- - - - -

Gettleman not sold on read option

• Please log in to reply
227 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well you also have to consider the fact that were weren't running it well and at the pace you need for it to be effective.

And I agree that our O-line had problems blocking for it.

And Cam was not as decisive as he needed to be.

The reason the read option struggled earlier in the year isn't because of the read option itself, it was because or our poor execution of it from the coaches, to the o-line, and the QB.

Plus, when we started doing we put the RB next to Cam in shotgun. Later, I guess after watching the redskin, we started putting the RB behind Cam in the pistol.

#62 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,701 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Well you also have to consider the fact that were weren't running it well and at the pace you need for it to be effective.

And I agree that our O-line had problems blocking for it.

And Cam was not as decisive as he needed to be.

The reason the read option struggled earlier in the year isn't because of the read option itself, it was because or our poor execution of it from the coaches, to the o-line, and the QB.

Slightly agree, but not completely.

#63 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

It's actually the opposite. Its the same as in a car-wreck; those who don't see it coming don't tense up as much, and usually suffer less injuries. Blindside hits often look gruesome precisely because the body isn't tensed up and thus gets flung around a bit more, but it absorbs the shock better. Front side hits cause more damage.

You are talking about cars hitting each other not people.

Do you ever watched boxing? Which punch usually delivers a knock out? The one the boxer sees or the one he doesn't see?

#64 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

This. As with anything in football, it is more effective when it can catch an opponent off-guard. The way Chud used it, especially early-on, Cam may as well have audibled out loud, "Hey everybody, read option...did you hear me, I'm going to run the READ OPTION!" :P

Btw, Cam can still run even if we don't feature the read-option constantly. Whenever he sees the D in man, and he doesn't like the look any receiver is showing him, he is still free to take off and burn the D. He doesn't become less dangerous imo.

That's how Vick got killed. Nobody's blocking for him so the whole defense crash down on him. But when it's a planned run everybody have a blocking assignment.

#65 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,486 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

If we try to make Cam a traditional drop back passer, you are going to sabotage his career. What keeps Cam from being average, is his running ability. That part of his game is what makes him dangerous and impossible to defend.

What worries me about older guys like Gettleman, is that they are always the last ones on the curve so to speak.

They have this attitude that "This will never work, we have always done it this way and we will always do it this way". As if the NFL has become static and is never evolving.

I hope that Gettleman is a guy that understands that college and high school football has evolved, and in the NFL if you are not evolving to deal with it you are devolving just to spite it.

#66 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

That's how Vick got killed. Nobody's blocking for him so the whole defense crash down on him. But when it's a planned run everybody have a blocking assignment.

But Cam has great vision, great jukes, is much bigger and knows when to slide or run out of bounds.

I like him running out of the pocket (with space), than the consistent hard hitting short yardage runs for first downs or TD's. That's what they need to lessen, be careful of or stop (especially with Tolbert there).

#67 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

The second they start the season 0-4 while the seahawks and 9ers are 4-0 blowing out all their opponents they'll scratch all that off season mumbo jumbo and unleash Cam. GMs do get fired too.

Ya think that assessment will change if Flacco wins the Superbowl and Kaep gets hit so hard that his spine flies out of his ass-pipe?

#68 OHK

OHK

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

You are talking about cars hitting each other not people.

Do you ever watched boxing? Which punch usually delivers a knock out? The one the boxer sees or the one he doesn't see?

No, I'm talking about people, people who have played quarterback at a high level;

"Actually, a lot of blindside hits look really bad when you see them," he says, "but when you take them, they're not as painful."

Really?

"Really. They come as a surprise, and before you know it, you're just looking up from the ground and wondering what happened. Sometimes [you feel] more shock than actual hurt."

I'm not sure I believe this. This past December, a blindside hit knocked ironman quarterback Brett Favre out of a game against the Dallas Cowboys and nearly halted his record consecutive games started streak. Outside the Redskins' locker room, I find starting quarterback Jason Campbell. He concurs with Brennan. In fact, both men insist the element of surprise makes blindside hits less punishing than other tackles – because, as Campbell puts it, "Your muscles are relaxed, and you go with it."

http://sports.espn.g...ge=hruby/080924

#69 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

Yes several teams made the playoffs using it, but that doesn't that the option played a significant part.

I think it's safe to say that with the overall talent in Seattle and San Fran , that they would've made the postseason regardless.
Washington had less but Griffen showed to be a pretty talented passer and they had a great running game with just Morris.

#70 Gucci Mane

Gucci Mane

Trap God

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationKitchen

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

But Cam has great vision, great jukes, is much bigger and knows when to slide or run out of bounds.

His jukes are quite lanky, and he doesn't slide he kind of bumbles over... but yes he does get it done.

#71 mwright350

mwright350

Thy Jimmies shall be Rustled

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts
  • LocationChina Grove, NC

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

Ya think that assessment will change if Flacco wins the Superbowl and Kaep gets hit so hard that his spine flies out of his ass-pipe?

There are people who are going to want to see the read-option as our primary running play no matter what. Those people think Cam is invincible, think Cam will never get hit hard enough to get hurt doing so, and don't understand the difference between an OL blocking when they don't know where the ball is going vs when they do. Their opinion isn't going to change if Kaep gets obliterated - they'll just respond with "but Cam FREAKIN Newton BRAH" and repeat the same arguments for not cutting down on the amount of the option we use (particularly the first part of the season).

Unfortunately I'm also slowly deciding that they can't be reasoned with. Probably for the best where my own sanity is concerned.

Sad freakin' Panda

#72 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

What?

What?

The theory that 'hybrid' QBs can't succeed so they must turn them into pocket passers only is alarming to me when there is one in the superbowl. Mind you there are only 4 in the whole league. That's extremely successful. Now we have a GM telling THE Cam Newton that his talent is not valuable here in the NFL so we gonna get you kill like reid got Vick killed behind a bad OL is alarming. So they can turn around and say 'running QBs can't make it in the leauge'. So they can contitinue and draft their Clausons, Grossmans, Daltons, Lucks, etc. and do away with the Wilsons, Kaepernicks, Cams, Vicks, RG3s, etc. Just systematic bull crap.

#73 BelgianPantherFan

BelgianPantherFan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Turn into pocket passers, lol. I think he's just trying to tell that the read option shouldn't be used too much... just what we were raging about Chud was doing early in the season.

#74 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

did he say that he wanted it to stop or keep cam from running? nope.

sounds like he's just an advocate of a more balanced offense and he wants his QB around longer. the offense with cam can be just as or more effective by not limiting it to just one small group of running plays.

Reid had the same great idea for Vick too. How come Caroll and Harbaugh don't have those great plans for their QB but rather do wha't best to WIN. That offense should be runned around the strength of Cam. No such thing as balance. Tell that to the Patriots and Packers. My bad, I forgot this was about the Panthers. Cam would look great in Chip Kelly's offense in philadelphia. 2 more years Cam.

#75 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 23,641 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Yes several teams made the playoffs using it, but that doesn't that the option played a significant part.

I think it's safe to say that with the overall talent in Seattle and San Fran , that they would've made the postseason regardless.
Washington had less but Griffen showed to be a pretty talented passer and they had a great running game with just Morris.

read option set up to throws for Griffen....despite his comp % he has not wow'd as a passer. He throws screens and the same route to the TE over the middle all game every game. Read option sets up his predictable passing game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.