Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obama: "If I had a son, I wouldnt let him play football"

203 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

fugging offseason... I wish you guys would go back to talking about football so us noncontributing lurkers have something to read besides all this politicrap.

What I wouldn't give for a new Mr. Scot thread right about now...

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kansas Cat' timestamp='1359336699' post='2116510']
fugging offseason... I wish you guys would go back to talking about football so us noncontributing lurkers have something to read besides all this politicrap.

What I wouldn't give for a new Mr. Scot thread right about now...
[/quote]

Amen. I have started just checking the forum once a week. Gettleman is old cam is mean our oc is doomed blah blah

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Zod' timestamp='1359336298' post='2116507']
Comment?

It is a fact.

He was a male cheerleader.
[/quote]

OK, good point.

Michelle Obama only LOOKS like a linebacker, but she actually isn't, so your point is noted.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Gin and Juice' timestamp='1359335798' post='2116497']
Poor kid can't even ride in the car under this logic! ATV's and go karts are definitely out of the realm of possibilities! Being a kid just isn't as fun as it used to be! Just living out their wild side killing people on the video games.............seems logical
[/quote]

Actually no. This logic is a simple matter of risk vs return. Let's use stock investment as an analogy. In theory, potential return should be proportional to potential risk. For example, Greek government bonds are north of 10 percent because there's a higher potential for default. Thus, a higher return must be offered to offset this risk. Conversely, US government bonds are south of 2 percent because despite our inexplicable inability to manage our fiscal problems, we're still the safest game in town.

So football has a high risk profile due to the high contact nature of the sport. Add that in with inexperienced youth league coaches who may not always have safety in mind, and it's a fairly high risk proposition. Even in professional sports, the average baseball player makes more than the average football player and baseball is mostly guaranteed money.

But realistically, the vast majority if not all of our sons aren't playing professional sports. So the rewards of sports activities, learning about character and teamwork and having fun and the like. Well it's not like football is infinity better at these things than other comparable sports. There is no offsetting reward to compensate for the higher risk.

In short, playing football is a bad investment precisely because there are other sports that could achieve similar results with lower risk.

Posted · Report post

so wait six pages and not one person has brought up the fact that the real quote was "[b]I'd think long and hard[/b] before I'd let my son play football?"

jeeeeesus god
2 people like this

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Firefox' timestamp='1359328406' post='2116304']
[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img269/8724/bushpic.jpg[/img]

Manly Man

[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img218/7797/bummerpic.jpg[/img]

or Girly Man?
[/quote]

Of course the guy wearing Mom Jeans and throwing like a girl wants to destroy football.

Posted · Report post

THE MARINES STILL USE BAYONETS oh what he said something else and i'm arguing against shadows oh well back to flamin hot cheetos.

Posted · Report post

Smh off-season

Just like that manti teo poo. Not Panthers news at all

Posted · Report post

[quote name='beastson' timestamp='1359337525' post='2116525']
Smh off-season

Just like that manti teo poo. Not Panthers news at all
[/quote]

Not true. I heard that our third string linebacker tweeted something today that could be taken as mildly insulting towards our 4th string corner back. :)

Oh and the probowl is on, if anyone cares.

Posted · Report post

PEOPLE FALL ON ICE AND GET HURT BAN FIGURE SKATING LOL AND PUT MICHELLE KWAN IN JALE

Posted · Report post

If my kids wanted to play football I would support him.

My kids like to play golf, cook read and relax.

Posted · Report post

is this a nothing left wing ploy to take jabs at obama thread?
1 person likes this