227 replies to this topic

#106 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I didn't realize you defined random quotes as quotes directly pertinent to my point. And actually, I don't think I was talking about Cam Newton(you'll see neither direct or indirect reference to him in my post), rather I was addressing the general misconception of why blindside hits are bad(they're bad because they offer the QB no chance to escape them, not because they are more likely to injure him).

Regardless, all that that quote is indicating is that Cam Newton prefers to try and use his athleticism to either soften the blow, or escape it all together. I don't think you'll find many guys who will say they would rather not see the tackler rather than seeing the tackler and trying to make a move to avoid it or lessen it; that does not however mean that a blindside tackler is more likely to injure the passer, because quite frankly, he's not.

I called random quotes, random quotes. Quotes can be random and still pertinent. You found a couple of QBs discussing being blindsided and somehow used that as evidence that being blindsided means you are less likely to get hurt. You found quotes from Colt Brennan and Jason Campbell it doesn't get anymore random than that.

You may not have referenced Cam Newton directly in your posts, but this is the Panthers board and literally the entire conversation in this thread has centered around our offense and our QB.

And for everyone that brings up RG3 and his injury. You are right! He won't last in this league as long as he keeps jumping up in the air and swinging his legs over the top of his body like a fugging idiot.

And his final injury in the playoffs that finally tore those ligaments, happened in the pocket.

#107 teeray

teeray

THE SWAGNIFICENT

• HUDDLER
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

Thank you! Might I add, Cam is not a gifted passer. Cam is not gonna dissect an offense by taking what the defense give him. He is a call-a-play-make-a-play in the passing game guy. Now you take away his design runs. Come on, now! Even Cam said it himself that if he were a great passer like Brees he'd stay in the pocket and throw darts all day. Although I am paraphrasing. That is NOT good, I tell ya.

Thanks for agreeing with me but I never said he wasn't a gifted passer. Saying Cam isn't a gifted passer is like saying Carmen Electra isn't hot. You may not be your favorite, or the hottest person in hollywood, but she is still pretty fugging hot.

#108 GoCarolina8990

GoCarolina8990

All Day

• HUDDLER
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

No one is 100% sold on the read option. Carolina was the one who started all of this, and Carolina is going to be the team Read Option works for the longest period of time because Cam is the best read option QB in the league. We will use it sparingly like towards the end of this past season.

Gettleman will see 700 yards rushing Cams rookie year, then 700+ the year after that. All without taking really any big hits. I dont want to see what we seen to start last season but we do need to keep it in our playbook, obviously. For those of you who think this means he is going to completely do away with it.

I know one thing, as long as CAM is the QB read option will be effective.

#109 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

So, are we including Jake Locker in your "hybrid QBs" here? Considering you haven't brought up his name one time, and you said there were only 4 in the league... Or are you simply referring to CERTAIN hybrid QBs? If you are going to pull the race card, don't hide behind some bullshit like "hybrid QBs."

And if you really believe teams would be willing to sign a player to $100m contract just so they can sabotage him behind a bad OL to prove that black QBs can't succeed, then we may have just found the only poster who could make King Tarq sound reasonable in a race discussion.

Well, if Manziel were in the league I would have included him in the hybrid QB conversation. Locker doesn't fit the bill. There is nothing dynamic about Locker. Sorry!

Cam is NOT signed for $100m. I'm sure if that pocket passing 'experiment' doesn't work a lot of people would say dynamic QBs can't make it in the league like they've always said before. I didn't make that statement up.

#110 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

this guy isn't a troll.. he's just not old enough to buy a pack of smokes, much less post on this forum...

Maybe you're too old to be smoking.

#111 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Why are you posting here if you hate the panthers?

*cuz your trollin*

Caaaammmmmm

#112 beastson

beastson

Cam

• HUDDLER
  • 8,669 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

TRD?

#113 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

This is what sold it for me. He's seriously arguing that Cam is going to be more upset about the fact that they are losing because he's not getting the chance to do his signature celebrations while doing so?

Cam takes losing better when he's allowed to do the superman??

Are you fuging kidding me?

Cam hates losing just like Lebron. If you try to tie up their talent while the team is losing they will not like it. And we both know what happened with Lebron. Losing is one thing but losing while not giving all you can can't bode well for a player like Cam. A pure pocket passer would accept losing because the only way they can win is by throwing. But taking away a great player's dimension is unacceptable.

#114 X-Clown

X-Clown

Positive Polly

• HUDDLER
  • 5,097 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

The first half of the season was very similar to the second half of the season in terms of utilizing the read option. We just tightened the formations. I'm willing to bet Cam had more rushing yards the last half of the season than he did the first half of the season

347 in the 1st half, 394 in the 2nd. He had more attempts in the 2nd half (68 vs. 59) and the YPC was pretty close (5.8 for 1st half, 5.7 for 2nd half).

#115 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,054 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

TRD?

TRD is the opposite, he hated cam , this guy is just a camwagoner, both just as annoying though

#116 MaineManPanther

MaineManPanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

read option set up to throws for Griffen....despite his comp % he has not wow'd as a passer. He throws screens and the same route to the TE over the middle all game every game. Read option sets up his predictable passing game.

Not arguing that it hasn't been big for them. But I've seen enough of Griffen outside the option to see that he has more then enough arm and accuracy to get by on his passing. Coupled with a strong running unit and defense.
But there is a legit enough point seeing as they barley made it to the postseason

Though one team out of four doesn't really prove any significant point

#117 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Cam hates losing just like Lebron. If you try to tie up their talent while the team is losing they will not like it. And we both know what happened with Lebron. Losing is one thing but losing while not giving all you can can't bode well for a player like Cam. A pure pocket passer would accept losing because the only way they can win is by throwing. But taking away a great player's dimension is unacceptable.

Yeah, except none of that is going to happen.

#118 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

:blink:

I'm not saying that he shouldn't use his legs as a weapon. But sooner than later, other teams will catch on and shut it down. You'll see that happen to RGII (if he is healthy), Wilson, Kaep, etc next year.

He's going into his 3rd year as a NFL QB. He'll improve as a passer.

When that sooner or later come we can adapt too. If the 9ers were waiting for that sooner or later they wouldn't be in the superbowl. What if that sooner or later never come while Wilson & Kaep are raking in superbowls?

#119 FootballMaestro

FootballMaestro

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

When that sooner or later come we can adapt too. If the 9ers were waiting for that sooner or later they wouldn't be in the superbowl. What if that sooner or later never come while Wilson & Kaep are raking in superbowls?

You keep forgetting, the 49ers made the Conference finals last year with Alex Fuggin Smith!! Let that linger!

Yes, Kaepernick is good/more dangerous. But San Francisco is a talented, well coached and excellent team. That's why they're there (in the SuperBaugh) first and foremost.

And no one here is suggesting, eliminating the READ OPTION or shutting down Cam Breaking Containment runs, down field. Gettleman sure didn't.

All we're saying is: Cam is competent enough (and the record shows this), to operate out the pocket and use the threat of the Read Option, along with the Read Option itself as an added weapon and not a staple. Obviously, the opposing defenses the Panthers face in each game will/should determine the level of this? Nuff said!

#120 Guest_BlueBoy_*

Guest_BlueBoy_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Kaepernick ran the read option all game against Atl.

Never ran while using it once

And the threat of it killed Atl. Now we have to scratch that from our offense because a guy who was involved in 2 of the luckiest superbowl ever have a better idea. Oh, well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.