• Please log in to reply
202 replies to this topic

#76 xerxes

xerxes

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:41 PM

Poor kid can't even ride in the car under this logic! ATV's and go karts are definitely out of the realm of possibilities! Being a kid just isn't as fun as it used to be! Just living out their wild side killing people on the video games.............seems logical

Actually no. This logic is a simple matter of risk vs return. Let's use stock investment as an analogy. In theory, potential return should be proportional to potential risk. For example, Greek government bonds are north of 10 percent because there's a higher potential for default. Thus, a higher return must be offered to offset this risk. Conversely, US government bonds are south of 2 percent because despite our inexplicable inability to manage our fiscal problems, we're still the safest game in town.

So football has a high risk profile due to the high contact nature of the sport. Add that in with inexperienced youth league coaches who may not always have safety in mind, and it's a fairly high risk proposition. Even in professional sports, the average baseball player makes more than the average football player and baseball is mostly guaranteed money.

But realistically, the vast majority if not all of our sons aren't playing professional sports. So the rewards of sports activities, learning about character and teamwork and having fun and the like. Well it's not like football is infinity better at these things than other comparable sports. There is no offsetting reward to compensate for the higher risk.

In short, playing football is a bad investment precisely because there are other sports that could achieve similar results with lower risk.

#77 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,086 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

so wait six pages and not one person has brought up the fact that the real quote was "I'd think long and hard before I'd let my son play football?"

jeeeeesus god

#78 FugginPoo

FugginPoo

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Posted Image

Manly Man

Posted Image

or Girly Man?

Of course the guy wearing Mom Jeans and throwing like a girl wants to destroy football.

#79 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

THE MARINES STILL USE BAYONETS oh what he said something else and i'm arguing against shadows oh well back to flamin hot cheetos.

#80 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

Smh off-season

Just like that manti teo poo. Not Panthers news at all

#81 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,727 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Smh off-season

Just like that manti teo poo. Not Panthers news at all

Not true. I heard that our third string linebacker tweeted something today that could be taken as mildly insulting towards our 4th string corner back. :)

Oh and the probowl is on, if anyone cares.

#82 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,086 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

PEOPLE FALL ON ICE AND GET HURT BAN FIGURE SKATING LOL AND PUT MICHELLE KWAN IN JALE

#83 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• ALL-PRO
  • 17,338 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

If my kids wanted to play football I would support him.

My kids like to play golf, cook read and relax.

#84 micnificent28

micnificent28

• HUDDLER
  • 3,029 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

is this a nothing left wing ploy to take jabs at obama thread?

#85 chknwing

chknwing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

whether they play football or not. Many members of this forum should wear a helmet :)

#86 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • 6,589 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Football is the modern day form of gladiators.

I don't know how many intelligent men would really want their sons to play football.

That being said, my son will be able to make his own informed decisions. I will not tell him what he can.and can't do when it comes to sports and work.

#87 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,411 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

But he did say he would allow his daughters into combat. Huddle section crossover post accomplished.

#88 Green Eggs and Cam

Green Eggs and Cam

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationGA

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

The pussification of America starts at the top.

#89 BANE

BANE

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts
  • LocationCollege

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

I say let your kids play want they want. If you dont want your kids playing football, you shouldnt be supporting it in any way. Dont want your kids to play the sport then go find another team in another sport to pull for.

#90 BigBoss

BigBoss

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

The greatest experience in my life was varsity football. How could I ever deny my kid such an opportunity? He'll know the risk and it'll be completely his choice. I can't make any parent raise a kid any way, but man I want my boy to enjoy the greatest sport in the planet first hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com