HUDDLER
  • 7,172 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Ron and Gettleman have both openly spoken about being fans of taking BPA.

Ron said he liked what he saw out of our defensive line, and that they would be focusing on the offensive line more in an earlier interview, if I recall correctly.

Gettleman said we need big guys, touchdown scorers, guys to help Cam.

I can almost guarantee our first pick will be an offensive linemen or a receiver.

Bwood,
I have been following the draft for years, and you seem to be very knowledgeable about it. Not just this, but in related comments. I would like to add to your comment. Gettlemen said, something like, "BPA if all things are equal"

Your next comment shows his philosophy (QB, Big guys, TD makers, pass rushers).

Now throw in our needs that fit that criteria: DT, OL, and WR.

Now, in my opinion, you have to consider the draft. How much depth is there at each position? I call a position like LOT and QB rarities. They are hard to find outside the first half of the first round. They do not make it to free agency.

Can you find a starting WR in free agency or the second round? Yes.
Can you find a starting DT in free agency or the second round? Yes
Can you find a starting OG in free agency or the second round? Yes
Can you find a starting LT in free agency or the second round? No.

I think we will draft a LT, and Lane Johnson is that guy. I fear that the Rams will trade up with Tampa Bay for Johnson. If that happens, a top WR could be the choice.

#20 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Bwood,
I have been following the draft for years, and you seem to be very knowledgeable about it. Not just this, but in related comments. I would like to add to your comment. Gettlemen said, something like, "BPA if all things are equal"

Your next comment shows his philosophy (QB, Big guys, TD makers, pass rushers).

Now throw in our needs that fit that criteria: DT, OL, and WR.

Now, in my opinion, you have to consider the draft. How much depth is there at each position? I call a position like LOT and QB rarities. They are hard to find outside the first half of the first round. They do not make it to free agency.

Can you find a starting WR in free agency or the second round? Yes.
Can you find a starting DT in free agency or the second round? Yes
Can you find a starting OG in free agency or the second round? Yes
Can you find a starting LT in free agency or the second round? No.

I think we will draft a LT, and Lane Johnson is that guy. I fear that the Rams will trade up with Tampa Bay for Johnson. If that happens, a top WR could be the choice.

I agree with the notion that you draft your left tackles in the first round. Of course there exceptions like Roger Saffold, but id rather not take that risk if I'm looking for a legitimate LT.

Eric Fisher has been my guy since we were handed the 14 spot. Unfortunately it looks like the cats out of the bag, and Fisher could even make a push for being the first tackle off the board.

That being said, Lane Johnson would be the next most logical selection if we wanted a LT (keep in mind this all depends on what happens with Gross). Lane is very raw, and new to the position, but he is definitely no slouch. His game will continue to get better, but that's why I'm not so sure about taking him in the first.

I want my first pick to be a sure thing. Lane Johnson is all about potential, and you shouldn't draft that way in the first round.

My top 5 prospects for us right now are;

1. Fisher (OT)
2. Warmack (OG)
3. Patterson (WR)
4. Williams (DT)
5. Banks (CB)

In my opinion, one of these guys will be a Panther, but that all depends on what happens in free agency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com