Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gettleman not sold on read option

228 posts in this topic

Posted

So, we're gonna turn Cam into Eli while Kaepernick and Wilson pile on superbowls? Damn, what a waste of talent.

1 person likes this

Posted

Someone on here had actually counted the amount of times we used the read option from the first half compared to the second half.

That was me. There were a few significant changes as we went into the 2nd half of the season:

1) Read option runs were way down compared to early in the year (maybe 50% less). Against NO, we ran it a total of 3 times.

2) The use of 2 TE formations increased as we went through the year.

3) We ran more plays from under center the last half of the year.

All that said, I don't want to see it eliminated either, as some of Cam's big gains came off those plays. Hopefully Gettleman just doesn't want us to go overboard.

2 people like this

Posted

Read option with lots of down field routes and no check downs was our downfall early in the year. Chud was slow to adapt. Even with the checkdowns added Cam was slow to use them. Around week 6 they started adding more short crossing patterns and flares. The run game as usual also started out atrocious. Once he started doing that, we started getting 4 and 5 yards on the check downs putting us in 3rd and short situations. Short down situations is where the read option was excelling. Especially with Cam being able to get a first down on 3rd and 1 pretty much automatically.

Posted

10-12 team in playoffs had pocket passers?

Skins, Seahawks and 49ers all run the option in some sort..

if i count correctly thats 3 out of the 4 teams that run zone option made the playoffs

Posted

I don't understand everyone who thinks that there is no grey area between the option being a primary part of your offense and standing in the pocket like Bledsoe.

Noone (not even Gettleman from the sound of the quote in those tweets) should be advocating never using an option run when you have a QB like we have. The operative word there is "staple". It works (and has worked) really well for us when it's a wrinkle and less so when it's just "what we do".

We also don't do that much of the play-action runs where they just fake a hand-off and the QB takes off the other direction. That is markedly different than running an option run because everyone on the offense knows where the ball is going and it's easier for them to block.

Posted

That was me. There were a few significant changes as we went into the 2nd half of the season:

1) Read option runs were way down compared to early in the year (maybe 50% less). Against NO, we ran it a total of 3 times.

2) The use of 2 TE formations increased as we went through the year.

3) We ran more plays from under center the last half of the year.

All that said, I don't want to see it eliminated either, as some of Cam's big gains came off those plays. Hopefully Gettleman just doesn't want us to go overboard.

I don't expect it to be eliminated. That is apart of what makes Cam so dynamic. But thanks for the stats again.

Posted

4 starting QBs run the read option....3 of 4 were in the postseason. He ignored that tidbit.

Posted

Gettleman was interviewed on NFL sirius network this morning. He did say that the read option was a play you would use some of the time but it exposes your quarterback to too much wear and tear. Look at RG3 as a prime example. He said that it was not a scheme or a system. He didn't say they wouldn't use the pistol but he did say that we will run a power running game and that Cam would need to be able to pass from the pocket to make any running game work. And he expressed confidence that he could. He said he was excited to be here and would be working hard to make sure we had the talent to succeed. He said that many times coaches and their families moved around a lot and he wanted to build something where there would be stability and coaches and their families could be here for the long term. He said he has a working knowledge of the cap but wasn't an expert. He was going to farm that out since you can't be an expert on everything.

The discussion from Ross and Bob Papa was that he really seemed like a football guy. He knows what he knows and he knows what he doesn't know. He knows football and the scouting piece. He isn't a bean counter and will leave that to others.

My take is that he will be involved in the football part and how players are being utilized more so than looking at specific Xs and Os. He won't sign a bunch of runners only to have the team ignore them like Hurney and Chud did. He wanted Shula because Shula is the best guy to know what they ran the past 2 years and what Cam can do best. He will take the team back to a more traditional offense while still staying creative. Should be a win-win for everyone.

5 people like this

Posted

The second they start the season 0-4 while the seahawks and 9ers are 4-0 blowing out all their opponents they'll scratch all that off season mumbo jumbo and unleash Cam. GMs do get fired too. After watching Cam manhandled the Falcons this year and you're telling me that offense is gonna be scratched?

That sounds like sabotaging to me. Could it be that there are some people who doesn't want dual threat QBs from taking over the league so they'll sabotage even their own team?

Cam also broke his leg behind that OL against the Saints 'pocket passing'.

Posted

getting rid of it complete is a terrible, terrible idea.

And who said that was gonna happen??

Posted

Go back to that interview that he gave yesterday to the Charlotte CBS station and listen to what Gettleman says about college ball players and how the "hybrid" type players don't work in the NFL. He re-emphasizes that what is important right now is to change what the scouts are looking for.

I expect a lot of changes in the next few weeks.

Some of them may spell a hard slog for Ron in 2013..

Posted

Cam's short yardage work exposes him much more than his read option work....

RGIII is a poor example of why you shouldn't use it, b/c he has always been a magnet for contact (was a Baylor). Plus, he is built like a slim WR.