Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Barnwell: Worst Coaching decision of the year goes to.....

78 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Don't forget, ol' Ronnie prefers to get beat systematically, as we learned from the Bears game.

Posted · Report post

I'm not even sure that's the worst call of the year. i think the call to punt the ball in the 4QTR against Kansas City was worse.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1359136570' post='2114386']
those moments are coming fewer and further between just because of how the rules make it easy for offenses to charge downfield quickly through the air.

like someone above said, it was a text book situation, but he emphasis is on [u][i]was[/i][/u]. you can't do that confidently anymore. you can't put your defenses in those situations because the cards are stacked against you thanks to rule changes protecting the QB and the WR, esp. after 5 yards. the game is set up now for those situations.

rivera played it by the book, but he was using an old book that is being rewritten. defensive and conservative minded coaches are behind in this and it's costing them games.
[/quote]

I agree. But with 60 seconds to play and no timeouts I think you take the chance of punting there.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='KendrickPanther' timestamp='1359137409' post='2114408']
Yeah it wasn't a great decision but what the fug qualifies Bill Barnwell to question NFL head coaches?
[/quote]
The fact that he has a blog that people actually read.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panfan32' timestamp='1359139897' post='2114457']
I'm not even sure that's the worst call of the year. i think the call to punt the ball in the 4QTR against Kansas City was worse.
[/quote]

Oh, you mean the day the Panther defense couldn't stop Brady Fuggin Quinn, who was one of the worst QB's all season, both before and after he played the Panthers. Yeah, I remember, Rivera punted on 4th down with only 4 min left, expecting to stop a team he hadn't stopped all game. Yeah, that sounds like a bright idea? :thumbsd:

Mean while the Panthers offense was moving the ball all day. The only problem was: They just didn't have enough touches/possessions to obtain the lead. However, Rivera decided to punt it away late in the 4th, giving up possession. And of course, the Panthers never got the ball back and lost to the worst team/worse rated starting QB in the NFL.

Yeah, we remember that day.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Happy Panther' timestamp='1359140125' post='2114464']
I agree. But with 60 seconds to play and no timeouts I think you take the chance of punting there.
[/quote]we;ve seen waaayyyy too many times how very little time it takes for offenses to get the ball down the field and 60 seconds is too much.

teams have done that several times, including in the playoffs, only to lose or go to overtime.

it's just not nearly the safe play it used to be. i don't even like calling it conservative. it's just too risky and too easy to fail. you do whatever it takes to keep the ball in your hand and you do not trust your D to stop the other team from losing the lead.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1359137034' post='2114399']
maybe 5-10 years ago, but the way the game is evolving it puts you in dangerous territory.

you do not give the other team the ball, regardless of how good you think your defense is. period.

you can not trust your defense to stop a team, esp. that good of an offense, when the league is stacked against your defense. it just doesn't make sense to keep doing that kind of thing anymore.
[/quote]

The two teams playing in the Super Bowl this year constantly rely on their defense. Keep in mind that what Atlanta did to us was the first time that had happened in 20 years.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FootballMaestro' timestamp='1359140249' post='2114468']
Oh, you mean the day the Panther defense couldn't stop Brady Fuggin Quinn, who was one of the worst QB's all season, both before and after he played the Panthers. Yeah, I remember, Rivera punted on 4th down with only 4 min left, expecting to stop a team he hadn't stopped all game.

Mean while the Panthers offense was moving the ball all day. The only problem was: They just didn't have enough touches/possessions to obtain the lead. However, Rivera decided to punt it away late in the 4th, giving up possession. And of course, the Panthers never got the ball back and lost to the worst team/worse rated starting QB in the NFL.

[/quote]

Exactly. I can understand the punt against the Falcons. We were leading and our front 4 were killing Ryan all game.

But taking the ball away from your offense when your loosing and have 4 minutes left was one of the worst calls he has made if not the worst in 2 seasons. Taking any kind of chance to win away.
END Result a 27-21 loss to the DEAD ASS LAST CHIEFS.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='FootballMaestro' timestamp='1359140249' post='2114468']
Oh, you mean the day the Panther defense couldn't stop Brady Fuggin Quinn, who was one of the worst QB's all season, both before and after he played the Panthers. Yeah, I remember, Rivera punted on 4th down with only 4 min left, expecting to stop a team he hadn't stopped all game.

[/quote]there are other examples...quite a bit on the season if you look at the lead on the whole, even in the playoffs.

if your defense hasn't been successful against the other team's offense during the bulk of the game, but your offense has been faring pretty well against their defense, i'm sorry but you go with the one that's working, not the one that hasn't been.

you go with what has been working, not what "should" work or what some obsolete textbook says.

Posted · Report post

In hindsight it absolutely was a terrible call given what happened with Nakamura. The question is not whether it turned out to be a bad call looking at it after the fact, but was it a bad call at the time. I was personally in the group that would have gone for it on the road but honestly given he called a punt and the Panthers downed it at the 1, it wasn't a bad idea. If we had played aggressively like we did all day instead of going to the prevent we would have won that game and others as well. It wasn't a play here or there so much as going to the prevent which we all know just prevents you from winning.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1359136570' post='2114386']
like someone above said, it was a text book situation, but he emphasis is on [u][i]was[/i][/u]. you can't do that confidently anymore. you can't put your defenses in those situations because the cards are stacked against you thanks to rule changes protecting the QB and the WR, esp. after 5 yards. the game is set up now for those situations.
[/quote]
Very good point.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rayzor' timestamp='1359141080' post='2114483']
there are other examples...quite a bit on the season if you look at the lead on the whole, even in the playoffs.

if your defense hasn't been successful against the other team's offense during the bulk of the game, but your offense has been faring pretty well against their defense, i'm sorry but you go with the one that's working, not the one that hasn't been.

you go with what has been working, not what "should" work or what some obsolete textbook says.
[/quote]

Yeah, tell John Fox and the Bronco's their late 4 qtr lead was big enough against the Ravens.

And in the same token, tell Atlanta, that their big lead against the 49ers were big enough as well.

You can't stop scoring (or trying to score) in this league, until its' 2min left in the 4th qtr and you have the ball--with a first down. If not, you keep trying to score. And if the other team keeps their starters in the game--trying to score points during a blow out, then you do the same. Don't stop scoring, until the other team pulls out their starters and cries uncle.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if Rivera will ever learn his lesson. He appears, anytime he has more than a 14 pt lead (even if it's in the early 2nd or third qtr), he wants to run the clock out for the rest of the game. It's only when teams catch up and get close, when he wants to run a regular offense again. Even the Oakland game, the Panthers should have won by a much bigger margin. And Cam Newton could have thrown for over 300 or 400 yards. I think he had 230 (or so) by the half.

Rivera had done this through out the season, even in games the Panthers have won, he alway slows down the offense when he has a lead (even if some of us don't always realize it when the Panthers win by a reasonable margin). You never stop trying to score, unless/until the 2 earlier examples/reasons I gave (2min left in the 4th with a 1st down or other team takes out starters).