Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama: "If I had a son, I wouldnt let him play football"

203 posts in this topic

Posted

One more thing, youth sports are getting WAY to fugging serious at a WAY to early stage of development. They have 8 year old travel teams in baseball now, give me a fugging break.

It's these crazy fuging parents. I was lucky that my Dad never pushed me, he just encouraged. The only thing he said was have fun, if your not having fun don't do it.

Posted

One more thing, youth sports are getting WAY to fugging serious at a WAY to early stage of development. They have 8 year old travel teams in baseball now, give me a fugging break.

thats one reason I'm not going to push or do much encouraging to get my kid(s) into organized sports. there's other ways to keep them happy, active, social, and growing without giving up much of their childhood and being surrounded and influenced by people who give it that much of a priority.

Posted

It's these crazy fuging parents. I was lucky that my Dad never pushed me, he just encouraged. The only thing he said was have fun, if your not having fun don't do it.

Generally speaking, I think it's a good thing for kids to play sports.

I do think some parents shouldn't be allowed to watch :unsure:

Posted

I just want my son to do something active. He can pick whatever sport/activity he wants. He chose soccer this spring over baseball which hurt because im not a soccer fan, but its not for me its for him. My stance is we will always do the city/public leagues. My boys will not do the "pay for play" route with travel teams and AAU teams.

Posted

I just want my son to do something active. He can pick whatever sport/activity he wants. He chose soccer this spring over baseball which hurt because im bot a soccer fan, but its not for me its for him. My stance is we will always do the city/public leagues. My boys will not do the "pay for play" route with travel teams and AAU teams.

I did baseball traveling teams, because the level of play was higher and it improved my game and It was fun. I started doing that when I was 12. A lot of kids get pushed into those kinds of things though. I remember a few kids complaining to there parents that they didn't want to be there cause they were missing "X" and "X" events with their friends.

Posted

I did baseball traveling teams, because the level of play was higher and it improved my game and It was fun. I started doing that when I was 12. A lot of kids get pushed into those kinds of things though. I remember a few kids complaining to there parents that they didn't want to be there cause they were missing "X" and "X" events with their friends.

Bingo. If my son says he wants to try travel "x" then I'll be happy to do so. I know plenty of guys that don't give their kids the option.

Posted

I broke my leg and multiple fingers playing baseball, never really got "hurt" playing football.

Posted

I broke my leg and multiple fingers playing baseball, never really got "hurt" playing football.

I've seen a lot of messed up poo playing baseball. Dislocated arms, black eyes, broken fingers, concussions, bloody noses. 90mph fastballs taken to the face. But the chances of those things happening are so minute compared to football injuries. I saw a guy break his femur playing football. Scarred me for life.

Posted

In football I tore the arch in my right foot, tore the MCL in my right knee, had surgery on the other knee, had shoulder surgery, have a chronic bad ankle that will never get better, was knocked out and knocked silly on several occasions, switched majors in college so i wouldn't miss meaningless spring practice, and forced myself to stay at 290lbs to play. All before my junior year. I don't regret it and every drop of sweat was worth it. But there is plenty of time for my boys to get into that at an older age.

Posted

I sprained my ankle playing basketball. Hurt like poo!

Posted

I've seen a lot of messed up poo playing baseball. Dislocated arms, black eyes, broken fingers, concussions, bloody noses. 90mph fastballs taken to the face. But the chances of those things happening are so minute compared to football injuries. I saw a guy break his femur playing football. Scarred me for life.

Just to be clear, I'm not implying baseball is worse than football.

Posted

he said he would have to think long and hard before he let him play. it doesnt really get dangerous until high school or even college when the speed and power justs gets so crazy.