Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What does Gettleman need to do to make you optimistic for 2013?

75 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Honestly nothing, nor do I expext anything. It's done, cut the losses and rebuild. Cam will be in year 5-6 before this team is cleaned up from this mess. No dt talent, no wr talent past smith, old and injury plagued ol. No s talent, little cb talent past gamble. Very little to do, but cut your losses and start building toward 2015-2016 season.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='carpanfan96' timestamp='1359484340' post='2118258']
Honestly nothing, nor do I expext anything. It's done, cut the losses and rebuild. Cam will be in year 5-6 before this team is cleaned up from this mess. No dt talent, no wr talent past smith, old and injury plagued ol. No s talent, little cb talent past gamble. Very little to do, but cut your losses and start building toward 2015-2016 season.
[/quote]

Doesn't take long to rebuild in the NFL....if you do it right.

No reason Carolina can't be competitive in 2013 (have been every year w/ Cam, it is just a play here or there too often).....and be legit in 2014.

WR looks to be the weak area if looking ahead at 2014 since we will have to pass on this decent crop of FA WRs this year. You can find bodies for most spots but a #1 WR doesn't just fall off a tree.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Cyberjag' timestamp='1359473721' post='2118046']
There've certainly been a lot of disagreements around here regarding the Panthers' offseason activities to date. Notably, the decision to keep Rivera before hiring a GM, and then the subsequent choices for the OC and ST coach have made for collections of long threads.

Recent news suggests that Gettleman wasn't willing to offer any of the new coaches contracts that extended past next year. And it's almost common knowledge that Rivera's gone then if he doesn't win. Rumors and tweets have also floated around that there's a lame duck atmosphere starting to emerge, similar to that of 2010. Note that I'm not saying there is, but given the actions by the Front Office so far it's understandable how some people may think that. And Gettleman is almost getting a pass on his first year, because of the Rivera decision, so there's no immediate pressure on him.

As another poster has already pointed out, because of cap issues we're likely to lose some talent. So as of now it's likely that we're going into next season with downgrades in talent, in coaching, and with a staff that has no job security. Hardly a winning formula, right?

So here's the real question here. What does Gettleman have to do in the next few months to convince you that he intends to win next year, and isn't just building for 2014 and beyond? And be realistic, ok? We're not signing a zillion high priced free agents, we just don't have the money. So within reason, what can he do to show you he means business?
[/quote]

Simply, I want gettleman to prove and show to us that he really is a different and more effective GM than Hurnia ever was. He can show us that IMO by changing how we address the offseason in terms of our draft picks (addressing the lines early!) and becoming more effective in free agency, even though he'll obviously be limited due to the cal situation (FA was his specialty with the giants, of course). Also, prove that he [i]really[/i] meant what he said about evaluating and building the roster unemotionally in his intro press conference. And finally, don't get desperate when draft day comes along! Being aggressive in the draft doesn't also have to mean being stupid, either. All in all, even if we don't have stellar results this year, show us signs that you're willing to stray away from hurney's flawed philosophy in regards to the draft and FA, to provide us hope in the future.

Also, show me where it suggests that it was actually gettleman behind the one year contract offers? All I read was it that it was the panthers in general who were offering the one year deals? Not saying he wasnt the one behind them.. And correct me if im wrong but I found no where in any reports that suggest it was specifically him behind the offers... And where were the rumors or tweets about the "lame duck" feel around the facility originated? JW cuz I never saw them and I would like to see them, thanks!

Posted · Report post

if he can sell the idea to those high priced vets to restructure, thats the first step

Posted · Report post

[b]I think we bring in a vet QB if Anderson leaves. We should cut Pickles and keep Edwards for 3rd QB. Cut Gamble,[/b]
[b]restructure Dwill and trade Stewart who has more trade value for more picks or a quality player of need (H. Nicks).[/b]
[b]Cut Hangman , Nakamura, Martin and tell Beason to restructure his contract and play another position (not mlb)[/b]
[b]or try to trade him. Draft BPA (OL or DL) with the first. 2nd round draft whichever is not chosen in the first. After that take best player available which fits our needs.[/b]

Posted · Report post

Every time some advocates Edwards staying I want to kick them in the face.

Posted · Report post

People on here know I was one of JRs biggest critics in 2010, but I am optimistic about this year. Firing Hurney sent a big message to everyone that they are on a short leash. Rivera and Shula will be working their butts off to get things right because Shula wants to show he can be a successful OC and Rivera wants to know he is going to be here a while. Gettleman will get the cap down because he has to, he has no choice. But I think he can do it without slashing and burning everything. If he lets Gamble go for example he has done a big job toward that end, in and of itself. Contracts given to WIlliams for example were given with the intent that he would never see all the money.

I think that barring some major screwups, we will be a playoff team this year and by 2014 we will have a manageable cap. All of these folks who are down or angry need to lighten up and sit back and watch. It really is going to be alright.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='panthers55' timestamp='1359488482' post='2118326']
People on here know I was one of JRs biggest critics in 2010, but I am optimistic about this year. Firing Hurney sent a big message to everyone that they are on a short leash. Rivera and Shula will be working their butts off to get things right because Shula wants to show he can be a successful OC and Rivera wants to know he is going to be here a while. Gettleman will get the cap down because he has to, he has no choice. But I think he can do it without slashing and burning everything. If he lets Gamble go for example he has done a big job toward that end, in and of itself. Contracts given to WIlliams for example were given with the intent that he would never see all the money.

I think that barring some major screwups, we will be a playoff team this year and by 2014 we will have a manageable cap. All of these folks who are down or angry need to lighten up and sit back and watch. It really is going to be alright.
[/quote]

You have Stockholm syndrome :)
1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

I really don't understand all the pessimism... This team has a lot of positions that could be better, but only a few that aren't good enough to compete.

1. Chud's playcalling and OG play killed the offense this season. Chud is gone and I'm certain OG will be improved.
2. FS play contributed to its share of games. Though, I did feel better about Godfrey at FS and Campbell at SS towards the end. That combo just might work, but I wouldn't be against bringing in a vet. Or a prospect in the later rounds of the draft.

This offense has a ton of weapons that were criminally underutilized. I know a strong #2 WR would help, but Lafell and Olsen are weapons. And I'm not so sure Gettis can't be a future Marques Colston. Smitty's replacement may not be on the team yet. But as long as he is, we're okay there. There are three proven RBs in the backfield - just use them and get them quality o-linemen that allow them to work. This team should be able to run on anyone.

The defense is very strong at all LB positions and DE - like some of the best in the league strong. The CBs are young but physical and confident. Once again, they could be improved but what we have there now is competitive.

You don't have to stop every pass or tackle every run in the backfield. You can give up some points and some big plays. As long as you can counter with your own, and make a few key stops, you'll be in the game.

TL;DR version: We don't have as many glaring holes as some make it out to be. How many teams have superstars at every position? Know and play to your strengths, focus on key areas (OL/DL) for new talent, and call a smart game. The Panthers will be okay next season if they do those three things.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='Kurb' timestamp='1359488984' post='2118329']

You have Stockholm syndrome :)
[/quote]

Kudos that you know what Stockholm Syndrome is.

If I have that then you have learned helplessness, LOL

Posted · Report post

[quote name='BigBeast52' timestamp='1359481873' post='2118217']
Yeah I'm not feeling optimistic about this team at all. No cap space, limited draft picks, no job security for coaches, needs all over the team. Not looking bright for next year
[/quote]

Add to that a hard ass schedule and we are looking at another 6-7 win season and another year wasting Newton's talent. If I was Cam I'd be getting the fug out. Hopefully he is not as impatient as I am.

Posted · Report post

And for the love of Christ quit saying we should keep AE or move him to 3rd QB. That guy is NIT an NFL talent, sorry to break it to you.