Photo
- - - - -

What does Gettleman need to do to make you optimistic for 2013?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

I have a goal of having a solid gold toilet in my house this year. Probably won't happen.

Goals are funny like that. You need a plan to reach them.

#62 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

A good plan that is well executed.

#63 Kevin Greene

Kevin Greene

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 16,662 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

As John McKay once said of what he thought of his team's execution so far:
"I'm all for it."

#64 CC Rider

CC Rider

NOT NEWB

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

There is nothing he can do to make me as optimistic as I was last off-season. I really expected an over-the-top team, as I think a lot of people did.

I will always pull for the Panthers to do great things, but as of now (actually since game 3 of 2012) I am in full on "I'll believe it when I see it" mode. Nothing anybody says will ever get me to be excited about this team. This time, my enthusiasm will have to be earned. I'll still watch every game, every off-season move with interest, always root for my team and I'll still be bummed when they loose... but until I see it on the field, I won't get fooled again.

It was my own fault of course, not managing my own expectations...

So what can he say to make me optimistic? Nothing.
Show me, don't tell me.

#65 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Gettleman is in a position where no matter what he does we're going to lose some very talented players. Drafting well, and finding diamond in the rough type FAs would give me some hope for next season. But even if we draft well, I just don't see a winning season on the horizon. We're lacking at CB, S, OG, OT, DT, WR, and we're probably going to lose Gamble and a few other vets. I hope I'm wrong and we have a great season, but things look really bad right now.

#66 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,511 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Gettleman is in a position where no matter what he does we're going to lose some very talented players. Drafting well, and finding diamond in the rough type FAs would give me some hope for next season. But even if we draft well, I just don't see a winning season on the horizon. We're lacking at CB, S, OG, OT, DT, WR, and we're probably going to lose Gamble and a few other vets. I hope I'm wrong and we have a great season, but things look really bad right now.

So how many of these guys we will lose actually contributed during our late season run?? Gamble?? No. The secondary got better without him. Nakamura? LOL, Ron Edwards?? He finished the season on IR as well.
Stewart didn't play, Beason didn't play, etc. Williams, Dwan Edwards and Tolbert were the only guys who we could use who were there all year and produced but we could lose to cap issues.. Gross is another is they let him go although I don't think they will.

We won with a lot of backups and no names like DJ Campbell, James Dockery, Dwan Edwards, and Nate Ness to name a few. I think canning some big name overpriced guys and putting folks on notice will shake things up and get better results. You don't need big stars to win, you need guys who play big in big situations to win.

#67 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

So how many of these guys we will lose actually contributed during our late season run?? Gamble?? No. The secondary got better without him. Nakamura? LOL, Ron Edwards?? He finished the season on IR as well.
Stewart didn't play, Beason didn't play, etc. Williams, Dwan Edwards and Tolbert were the only guys who we could use who were there all year and produced but we could lose to cap issues.. Gross is another is they let him go although I don't think they will.

We won with a lot of backups and no names like DJ Campbell, James Dockery, Dwan Edwards, and Nate Ness to name a few. I think canning some big name overpriced guys and putting folks on notice will shake things up and get better results. You don't need big stars to win, you need guys who play big in big situations to win.

Gamble not participating in our run at the end of the season doesn't mean we're better without him. I would consider losing him to be major loss. Nakamura is terrible and it's no big deal to lose him. Edwards is decent but aging, so again not too big of a deal losing him.

We don't at this point know who will be cut (of course), but we're going to lose talent off of a team that really doesn't have much to spare.

Winning a lot with backups and no names? I mean the run we went on was due in large part because we played several terrible teams close together. Cam Newton can drag this team past the lesser teams in the NFL, but having a winning season is a different matter. Of course I want guys who play big in big situations, but I'm really worried about the overall taent level of this team. And when the cuts come the talet level with drop even lower. Now I certainly hope our newer players can step up and toe the line, but I'm very concerned.

#68 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,511 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

Gamble not participating in our run at the end of the season doesn't mean we're better without him. I would consider losing him to be major loss. Nakamura is terrible and it's no big deal to lose him. Edwards is decent but aging, so again not too big of a deal losing him.

We don't at this point know who will be cut (of course), but we're going to lose talent off of a team that really doesn't have much to spare.

Winning a lot with backups and no names? I mean the run we went on was due in large part because we played several terrible teams close together. Cam Newton can drag this team past the lesser teams in the NFL, but having a winning season is a different matter. Of course I want guys who play big in big situations, but I'm really worried about the overall taent level of this team. And when the cuts come the talet level with drop even lower. Now I certainly hope our newer players can step up and toe the line, but I'm very concerned.

Can't say I agree on most fronts with your post. Our secondary got better when Gamble and Norman went out. We played a more aggressive press man coverage which Gamble has never been that good at doing. He was always a cover 2 guy most of his time here. We will lose some talent and will gain some as well. Plus guys like Silatolu, Adams, and a number of other rookie or young guys will have a year in the system and most players make their biggest jump between year 1 and year 2. So experience wise, we will be better not worse even if we lose a few guys.

And we played both New Orleans and Atlanta during that stretch who are bitter division rivals and who are not terrible teams. The one team that was terrible, KC, we actually lost to them. Anytime you can win on the road is a good win.

When you look at how the backups and practice squad guys came together, you realize that on paper the guys were less talented but more motivated and that is the key. We will have guys who are playing for their football lives next year and need to win, they will do more even if they have less because it isn't just how talented the players are, but how well they complement each other and as a unit perform at a high level. After watching Philly for the past 2 years it is easy to see that talent alone doesn't win games either.

#69 R0CKnR0LLA

R0CKnR0LLA

Drunk Posting

• HUDDLER
  • 8,896 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, NV

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

The biggest thing I want to see this offseason is getting rid of those bad Hurney contracts. Either by dumping the player or renegotiating the deal. Just about every non-rookie contract on this team is a bad deal (besides the bottom of the roster league minimum type guys).

That and have a solid draft. Both of these things will help set the team up for long term success.

I really don't expect much for 2013 though, even if these things do happen. Like was mentioned in the OP, the coaching staff was already bad and has been downgraded AND is in lame duck status, free agent wise we'll be subtracting more talent than adding, and we have limited draft picks. Oh and a tough schedule. So yeah.

#70 Ivan The Awesome

Ivan The Awesome

That wasn't a Penalty.

• HUDDLER
  • 9,676 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:26 AM

That good and fine, but you know what is better than a few good scouts ? A poo ton of good scouts.

You're right on that account. There is still a slight chance that he may lure away some scouts from the Giants. You never know.

#71 O-Ther

O-Ther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMCO

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:05 AM

Gettleman can impress me by getting vets to re-structure their deals. Hurney was a player's wet dream as a GM, handing out those contracts to positions you shouldn't overpay for (S, RB, LB). I'd be even more impressed if he was able to trade some of that high-priced talent out of town for more than a 4th rounder. I'm sure Beason wouldn't mind going to Chicago or Baltimore to take over for Urlacher or Lewis...

#72 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,793 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:04 AM

Gettleman can impress me by getting vets to re-structure their deals. Hurney was a player's wet dream as a GM, handing out those contracts to positions you shouldn't overpay for (S, RB, LB). I'd be even more impressed if he was able to trade some of that high-priced talent out of town for more than a 4th rounder. I'm sure Beason wouldn't mind going to Chicago or Baltimore to take over for Urlacher or Lewis...

true about hurney. other teams had a lot of trouble with agents like rosenhaus, but not us. why? because we overpay for our own guys. we were easy marks.

#73 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,232 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

Gamble is one of our most inconsistent players if you look at his career....season to season he is almost a different guy. We did just fine without him.

The Atl Falcons played a lot of terrible teams....it is the NFL....you normally make the postseason if you beat all the "bad" teams on your schedule and find a way to win 2 against good teams

#74 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Gamble is one of our most inconsistent players if you look at his career....season to season he is almost a different guy. We did just fine without him.

The Atl Falcons played a lot of terrible teams....it is the NFL....you normally make the postseason if you beat all the "bad" teams on your schedule and find a way to win 2 against good teams

The only stretch of time I thought Gamble played poorly was when he went through that period where he was playing with a neck injury. But let's say he's an inconsistant player, even so, he's a valuable and talented player who I'd rather not lose. Now I'm favor of cutting him because we're way over the cap, and cutting him would be a huge help to our cap situation. I think our secondary will do fine without him so long as CJ and Hardy continue to dominate.

Let's say we have a decent draft. If you had to make a prediction do you think we're going to make the postseason?

#75 pantherj

pantherj

• HUDDLER
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

Can't say I agree on most fronts with your post. Our secondary got better when Gamble and Norman went out. We played a more aggressive press man coverage which Gamble has never been that good at doing. He was always a cover 2 guy most of his time here. We will lose some talent and will gain some as well. Plus guys like Silatolu, Adams, and a number of other rookie or young guys will have a year in the system and most players make their biggest jump between year 1 and year 2. So experience wise, we will be better not worse even if we lose a few guys.

And we played both New Orleans and Atlanta during that stretch who are bitter division rivals and who are not terrible teams. The one team that was terrible, KC, we actually lost to them. Anytime you can win on the road is a good win.

When you look at how the backups and practice squad guys came together, you realize that on paper the guys were less talented but more motivated and that is the key. We will have guys who are playing for their football lives next year and need to win, they will do more even if they have less because it isn't just how talented the players are, but how well they complement each other and as a unit perform at a high level. After watching Philly for the past 2 years it is easy to see that talent alone doesn't win games either.

Oakland was terrible imo. SD had all kinds of problems. Yes road wins are good.

By all means I hope the motivatonal factor comes through for us in spades. We'll be losing some talented and experienced players, and gaining inexperienced players who are fighting to stay in the league. Kind of reminds me of this quote "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" - Mark Twain. Not to mention that RR will probably be fired if we have another losing season, along with most, if not all of the coaching staff. It's all on the line. Should be fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.