Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettleman not sold on read option

228 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='teeray' timestamp='1359036416' post='2112782']
Not good. I was afraid of this when we hired a 60 year old "experienced" guy. No vision of the future and stuck in the 90's way of doing things.

If you go away from the read option you are taking away one of our biggest assets and handicapping Cam.
[/quote]

He never mentioned taking it away as a whole, but to not use it as a base offense, a la chud.... Did you watch the first half of this season?

Posted · Report post

If we REALLY want to protect the quarterback, we'll install the single wing offense.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Jase' timestamp='1359036551' post='2112785']
I exaggerate but

The most dangerous hits a QB takes are in the pocket, because he's more likely to not see what's hitting him.
[/quote]

True, but a quarterback is more guaranteed of a taking a hit on a read-option play. Sacks and hits off pressures happen, but you tend to keep your guy clean more often than not. I just have some hesitation about using it all the time after watching a guy like RG3 come in and play some of the most exciting football ever, and leave the field a hobbled mess with a torn everything.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Cam a POCKET PASSER?? I thought I never see the day.

Posted · Report post

Well, I think you have to be smart about it, and I think we have been.

Cam's good about getting down when he knows he's going to take a hit.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Stroupe-a-loop' timestamp='1359036757' post='2112794']

True, but a quarterback is more guaranteed of a taking a hit on a read-option play.
[/quote]

Not really. Cam is awfully good at falling down before the hit.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Jordan Gross said on ESPN 730 Sport Radio recently regarding the Read Option: 'I don't think Quarterbacks can play like that for 10 years. You just get beat up too much'. He added. 'The beauty of Cam is: He's so good in the pocket now, that we don't have to rely on the read option or other offenses like that, but can use it as another wrinkle to mix it up and keep teams honest' That's a paraphrase. However, it sounds like he and Gettleman are on the same page to me. Maybe Cam to? Shrugs.

The Read Option is fine. It's the over use of it that's the problem (especially when The Panthers make it so easy to detect with opposing defenses out of the/their Shotgun).
3 people like this

Posted · Report post

Double

Posted · Report post

Hey Gettleman, 1 of 2 QBs in the Superbowl are run option.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1359037155' post='2112808']
[/quote]

You are missing the point. We used it as our base formation for a lot of games this season. You can't do that. The 49ers do not do that with Kap. They sprinkle it in.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1359037108' post='2112805']

Not really. Cam is awfully good at falling down before the hit.
[/quote]

True, he does that pretty well. Awkwardly, but well.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1359037155' post='2112808']
[/quote]

The 49ers caught teams off guard with KP. I don't think that'll work too good against the Ravens. Next year teams will be more prepared for them just like they were for us, but I doubt the 49ers will use it as frequent as we did. I say let Cam be a pocket passer. Run the ball and some playaction and if Cam gets pressure or sees free yardage let him do what he does. Simple
1 person likes this