Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst team names in sports

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1359264559' post='2115856']

graph i read listed 'extinct or severely reduced numbers' as the same thing which is bad graph making
[/quote]

Every now and then one will get struck by a vehicle in Cherokee and the same thing gets repeated: escaped pet. I dunno dude. I only know what I've seen. In east Texas they got bad for a short time going after my grandpas cattle. I shot a deer down there and it's whole backside was torn up pretty good.

Posted · Report post

I think what does resonate from the blogger is our franchise is boring to the neutral fan. That I understand. But it has little to do with our name choice. Everything to do with our 43% ish win record and small market with few national games. We dominated the Eagles on national tv this year and people just shrugged.
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Browns... Blue Jackets... Nuggets

Posted · Report post

Oh yea Maple Leafs. Nothing scary about that at all. It's like theTrees or Plants or some other bland generic name derived from nature.

Posted · Report post

[quote][color=#000000][font=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Carolina Panthers: Having Panthers as a nickname is like owning a 1990 Ford Taurus: It fills its purpose, but there's nothing remotely interesting about it.[/font][/color][/quote]

hey don't knock tauruses. when i pull up in this bad boy, it's serious business.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ZTzuWsM.jpg[/img]

Posted · Report post

Not every nickname is supposed to be scary - some are purely for local history. Who is scared of a Jazz? A Twin? A steel worker? A beer brewer?

Some are/were a combination of intimidating mascots + history: Chicago Bulls, Charlotte Hornets, Minnesota Vikings for examples.

Some are just nonsensical... Banana Slugs, Wizards, etc.

For some reason, weather nicknames rub me the wrong way. Thunder, Heat, Hurricanes, Lightning. I don't know why.

All the lakes in LA, lions in Detroit, saints in Nola, titanic sized people in TN, et al Really back up the argument about no panthers in the Carolinas.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Mr. Belding' timestamp='1359273299' post='2115914']

Some are just nonsensical... Banana Slugs, Wizards, etc.
[/quote]

they still make more sense than you

Posted · Report post

Awww shucks I have a stalker.

Wanna hang out and talk about how the Panthers should emulate the Eagles' free agent moves and be as successful as them?

Posted · Report post

We should change to the Hornets. Ha.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1359245038' post='2115549']
I don't think the team actually uses the Panther enough in its packaging. Sure it's the logo, but that's about the end of it. The Vikings have their whole thing, and the Eagles and Bucs are also good at working in the stuff their team is named after. Even the Falcons pay tribute to their mascot by flying high above the radar and diving at the last minute.

Panthers are awesome animals and they should work that in more to how the team is presented.

Could be because there aren't actually any panthers in the Carolinas.
[/quote]

Yes there are.

Posted · Report post

Interesting list. I think the B*****s should have been number 1 though. GO HORNETS.

Also I like the Panther nickname. I always have.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='rodeo' timestamp='1359263600' post='2115840']
no you don't. there are 3 cats (jaguar, leopard, cougar) that can be classified as panthers, and none are native to NC. there used to be cougars throughout North America but they're now extinct in all but the west coast and southern tip of Florida.
[/quote]

Well, they're not officially extinct in NC and are, in fact, on the endangered species list. There are no known population centers in NC and many biologists do believe the Eastern Cougar to be extinct with only the Florida Cougar still remaining.

There are still numerous "sightings" reported annually.

info:
http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/Learning/documents/Profiles/Cougar.pdf