Photo
- - - - -

panthers were offering coaching candidates 1 year deals...

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,635 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

just going to throw this out there, and yes, it is according to "league sources" but it's probably right anyway.

The Panthers have interviewed some guys you may have heard of, but that they’re mostly hiring their own speaks in part to what they’re offering.

Part of the Panthers problem is that they aren’t able to offer as much security as other teams, in the literal or figurative sense.

They interviewed Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur for the coordinator job before keeping it in-house with Shula (in the name of continuity), and brought in veteran special teams coaches Dave Toub and Bobby April for interviews, but both took jobs elsewhere.

Part of the reason, according to multiple league sources, is that the Panthers offered at least some of their candidates one-year deals.

With head coach Ron Rivera entering a make-or-break season with a 13-19 record, the entire staff’s on a one-year deal from a practical standpoint. But coaches also like to get paid, so the lack of multi-year security in terms of contract hasn’t helped them attract top talent.

In the case of special teams in particular (where they’ve ranked last in the league three of the last four years), their inability or unwillingness to make longer-term offers might have cost them a chance at an established coach such as Toub (who went to Kansas City) or April (Oakland), and left them promoting Rivera’s old Cal teammate Richard Rodgers, who filled the job on an interim basis last season after Brian Murphy was fired.

While it might not inspire much confidence, it does indicate that they’re letting Rivera do his thing this year, with the obvious implication that they don’t want to be tied to excess contractual obligations if it doesn’t work.

http://profootballta...rce=twitterfeed

fwiw, i think that dorsey and skipper were decent hires.

#2 CPF4LIFE

CPF4LIFE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

lol

#3 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Seems to be in line with JRs philosophy

Posted Image

I'm a shrewd businessman damnit!

#4 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,231 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Honestly though it does make some sense. If we clean house we need to give Gettleman free rein to get a complete coaching staff in.

#5 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

It is what it is. While Rivera showed enough promise to be retained for a 3rd season, no one said it was enough to guarantee him more than that. For better or worse, this is the staff we will ride with this season.

#6 dpanther69

dpanther69

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

This shouldn't surprise anyone; we all know that RR is basically in a lame duck situation.

#7 hepcat

hepcat

Skandalouz

• HUDDLER
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm not surprised by that...everyone knows Rivera is in a make or break year. The fact that no one wanted to come and rot in Carolina for one year is pretty self-explanatory. Hell we could see some of the same names surface next year when (but hopefully if) the entire coaching staff gets replaced.

#8 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,856 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

This organization is pathetic.

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 AM

Its was never about money people

#10 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,635 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

This shouldn't surprise anyone; we all know that RR is basically in a lame duck situation.

i don't think it's a lame duck situation because there is a chance that he can keep his job by pulling off a good year so i think the effort is going to be there for him, his staff, and the players (who actually want him there). people in lame duck situations have no chance of coming back and give up. that won't be the panthers next year.

unfortunately effort and desire doesn't always equal production or goal reaching. sometimes you're just incompetant or too slow of a learner.

#11 UNCrules2187

UNCrules2187

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

i don't think it's a lame duck situation because there is a chance that he can keep his job by pulling off a good year so i think the effort is going to be there for him, his staff, and the players (who actually want him there). people in lame duck situations have no chance of coming back and give up. that won't be the panthers next year.

unfortunately effort and desire doesn't always equal production or goal reaching. sometimes you're just incompetant or too slow of a learner.

We'll find out if Rivera can put it all together this season. For our sake, I truly hope he does.

#12 Doc Holiday

Doc Holiday

NON FACETE NOBIS CALCITRARE VESTRVM PERINAEVM

• HUDDLER
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:40 AM

Called it

#13 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

they probably expect chud to get fired after 5 games and be back in time for 2015 season!

#14 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 19,756 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

lol we suck

#15 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

This organization is pathetic.

We need a rebrand to erase this losing culture. Hornets is available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com