Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Saints fire Steve Spagnuolo as they move to a 3-4

46 posts in this topic

Posted

He and Rivera coached defense togother in Philly (Rivera coached linebackers, Spagnuolo defensive backs).

And DP is right. He has coached LBs before. In fact, he's coached all three phases of defense. Did pretty well as DC in New York where he also would have worked with Dave Gettleman.

I'd bring him aboard. He probably needs to take a step down the ladder (DC to position coach) to rehab his image anyway.

Posted

He and Rivera coached defense togother in Philly (Rivera coached linebackers, Spagnuolo defensive backs).

And DP is right. He has coached LBs before. In fact, he's coached all three phases of defense. Did pretty well as DC in New York where he also would have worked with Dave Gettleman.

I'd bring him aboard. He probably needs to take a step down the ladder (DC to position coach) to rehab his image anyway.

That would give us a wickedly strong defensive coaching staff, with Rivera, McDermott, Wilkes, Spagnuolo, Washington, et al.

I'd love it.

Posted

So who's making the decision to move to a 3-4? Shouldn't that be the D-Coordinator's decision based on the personnel you have? Payton don't know poo about defense.

chud's changing the browns D on them.

i guess it happens.

Posted

That's pretty much 100% verification Vilma is cut, too. He got dumped from the Jets because he couldn't fit in the 3-4 Mangini switched to.

ageed. he sucked in a 3-4 and he wanted out as badly as they wanted him out.

he's older now so he's going to suck more.

as long as they don't do that bounty poo, i'm cool with whatever they do.

i'm sure with that tons of cap space they have after the brees extension and the one that graham is going to get, they'll have lots of room to add talent.

yep.....

tons of room.

lots of it.

yep.

Posted

oh...and hire spags as LB coach, please.

Posted

That D was horrible last season.

Posted

They let go of former Panthers LB Coach Ken Flajole too (he was coaching DBs).

Posted

So with the Saints picking right behind us, what is their biggest need on the new D?

Posted

So with the Saints picking right behind us, what is their biggest need on the new D?

All of it? They don't have anything close to a 3-4 NT, pass rushing OLB. Cam Jordan should transition well to DE (lotta people were saying that's what he'd be before that draft) but they don't have another DE to my knowledge. As far a I know all these guys would be in play for their pick: Hankins, Jenkins, either of the LSU pass rushers, dion Jordan, Sheldon richardson

Posted

They let go of former Panthers LB Coach Ken Flajole too (he was coaching DBs).

Read some speculation (keyword) that Chip Kelly could be interested. But it seems like 2 DC jobs in 2 years would warrant some pause. Super Bowl or not. I guess we'll all find out in the next few weeks.

Posted

Ohhhh 3-4

We love vs a 3-4

Our coach knows all about it

Posted

All of it? They don't have anything close to a 3-4 NT, pass rushing OLB. Cam Jordan should transition well to DE (lotta people were saying that's what he'd be before that draft) but they don't have another DE to my knowledge. As far a I know all these guys would be in play for their pick: Hankins, Jenkins, either of the LSU pass rushers, dion Jordan, Sheldon richardson

They have Martez Wilson who is the prototypical 3-4 pass-rushing OLB. And Will Smith seems like he could transition into a 3-4 DE. Not sure about the other pieces...I know they drafted Akiem Hicks last season, maybe he could play nose?