• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#91 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

In the opinion of those against the voterid laws, is the enactment of them a return to Jim Crow in all cases, or just in the red states?

#92 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's funny. We have allowed law upon law, and rule upon rule to be enacted regarding guns and the ability to own them. A right granted by the Constitution.

But ask someone to obtain a free ID card and show it before they cast a vote is totally Unconstitutional.

Seems like a bit of a double standard here.

#93 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

Can you yell "Fire!!" in a crowded theater and claim the Constitution gives you the right to say it?

Can you make up anything you like about someone you hate, publish it, and claim it's your right under the First Amendment?

#94 thefuzz

thefuzz

coppin a feel

• ALL-PRO
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Can you yell "Fire!!" in a crowded theater and claim the Constitution gives you the right to say it?

Can you make up anything you like about someone you hate, publish it, and claim it's your right under the First Amendment?

I am not arguing for voter ID cards, I doubt that you can find a post that I have made in favor or against them. It's not something that is really important to me.

That said, there are many rules that have been passed down about the right to bear arms, but very few when it comes to voting.

Just pointing out that while many on the left are kicking and screaming about rights being taken away (voter ID) they are also the ones kicking and screaming in favor of taking more rights away (gun law reform).

#95 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

How is having to show an ID to vote less intrusive for whites than blacks? It isn't and you fuging know it.

Just another moronic statement from our village idiot Panthro.

Who said anything about blacks?

I hope your reading comprehension isn't genetic

#96 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,340 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

But racial profiling doesn't exist in this country

#97 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

The party who wants less government wants to pass a law that will require the government to come up with and provide another form of ID for those who have no DL or state ID....

Keep the hypocrisy coming Republicans. Every day we can count on something to laugh about when it comes to the Glen Becks, Limbaughs and Coulters of this country.

#98 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,475 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Who said anything about blacks?

I hope your reading comprehension isn't genetic

God you really are a fuging moron. All this time I though this was all an act.

#99 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 19,475 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

But racial profiling doesn't exist in this country

This isn't racial profiling you idiot.

EVERYONE would be required to show an ID to prove who they are and that they are eligible to vote.

#100 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,555 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

This isn't racial profiling you idiot.

EVERYONE would be required to show an ID to prove who they are and that they are eligible to vote.

Btw, this is from FOX news.

Young minority voter turnout could drop by almost 700,000 in states with photo ID laws, says a new study.
The lower turnout among voters under the age of 30 could affect several House races as well as the tight presidential contest.
Using calculations based on turnout figures for the past two presidential elections, researchers at the University of Chicago and Washington University in St. Louis concluded that overall turnout this year by young people of color ages 18-29 could fall by somewhere between 538,000 to 696,000 in states with photo ID laws.

"Our estimates are conservative. We are looking at demobilization from 9 to 25 percent," said Cathy Cohen, a University of Chicago expert on young and minority voters, who worked on the study with Jon Rogowski of Washington University. "If young people really have valid IDs at a rate of only 25 or even 50 percent, the number of young people of color disenfranchised will be even greater than what we estimate."

Read more: http://latino.foxnew.../#ixzz2Jly38yFB

#101 NanuqoftheNorth

NanuqoftheNorth

Frosty Alaskan Amber

• HUDDLER
  • 4,937 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I would be all for that Voter ID thingy, except for the fact that it is a clear case of "Slippery Slope" as my NRA friends like to tell me. I know all the Cons will agree with me on this one. We should band together in this moment of crisis, when our American liberty hangs precariously in the balance, and organize a picture ID burning day to protest this egregious overreach by state governments everywhere! Who do these power hungry bureaucrats think they are? "Real Americans" will not have the wool pulled over our eyes! We see what is really going on here! Big Government, once again, attempting to undermine an American Citizen's Constitutional right to privacy! What's next, National IDs? Fug you, Lindsey Graham!

#102 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 17,503 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

The party who wants less government wants to pass a law that will require the government to come up with and provide another form of ID for those who have no DL or state ID....

Keep the hypocrisy coming Republicans. Every day we can count on something to laugh about when it comes to the Glen Becks, Limbaughs and Coulters of this country.

So you believe that the government isn't authorized to determine voter elegibility? If so, who is authorized? I am interested in hearing the explanation for that one.

#103 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

I am not arguing for voter ID cards, I doubt that you can find a post that I have made in favor or against them. It's not something that is really important to me.

That said, there are many rules that have been passed down about the right to bear arms, but very few when it comes to voting.

Just pointing out that while many on the left are kicking and screaming about rights being taken away (voter ID) they are also the ones kicking and screaming in favor of taking more rights away (gun law reform).

Yeah, I like to think of it more as "giving more people the right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness", with an emphasis on the first one.

The idea that people are "in favor of taking more rights away" is silly. People are in favor of "less people getting killed", But since you brought it up, it's interesting to ME that most people that holler about their "gun rights" are the same folks that think that putting more barriers between people that could never afford a gun, nevermind a collection of them, and the voting booth is dandy when they post FB memes about how they can't wait to use their guns to fight against "tyrrany" which appears to be to be defined by them as "people who want to pass gun laws" and that's about it.

If not having VoterID wa partially to blame in the deaths of over a thousand Americans in a month and a half or so, you let me know, OK?

#104 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 7,122 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

So you believe that the government isn't authorized to determine voter elegibility? If so, who is authorized? I am interested in hearing the explanation for that one.

Quite a stretch of an assumption on your part, I'd say. I simply pointed out the hypocrisy on clear display by the Republican party- the party of smaller, less intrusive government- wanting more government intervention in voting rights.

"Because there is no right to vote in the U.S. Constitution, individual states set their own electoral policies and procedures. This leads to confusing and sometimes contradictory policies regarding ballot design, polling hours, voting equipment, voter registration requirements, and ex-felon voting rights. As a result, our electoral system is divided into 50 states, more than 3,000 counties and approximately 13,000 voting districts, all separate and unequal." Fairvote.org

What I am in favor of is a Constitutional amendment affirming the right to vote, which a vast majority of people believe exists in this country when, in fact, it does not. As a matter of fact, the United States is 1 of but 11 democracies in the entire world that do not have the right to vote affirmed by a constitutional amendment.

Once that is in place, voting registration, eligibility and the voting process becomes standardized, thereby preventing what the Republican party attempted prior to the most recent election- voter suppression and are now attempting via gerrymandering.

#105 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,778 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Both parties gerrymander, it just gets worse and more craven the more desperate the offending party is. What people don't seem to get in their over zealous defense of the Constitution is that other democracies have taken what we created and refined it, just as we did compared to say, the Magna Carta. A lot of people in our country seem to thing that this document that is over two centuries old is something that is immortal not only in its significance but in its relevance. I have no doubt that the guys who wrote it would look at our world today where blacks are equal citizens, women have the same rights as men, a nation can destroy the entire planet in 20 minutes, and wonder what the hell are we treating them as demigods and their creation as the Last Word for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com