#1 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Curious as to how the Defense Department could be spying on you next? PBS checked in with DARPA about the latest in drone camera technology for the NOVA special Rise of the Drones, including the world's highest-resolution camera.

Actually seeing the sensor on ARGUS-IS, or Autonomous Real-Time Ground Ubiquitous Surveillance Imaging System, is still classified, but the basics of how it works have been deemed fit for public consumption.

ARGUS-IS uses 368 imaging chips like those found in cell phone cameras, to stitch together a 1.8 billion pixel video. That means from 17,500 feet in the air, ARGUS-IS can see someone on the ground waving their arms. And it generates that kind of high-definition video for an area 15 square miles across. It can see a bird flying through a parking lot from more than three miles in the air.

It can store a million terabytes of video a day, up to 5,000 hours of footage, so soon drones will not only be able to see everything that happens on the ground, but also keep that record.

Whether or not ARGUS has been used in the field is still classified. Let's get real, though: Does this cool a toy get put in a corner?

http://www.popsci.co...-17500-feet-air

Remember that the US has approved these to fly over our own soil. How do you love the surveillance state?

#2 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

I can't wait for all of the new reality tv programs this is gonna make!!!!!!

#3 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• HUDDLER
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

When this thing can see through my roof I might get worried. Until then I have to remind myself of the phrase "reasonable expectation of privacy" and not worry if this thing catches me sun tanning my scrotum in the back yard.

#4 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

This isn't much different from the capabilities of our satellites... Just cheaper.

#5 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• HUDDLER
  • 5,028 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

I'm not out doing terrorist poo so I'm not worried about it. If this helps prevent another 9/11 or helps is keep an eye on Bad guys' nuclear programs, more power to us.

#6 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

I'm not out doing terrorist poo so I'm not worried about it. If this helps prevent another 9/11 or helps is keep an eye on Bad guys' nuclear programs, more power to us.

Ohh for fug's sake.

#7 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

NSA Goal accomplished!..

The new one is to make the public 'Buy in" to "guys we need to start increasing all our taxes to help the country" Creating an economic, publicized economic panic allows the country to sacrifice cash and economic mobility to fund expanding Military initiatives...

#8 Inimicus

Inimicus

• HUDDLER
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Ohh for fug's sake.

NSA Goal accomplished!..

The new one is to make the public 'Buy in" to "guys we need to start increasing all our taxes to help the country" Creating an economic, publicized economic panic allows the country to sacrifice cash and economic mobility to fund expanding Military initiatives...

OK so Ill bite.

Whats the concern over the use of this technology over US soil? Why should I be concerned? What right/privilege/freedom is in danger by these things being in the sky? And dont give me some hyperbolic slippery slope bullshit answer. Tell me why I should be concerned by this.

#9 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 11,887 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Your privacy is ten thousand times more threatened by Facebook than this camera.

#10 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

OK so Ill bite.

Whats the concern over the use of this technology over US soil? Why should I be concerned? What right/privilege/freedom is in danger by these things being in the sky? And dont give me some hyperbolic slippery slope bullshit answer. Tell me why I should be concerned by this.

There's quite a large group of people who don't like the idea that the government, should they want to, has the ability to see, follow, and track your every move. It's totalitarian, it's big brother, it's a surveillance state. These things make people feel threatened, feel imprisoned to a overbearing, overarching power structure.

#11 Floppin

Floppin

Smooches

• HUDDLER
  • 12,369 posts
  • LocationShallotte, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Your privacy is ten thousand times more threatened by Facebook than this camera.

Unless I'm mistaken, Facebook doesn't have the ability to track me with live camera. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it does.

#12 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

No please, tell me more about this Amway....sounds promising

• HUDDLER
  • 4,981 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Well Cell phone and GPS apps that track you...its not what are they doing today but the non-opposition to what could be done. Privacy is not a bad thing or a crime.

Find my cell phone app today.....Terminator-Drone target lock tomorrow...enjoy.

Also Minority Report style technology will have commercial applications that just will be annoying.

#13 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 13,998 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Posted Imageproblem solved.

#14 Inimicus

Inimicus

• HUDDLER
  • 5,963 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

There's quite a large group of people who don't like the idea that the government, should they want to, has the ability to see, follow, and track your every move. It's totalitarian, it's big brother, it's a surveillance state. These things make people feel threatened, feel imprisoned to a overbearing, overarching power structure.

But that presupposes that they would want to. That for some reason the US Govt would find you and your habits uniquely interesting out of the 313 million other Americans.

My guess is that without reason to look in on someone the powers that be would have little to no resources for simply watching citizens go about their mundane little lives. For that matter they probably wouldn't have the resources to watch even known or suspected criminals unless they were suspected of being involved in reasonably serious crimes.

I dont see how its any different than worrying about the fact that, if so motivated, the government could recreate every single online mouse click and see every single website I had visited in the last year or more. Can they do it? Yes. Will they? Not likely. So on my scale of worry/dont worry about it its way down in the "fug it" region.

#15 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 15,518 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm not out doing terrorist poo so I'm not worried about it.

Neither were some of the folks in Gitmo...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.