Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panthers Hire Al Holcomb as LB Coach

49 posts in this topic

Posted

The short story is that he has never been a position coach.

He spent 4 years as the Defensive QC Coach.

Breaking down film and running the practice squad.

He's got a 10 y/o son that thinks that you should play cover 2 against the Falcons.

he's been a position coach and DC at lower levels. Maybe you needed the longer story.

I get that it's not a sexy name, but like was already said earlier - guys that work their butts off to get ahead, not the worst thing in the world. I'm sure being a third tier assistant for the Giants isn't the sexiest thing in the world, but consider that the same tier of coach from Carolina received four promotions (two here, two with the Browns).

Posted

Is the only remaining position left to fill the OQC?

there were two assistants there, so hopefully they fill both. There's also Babich's job, and ST assistant, hopefully.

Posted

I still dont know why we fired out LB coach

Posted

Fug you, Chud! How dare you snag another one of our... oh wait... whoops.

Posted

I still dont know why we fired out LB coach

Because somebody had to be fired (shrugs)... Wonder if we interviewed Sammy Mills III for the LB job he's the DLine assistant coach

Posted

this is a great hire

especially when around this time next year, when rivera's fired and gettleman's filling the coaching staff, he'll already have a linebackers coach to start off

Posted

Never heard of him but good hire I suppose.

Posted

he's been a position coach and DC at lower levels. Maybe you needed the longer story.

I get that it's not a sexy name, but like was already said earlier - guys that work their butts off to get ahead, not the worst thing in the world. I'm sure being a third tier assistant for the Giants isn't the sexiest thing in the world, but consider that the same tier of coach from Carolina received four promotions (two here, two with the Browns).

See Post #15

Go Leopards!

Posted

How come no one is mentioning this in regards to a minority coaching hire?

This guy just got a helluva promotion!

1 person likes this

Posted

See Post #15

Go Leopards!

missed that one, sorry.

Posted

How come no one is mentioning this in regards to a minority coaching hire?

This guy just got a helluva promotion!

Yeah he sure did. Good for him, now let's hope he can coach.

Posted

Not sure why people 'feel better' thinking Gettleman had a hand in this. While he appears to be qualified to evaluate player talent, not sure about coaches. I trust Ron more when it comes to coaching defense. I hope this wasn't just doing a favor for a friend. There were some very qualified candidates available but I guess if you're only offering 1 year deals.....