80 replies to this topic

#31 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,138 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

hence me saying bigger fish to fry. are there not much more important issues facing the US right now than some chuckleheads on fb? srlsy?

the OP was a screen cap of a heavily-viewed piece of social media that very clearly reflects the sentiments - overt or passive (the latter being the most insidious, i'd argue) - of a segment of the population who can elect officials that reflect their paradigms. this alone makes it worth discussing. ignoring it would be foolish.

the real question that needs to be discussed is whether or not this line of thinking reflects a high enough percentage of voting americans to suggest that they're in any way indicative of conservative ideology and voter blocs (the southern strategy has led to the republican party inheriting these people, so i'd say there's a strong correlation.)

oh what a surprise the same person who thinks that there is some sort of virtue in finding "common ground" between republicans and democratics also thinks he's smart. i've never heard that one before

not sure i agree with you here (unless i'm misreading your intent.) ideological ties - liberal versus conservative - are reflected in the political arena by democrats and republicans, and while there's an obvious correlation there's also a differentiation in how they react in their structural context. ideology as an entity is more susceptible to pitting groups against one another without leeway whereas the political embodiment of those ideologies is designed to be a symbiosis (though often it is not) wherein finding middle ground is imperative.

in other words there is not necessarily a virtue in liberals finding middle ground with conservatives, but there is a clear neccesity for democrats finding middle ground with republicans.

#32 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,557 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

philly what you described so well is buzzy corporate word called silos. middle managers and up love to throw the word silos around like candy and say well this group doesn't work well with that group and we need to get out of our silos blather blather.

so me, since I only have a southern education, i remember something i learned in school where they said the shortest distance between two points is straight.

i would frustrate various leaders because i would just cut to the chase and go who leads group A? ok, so like who leads group B? ok, when was the last time they were either in the same room together or on a conference call? umm...crickets.

that's what we get here or with congress or a whole myriad of issues. we go around the universe on what we think is wrong and what should be done instead of just going to the source.

i hear more and more on cable news where they say congress and really most everyone in the beltway doesn't know how to reach across the aisle(and i really hate that phrase) or whatever. when so many of our biggest issues going on today could truly be remedied by simply having that face to face talk.

maybe im too much of an idealist when it comes to this.

#33 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

• HUDDLER
  • 8,134 posts
  • Locationfresh out the grave

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

on track: so what do y'all think ghetto means?

I was told the southern strategy was a myth as well as subtle racism so can someone explain the term in this context?

#34 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,557 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

we know what ghetto means.

and you are right. those folks that posted on fb have youtube up this very moment going back over the southern strategy to make sure they are doing it just like they did back in the day.

keep in mind the southern strat was a counter to the dem stronghold in the south that im pretty sure was all jim crowish and racist.

#35 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 12:56 AM

on track: so what do y'all think ghetto means?

i'm sure those fine gentlemen were simply referring to the urban settlement patterns of those individuals exhibiting cultural traits of low economic status. nothing to see there.

#36 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,138 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

of course today's republican party more clearly reflects the religious fundamentalism that embodies the south than the overt racism (the latter being disguised in "common sense" terminology to better justify it)

#37 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,688 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

they turned out to be a fine bunch, that kennedy family. the key word there is "TOP"
Posted Image
*Not Pictured: A bunch of lowlife thug teenage girls, presumably using their smartphones

#38 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

__YOU CAN'T FIRE ME!__

• HUDDLER
  • 17,962 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

sickening.

So who put together this post anyway.

Posted Image
Notice the times aren't sequential? :thumbsu:

#39 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,688 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:18 AM

seriously could they have used a more ironic example than the Kennedy family to try to spur up another viral nostalgic facebook "back-in-the-day-customs" vs obama hate pic?

#40 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

So who put together this post anyway.

Posted Image
Notice the times aren't sequential? :thumbsu:

Well yeah, The point of showing the posts is to point out a few of the more idiotic that commented on the pic. Do you find that the fact the times aren't sequential is somehow deceptive? If that is the case how do you feel about the pic?

Jr. saluting his father's coffin as it goes by draped with the American flag, Sasha & Malia taking a silly pic at some point during the inaugural parade.

#41 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:39 AM

the OP was a screen cap of a heavily-viewed piece of social media that very clearly reflects the sentiments - overt or passive (the latter being the most insidious, i'd argue) - of a segment of the population who can elect officials that reflect their paradigms. this alone makes it worth discussing. ignoring it would be foolish.

the real question that needs to be discussed is whether or not this line of thinking reflects a high enough percentage of voting americans to suggest that they're in any way indicative of conservative ideology and voter blocs (the southern strategy has led to the republican party inheriting these people, so i'd say there's a strong correlation.)

not sure i agree with you here (unless i'm misreading your intent.) ideological ties - liberal versus conservative - are reflected in the political arena by democrats and republicans, and while there's an obvious correlation there's also a differentiation in how they react in their structural context. ideology as an entity is more susceptible to pitting groups against one another without leeway whereas the political embodiment of those ideologies is designed to be a symbiosis (though often it is not) wherein finding middle ground is imperative.

in other words there is not necessarily a virtue in liberals finding middle ground with conservatives, but there is a clear neccesity for democrats finding middle ground with republicans.

i don't recall who originally said this but it still seems to ring true: some of the worst policy in america is preceded by the words "in a bipartisan agreement"

anyway my intent here is to say that "liberal" vs. "conservative" vs. "the middle of the two" leaves out a fugton of options. for example, both president obama and the republicans have campaigned on austerity, and much of the debate centers on just how much; meanwhile, leftists who believe that the country would see far greater benefit from actually increasing spending in a stagnant economy, raising tax rates, and perhaps even significantly cutting the budget of a military that costs about as much as the rest of the world's militaries combined, are completely shut out of the process. when both major parties have already ruled out viable options as a matter of ideology (as both the democratic party and the republican party as a whole are conservative, corporatist parties), the idea that "the middle" of the two is somehow, again, virtuous in any way, is laughable. now, it may be "imperative" in the context that poo policy is better than gridlock, but poo policy is poo policy, and i'm tired of golden mean dipshits parading around like they're somehow thinking outside the box by "acting as a liaison" between two parties that mostly differ on just how much they want to fug the poor and middle class

#42 Chimera

Chimera

Membrane

• HUDDLER
  • 11,009 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:51 AM

CWG, is that you and the Mrs. beside the comment box?

#43 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

Why stop at this pic for the thread? These stupid pics emails were rampant before the election. Happens just before, to invoke fear, and just after, to invoke disgust, each election, on each side.

You, CWG, are just now not caring what conservatives think? Could have sworn that ship sailed long ago.

Especially since you put all conservatives in as perpetrators of this offensive post. As mentioned, the loonies on the left savaged the Palin family, her down syndrome kid included. Guess we should have been through caring about your thoughts at that point? You part of the denegration of the Palin kid?

Bottom line. Your faux rage is laughable. Show the pic and ridicule it as should be, but don't act like you are traumatized.

#44 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,566 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

It should be noted that any human being who didn't enjoy the first daughters during the inauguration needs to get their head check.

#45 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 11,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Kids are kids and going to act like kids and left or right, should be left alone and not be part of any internet or media denegration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com