Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

panthers were offering coaching candidates 1 year deals...

81 posts in this topic

Posted

This shouldn't surprise anyone; we all know that RR is basically in a lame duck situation.

Nah. If we make the playoffs Rivera will be retained, and with good reason. Our 2010 team was the worst of teams that been given the number 1 pick recently. This year's KC and last year's Colts would have had a field day with our 2010 team. If in year 3 he makes the playoffs then he's done everything expected of him and more. 3 years is the standard of expectations with coaches and QBs, and is a much faster rebuilding process than most teams deal with (see Oakland, St Louis, Arizona, etc). He'd have shown progression every year and built a playoff team.

Posted

This is precisely why these ultimatum years are a bad idea. Nobody thinks you have a chance, except for the existing staff that has their own asses in the sling. So, we end up get what's left after Chud picked over this staff and we are supposed to make the playoffs with whats left. Perhaps 9-7 isn't too far fetched, not that it will be enough to save his job.

Well if the players busted their tails at the end of last year to keep Rivera, they'll do it again all next year and make up for the lack of exceptional positional coaches. We were a young team learning, but in year 3 these guys know what it takes to win and don't need their hands held to do it.

Posted

I don't see why it makes JR cheap for not throwing out 3 year deals to people that may not be here after one year.

1 person likes this

Posted

We need a rebrand to erase this losing culture. Hornets is available.

Nah. I like the Panthers. We just need a new owner who can put the right people in place.

1 person likes this

Posted

I don't think JR is a cheap owner, he is just cheap...at first but his spending isn't an issue to me. I also think keeping Rivera was the wrong move for this very reason. Gettleman wants his own coaching staff. But the simple reason I can't stand JR is he fails to put the right poeple in place and is now failing at letting Gettleman do his job properly. JR is a meddling owner, maybe not as outright as some but I find it extremeley hard to believe Gettleman wants Rivera and co. as his coaching staff. Why give them another year? Too see if he can do it? To keep stability, stability in what exactly? How is offering one year contracts to work with Rivera and hiring within out of no choice a sign of stability? I understand the one year contracts totally, it would be stupid to give a coach a longer contract when this is a make or break year for Rivera and the FO not having any faith in him. My thing is I think I have seen all I need to of Rivera, and I feel the norm of this FO holding on too long will once again take place. JR is failing at putting this team in a position to win.

Posted

This organization is pathetic.

Yup

2 people like this

Posted

JR's decision to keep Rivera hampered our chances of getting a good OC. That's the whole point and yes I agree that this organization is pathetic. Keeping Rivera only made our situation worse.

Posted

I don't see why it makes JR cheap for not throwing out 3 year deals to people that may not be here after one year.

JR, once again, is hedging his bets rather than going all in to win.

Wonder why we keep getting coaches that punt with two minutes left to go down by 6? Cause that's what their owner wants.

Posted

Maybe we'll finally have a playoff caliber team by the time Cam's 35

Posted

It doesn't. Given the situation, it's not that shocking.

Worth remembering that both Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur were willing to take those offers.

Toub? Don't think we had a realistic shot at him. Reid was a bigger draw.

The only guy I wonder about really being bothered by it is Bobby April.

Posted

lol welcome to another throw away season panther fans.

next year we'll hear the rebuilding excuse, followed by the "rome wasnt built in a day" excuse.

this organization is laughable. Rivera should have been fired or committed to. not some ridiculous half attempt to do something.

1 person likes this

Posted

I love how well Richardson strategically purchases excuses. Heck, the man is even wise enough for invest in excuses for future seasons. Imagine if he put that same effort into building a winning program.