15 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

Accorsi narrowed his initial list of candidates to five – Giants executives Dave Gettleman and Marc Ross, Tennessee Titans vice president of player personnel Lake Dawson, Montreal Alouettes GM Jim Popp and Minnesota Vikings assistant GM George Paton.
NFL rules prohibited the Panthers from talking to candidates from other teams until that team’s season ended. Accorsi said they considered bringing in Popp for an early interview, but decided to meet with all the candidates in January.
Paton informed the Panthers he was staying in Minnesota and turned down the interview. Despite outside perceptions that Accorsi hand-picked Gettleman, his friend and longtime colleague, Accorsi said everyone was on equal ground.
“I wasn’t going to sell anyone. First of all, that wasn’t going to work with Jerry Richardson,” Accorsi said. “Secondly, I have a lot of pride in my own integrity and I wasn’t going to do something like that.”

Read more here: http://http://www.ch...a-panthers.htmlwww.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/26/3815069/ernie-accorsi-on-carolina-panthers.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.charlotte...a-panthers.html

#2 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,501 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

<---- angry all the candidates didn't get a fair shot

beane 4 lyfe

#3 Wine&Cheese

Wine&Cheese

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Whatever... who here hasn't tried to help a buddy get an opportunity that he has long worked for? I don't knock Ernie for doing it but don't go overboard with lying about it...

#4 ForMac

ForMac

• ALL-PRO
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:43 AM

I like the decision, Jim Popp would have been a interesting choice too. If anything he'd be in win now to stay in his NFL gig and adapt.

#5 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,237 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

Just get rid of Armanti Edwards and Jimmy Clausen.

#6 2jakefansinva

2jakefansinva

Coach Jack Bolton

• HUDDLER
  • 4,735 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

to start with!

#7 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

I'd be worried about this sort of thing only if I had any sort of indication that Gettleman wasn't the best qualified candidate for the job.

That isn't the case.

During the process of profiling the GM candidates, Gettleman became my top choice for the job. But by all means, don't take my word for it. Read up on him yourself. If you find a reason not to like him outside of his age (which I don't consider such a big deal myself) I'll br surprised.

#8 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I'd be worried about this sort of thing only if I had any sort of indication that Gettleman wasn't the best qualified candidate for the job.

That isn't the case.

During the process of profiling the GM candidates, Gettleman became my top choice for the job. But by all means, don't take my word for it. Read up on him yourself. If you find a reason not to like him outside of his age (which I don't consider such a big deal myself) I'll br surprised.

I agree, to an extent. Is Gettleman the most experienced/best suited out of the group we interviewed, most definitely.

But, was the the best candidate out there? I don't think so, honestly. To me, Tom Gamble was the single best candidate for a GM job out of anyone. I think he is the perfect mix of Gettleman (a well-rounded guy, a guy that has done it all) only a younger candidate.

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

I agree, to an extent. Is Gettleman the most experienced/best suited out of the group we interviewed, most definitely.

But, was the the best candidate out there? I don't think so, honestly. To me, Tom Gamble was the single best candidate for a GM job out of anyone. I think he is the perfect mix of Gettleman (a well-rounded guy, a guy that has done it all) only a younger candidate.

Gamble was too closely tied to Bill and Chris Polian to ever be a real option here.

Worth noting that no one else hired him either, and I'm pretty sure at least three, maybe four teams interviewed him.

Weirdest part of the whole thing for me was how it looked like his getting the Jets job was just a formality, Then suddenly, he was out of the picture.

That interview must have gone spectacularly bad :unsure:

#10 Dollar Store Dave

Dollar Store Dave

Formerly Know As Ruff

• HUDDLER
  • 7,198 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Gamble was too closely tied to Bill and Chris Polian to ever be a real option here.

Worth noting that no one else hired him either, and I'm pretty sure at least three, maybe four teams interviewed him.

Weirdest part of the whole thing for me was how it looked like his getting the Jets job was just a formality, Then suddenly, he was out of the picture.

That interview must have gone spectacularly bad :unsure:

Honestly, who knows what the hell is going on with the Jets. If I was in the league circles, I would stay far away from that place, in the state that it is in now. That place is a zoo.

#11 Irv

Irv

Winner Best New Huddler

• HUDDLER
  • 3,593 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I don't think beane ever got a fair shot i DEMAND a recount and a copy of his birth certificate

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,908 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

Honestly, who knows what the hell is going on with the Jets. If I was in the league circles, I would stay far away from that place, in the state that it is in now. That place is a zoo.

I would too.

I feel sorry for John Idzik. He's tasked with turning a freakshow into a Shakespeare festival. Job's made even tougher given that the guy in charge on-field is one of the biggest freaks.

Gamble and Marc Ross were this season's bridesmaids. Won't surprise me if both get GM jobs next season though.

#13 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I think the lady doth protest too much.

#14 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

_RUN FOZZY RUN_

• HUDDLER
  • 17,314 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

Job One.

#15 Gabeking

Gabeking

• HUDDLER
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:11 AM

I would too.

I feel sorry for John Idzik. He's tasked with turning a freakshow into a Shakespeare festival. Job's made even tougher given that the guy in charge on-field is one of the biggest freaks.

Gamble and Marc Ross were this season's bridesmaids. Won't surprise me if both get GM jobs next season though.

Circus time!

http://profootballta...marcus-russell/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com