Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst team names in sports

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[img]http://www.memecreator.org/static/images/memes/977213.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1359245038' post='2115549']
I don't think the team actually uses the Panther enough in its packaging. Sure it's the logo, but that's about the end of it. The Vikings have their whole thing, and the Eagles and Bucs are also good at working in the stuff their team is named after. Even the Falcons pay tribute to their mascot by flying high above the radar and diving at the last minute.

Panthers are awesome animals and they should work that in more to how the team is presented.

[b]Could be because there aren't actually any panthers in the Carolinas.[/b]
[/quote]

We do have panthers in NC.

Posted · Report post

i'm pretty jealous of the bucs badass pirate ship that shoots off awesome cannon explosions after touchdowns. i bet if we chained up some real panthers behind the visitor's bench and let a couple tapirs run wild on the field at halftime the league would think our name is a little more visceral. or maybe a giant robotic panther that lurches onto the field and a mechanized jaw opens up and paid employees dressed like the visiting team's mascots run and fall into the mouth and get consumed and the panthers roar gets played on loop as the panther gazes mechanically skyward as if to majestically declare this territory his and his alone

i'd get PSLs for that
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='PhillyB' timestamp='1359262412' post='2115824']
i'm pretty jealous of the bucs badass pirate ship that shoots off awesome cannon explosions after touchdowns. i bet if we chained up some real panthers behind the visitor's bench and let a couple tapirs run wild on the field at halftime the league would think our name is a little more visceral. or maybe a giant robotic panther that lurches onto the field and a mechanized jaw opens up and paid employees dressed like the visiting team's mascots run and fall into the mouth and get consumed and the panthers roar gets played on loop as the panther gazes mechanically skyward as if to majestically declare this territory his and his alone

i'd get PSLs for that
[/quote]

Hahaah! Now that's an imagination! Reminds me of the direct TV commercial where the biker chick shoots the flaming arrows and they explode into a growling firey panther head. And your idea is even better than that! Lol!

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Shufdog' timestamp='1359260620' post='2115807']

We do have panthers in NC.
[/quote]
no you don't. there are 3 cats (jaguar, leopard, cougar) that can be classified as panthers, and none are native to NC. there used to be cougars throughout North America but they're now extinct in all but the west coast and southern tip of Florida.

Posted · Report post

Sorry, Los Angeles takes the cake for stupid names.
Lakers and Dodgers, neither which has anything to do with LA.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Brooklyn Bully' timestamp='1359244606' post='2115540']
[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/worst-nicknames-in-pro-sports-1358988683-slideshow/panthers-photo-1836590712.html[/url]

[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]lulz.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

I think it seems that way because we have been a so unsuccessful for so long. IMO- we have a nice logo, uniforms and team colors. The only downer is the part that matters, the product on the field sucks.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1359263600' post='2115840']

no you don't. there are 3 cats (jaguar, leopard, cougar) that can be classified as panthers, and none are native to NC. there used to be cougars throughout North America but they're now extinct in all but the west coast and southern tip of Florida.
[/quote]

Seen big cats in Cherokee often. Hell, one walked by our house one evening in guilford county. Cougars are everywhere.

Posted · Report post

These dallas cowboy fans shoul;d be shown to the smack forum. They just bandwagonin cause dallas sucked.

Posted · Report post

Not sure if college mascots are in play here but how about the BANANA SLUGS?

Sammy the Slug
University of California, Santa Cruz, Mascot

Posted · Report post

The only name in sporta that really makes sense, are the New England Patriots.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CatofWar' timestamp='1359263976' post='2115846']
Seen big cats in Cherokee often. Hell, one walked by our house one evening in guilford county. Cougars are everywhere.
[/quote]
graph i read listed 'extinct or severely reduced numbers' as the same thing which is bad graph making