You won't be in about 13 years :lol:

#137 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,908 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

my father didn't let me play football as much as I wanted to. And he was a standout QB at his High school. So i played baseball and soccer. Dad never missed a game, til i got a scholarship to play baseball 10 hours away from home. My father said it was a really hard decision for him.

#138 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

My mom wasn't thrilled with me playing football. My dad didn't care (wasn't interested in sports).

I played from Pee Wee up through high school. Got hurt plenty along the way, though my best friend who played QB had it worse (two knee operations before he was in high school). Saw plenty of friends get hurt, but never anything debilitating. Granted, now that I'm getting up in years, some of the old injuries occasionally like to remind me that they're there :lol:

Do kids get hurt playing sports? Yes, and not just football.

Do kids get hurt not playing sports? Yes, plenty.

Do kids get hurt just being kids? Parents know the answer to that one.

Being that I coach flag football, obviously I'm gonna encourage kids to play. Some of the kids I coach in flag also play tackle, and I tend to give them advice on that too.

Bad things happen. I don't know that you can base your whole life around just trying to avoid them and have it be much of a life.

#139 DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

DeAngelo's #1 Fan(CRA)

• Moderators
  • 25,982 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

My mom wasn't thrilled with me playing football. My dad didn't care (wasn't interested in sports).

I played from Pee Wee up through high school. Got hurt plenty along the way, though my best friend who played QB had it worse (two knee operations before he was in high school). Saw plenty of friends get hurt, but never anything debilitating. Granted, now that I'm getting up in years, some of the old injuries occasionally like to remind me that they're there :lol:

Do kids get hurt playing sports? Yes, and not just football.

Do kids get hurt not playing sports? Yes, plenty.

Do kids get hurt just being kids? Parents know the answer to that one.

Being that I coach flag football, obviously I'm gonna encourage kids to play. Some of the kids I coach in flag also play tackle, and I tend to give them advice on that too.

Bad things happen. I don't know that you can base your whole life around just trying to avoid them and have it be much of a life.

I agree bad things happen....kids can't live in a bubble.

However, all activites don't come with the same risks. That is like saying if you cross a country 2 lane road it is the same as crossing I77 in rush hour....one is more dangerous.

also, with the way kids grow up these days and are trained...that also makes a dangerous sport more dangerous. Human body isn't suppose to go through what certain positions put it through IMO.

#140 Pejorative Miscreant

Pejorative Miscreant

Cold Ass Honky

• HUDDLER
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Football will not exist.100.years from now with thinking like this..uh oh...

With the guys running DC (party agnostic) current projections says alot of other things wont exist 100 years from now. Football is way down the list of importance.

#141 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

However, all activites don't come with the same risks. That is like saying if you cross a country 2 lane road it is the same as crossing I77 in rush hour....one is more dangerous.

also, with the way kids grow up these days and are trained...that also makes a dangerous sport more dangerous. Human body isn't suppose to go through what certain positions put it through IMO.

agreed on all points.

#142 SCP

SCP

Crop Dusting Son of a Bitch

• HUDDLER
  • 20,564 posts
  • LocationOn a Sales Call

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I played football through college and only played 2 years of Pop Warner. My son has played flag football and this year he is supposed to move up to tackle. I'm not sure if I want him to play. Just like weight lifting, there is no point in starting a kid too early in this sport. Start playing in middle school and don't start lifting weights until you're older than 14. I used to say that I'd let my boys play tackle right away but paralysis, joint problems, and head trauma are too serious to screw around with in my opinion. They should have flag football for kids until they reach middle school.

#143 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

Sports definitely have dangers. They also have benefits.

It's gotta be individual, honestly. Buddy of mine has two sons, one of whom just isn't made for sports whereas it'd be a travesty to keep the other out of them.

Parents just have to know their kids. That's one reason why I don't like blanket statements about whether they would or wouldn't.

#144 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I played football through college and only played 2 years of Pop Warner. My son has played flag football and this year he is supposed to move up to tackle. I'm not sure if I want him to play. Just like weight lifting, there is no point in starting a kid too early in this sport. Start playing in middle school and don't start lifting weights until you're older than 14. I used to say that I'd let my boys play tackle right away but paralysis, joint problems, and head trauma are too serious to screw around with in my opinion. They should have flag football for kids until they reach middle school.

One more thing, youth sports are getting WAY to fugging serious at a WAY to early stage of development. They have 8 year old travel teams in baseball now, give me a fugging break.

#145 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,908 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

One more thing, youth sports are getting WAY to fugging serious at a WAY to early stage of development. They have 8 year old travel teams in baseball now, give me a fugging break.

It's these crazy fuging parents. I was lucky that my Dad never pushed me, he just encouraged. The only thing he said was have fun, if your not having fun don't do it.

#146 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,290 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

thats one reason I'm not going to push or do much encouraging to get my kid(s) into organized sports. there's other ways to keep them happy, active, social, and growing without giving up much of their childhood and being surrounded and influenced by people who give it that much of a priority.

#147 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 41,533 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

It's these crazy fuging parents. I was lucky that my Dad never pushed me, he just encouraged. The only thing he said was have fun, if your not having fun don't do it.

Generally speaking, I think it's a good thing for kids to play sports.

I do think some parents shouldn't be allowed to watch :unsure:

#148 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I just want my son to do something active. He can pick whatever sport/activity he wants. He chose soccer this spring over baseball which hurt because im not a soccer fan, but its not for me its for him. My stance is we will always do the city/public leagues. My boys will not do the "pay for play" route with travel teams and AAU teams.

#149 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,908 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I just want my son to do something active. He can pick whatever sport/activity he wants. He chose soccer this spring over baseball which hurt because im bot a soccer fan, but its not for me its for him. My stance is we will always do the city/public leagues. My boys will not do the "pay for play" route with travel teams and AAU teams.

I did baseball traveling teams, because the level of play was higher and it improved my game and It was fun. I started doing that when I was 12. A lot of kids get pushed into those kinds of things though. I remember a few kids complaining to there parents that they didn't want to be there cause they were missing "X" and "X" events with their friends.

#150 SCP

SCP

• HUDDLER
  • 20,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

I did baseball traveling teams, because the level of play was higher and it improved my game and It was fun. I started doing that when I was 12. A lot of kids get pushed into those kinds of things though. I remember a few kids complaining to there parents that they didn't want to be there cause they were missing "X" and "X" events with their friends.

Bingo. If my son says he wants to try travel "x" then I'll be happy to do so. I know plenty of guys that don't give their kids the option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com