18 replies to this topic

#1 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

We're few years removed from completely piloted vehicles...

#2 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,480 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

I can't wait until cars are auto piloted on legal state maintained highways. No more DUI's.

#3 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

The first piloted cars will cost a lot tho. Will take few years for the price to drop. They can probably use sonar to gather information about surroundings, analyze it and process in matter of a second for this to work. Like bats do. Speed of sound is faster than speed of a car, so that should work.

#4 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

Read Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson and you won't be so keen on self-piloted cars. The end times are beginning...

#5 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

I don't think that will ever happen. Almost all software have a single purpose. I doubt computers will ever have consciousness.

#6 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,191 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

I don't think that will ever happen. Almost all software have a single purpose. I doubt computers will ever have consciousness.

:devil:

#7 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Sonar? Sound?

ARSEN, they may not have a lot of electricity in the Ukraine or Russia or Georgia or wherever you're from, but there is this sort of amplified EM called a "laser"...

#8 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,566 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Read Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson and you won't be so keen on self-piloted cars. The end times are beginning...

Posted Image

#9 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Sonar? Sound?

ARSEN, they may not have a lot of electricity in the Ukraine or Russia or Georgia or wherever you're from, but there is this sort of amplified EM called a "laser"...

Seriously dude... We're way more advanced in technology than you might think. We had piloted technology in works for couples decades now...

Posted Image

#10 DC Amp

DC Amp

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 2,368 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

a) It's too slow

b ) It's too rough on that expensive equipment

c) Damn that's a big lamp!

#11 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

And that actually has more HP than the Yugo it's made from.

#12 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,313 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

When you consider the amount of wireless networks, how easy basic encryption would be to break for a AI level computer, and the fact more and more things are connected to the "net" it's not that much of a stretch.

Sci-Fi nerd knowledge tells me the issue is the AI would basically become a virus, infecting non sentient electronics and giving them some level of awareness, all with the same goal of working for the "Queen" AI.

#13 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,543 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

I see an immediate flaw: "Please take the ticket."

But I'm always in favor of anything that keeps women from actually driving. So I'll invest.

#14 ARSEN

ARSEN

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

When you consider the amount of wireless networks, how easy basic encryption would be to break for a AI level computer, and the fact more and more things are connected to the "net" it's not that much of a stretch.

Sci-Fi nerd knowledge tells me the issue is the AI would basically become a virus, infecting non sentient electronics and giving them some level of awareness, all with the same goal of working for the "Queen" AI.

Time will tell. Computer processing speed doubles every year... Should be too long at this rate.

#15 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,553 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

Nah, Moore's Law is slowing down.

And I use 20MM worth of software everyday, not even including the hardware....and 80% of it is bleeding edge. Yet, if we misplace a ":" or "_" or a ";"...nothing happens. It'll be a while before that takes over the world without root user input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.