• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

You could make a case for virtually every song ever created is a 'ripoff' of something else. That's kind of how music works.

Of course there's a fine line to balance but still...

#17 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

We dominated time of possession though!

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,971 posts
  • LocationChapel Hill

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

all of the great black musicians that got ripped off legitimately by the likes of elvis presley are rolling over in their graves.

led zeppelin too

their first two albums were basically just loud, heavy blues covers they tried to pass off as original songwriting. compare the songwriting credits on the original vinyls to what you see on the CD reissues after they got sued.

#18 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

tengo baking soda

• ALL-PRO
  • 7,281 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Maybe the Black Keys are just smarter than all of us, and they realize their music has no substance whatsoever so they are trying to get every last dime before they slip off into irrelevancy.

I'm an old school White Stripes fan what can I say.

#19 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,374 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Well this isnt a lawsuit on other bands..this is when a beer commercial makes a song that sounds just like Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" and changes one note of the bass line and the ringing guitar part..just a bit....but you know what it is trying to be. That particular song was used in ESPN highlights..radio shows..just a sad ripoff.

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Well this isnt a lawsuit on other bands..this is when a beer commercial makes a song that sounds just like Nirvana's "smells like teen spirit" and changes one note of the bass line and the ringing guitar part..just a bit....but you know what it is trying to be. That particular song was used in ESPN highlights..radio shows..just a sad ripoff.

Didn't see that... that's completely different and justified...

#21 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

no it isn't. You can't copyright "garage-rock-blues" just because a certain type of people are using it for certain things.

#22 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

no it isn't. You can't copyright "garage-rock-blues" just because a certain type of people are using it for certain things.

No, but if they take essentially the same song and copy it, changing only one thing that's a problem... I agree that the "music style copyright" thing is BS.

#23 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

No, but if they take essentially the same song and copy it, changing only one thing that's a problem... I agree that the "music style copyright" thing is BS.

that's not the way it works... i deal with stock music all the time... they can't mimic something that closely legally. It usually sounds like garbage and all it's really intended to do is remind you of the song in question... Every f*cking blues song in the world sounds the same... you can't write a blues song that hasn't already been written... the fact that the black keys think they can add distortion and suddenly they own it is absurd.

#24 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I agree.

#25 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

There's a current running car ad(I think) that is exactly Adele's Someone like you. There's no melody, just the chord changes, but it sounds like they just took out the singing track from the song and ran with it.

#26 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Meshuggah could single handedly end the djent genre... lol

...and none of you know wtf I'm talking about...

#27 davos

davos

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,976 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

This reminds me of Tom Waits & Applebees but mirroring TW is a little more obvious than Black Keys.

The Raconteurs or Howlin Rain could claim the same thing honestly with this song. Its genre influenced not a straight up copy or anything.

#28 SZ James (banned)

SZ James (banned)

The loud atheist minority drummed Tim Tevo out of the NFL.

• HUDDLER
  • 8,265 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

v Im gonna pimp this thread I started a while ago v

http://www.carolinah...erything +remix

#29 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

looks like we have 2 pages of "everyone rips off everyone anyway" so i don't need to get into that. i guess my question for the people who say that and still believe in intellectual property rights is "just how much does a song need to be changed before it's no longer IP?"

also how much of a book needs to be changed before i should be able to sell it without being sued?

#30 Catalyst

Catalyst

• HUDDLER
  • 4,107 posts
  • LocationMorehead City

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

Would this not fall under parody laws?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com