Photo
- - - - -

If there is a better guitar player going today......

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,448 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

I promise you this is the best guitar player in the world. He shreds electrics also. You should probably take the time to watch. starts playing at about 1:45

#17 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Oh don't get me wrong... I love pretty much all music... I just feel like metal musicians are technically superior to most... except maybe some bluegrass musicians...

That said, give me another SRV any day of the week and I'd be happy. Talk about soul coming though music...

#18 cultclassiccat

cultclassiccat

flash

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationG spot

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I promise you this is the best guitar player in the world. He shreds electrics also. You should probably take the time to watch. starts playing at about 1:45

i thought that was quite entertaining....he is damn good.

#19 natty

natty

• ALL-PRO
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Oh don't get me wrong... I love pretty much all music... I just feel like metal musicians are technically superior to most... except maybe some bluegrass musicians...

That said, give me another SRV any day of the week and I'd be happy. Talk about soul coming though music...

Actually, it's the usually exact opposite. Heavy distortion makes very sloppy playing sound good. If you want to play really fast and make it sound good distortion makes it a thousand times easier.

I have nothing against metal guitarists, but metal players and fans have a tendency to over inflated their abilities.

#20 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

I just feel

#21 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 18,288 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Anyone heard of Steve Vai?

#22 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Cuttin Heads!

#23 stirs

stirs

I Reckon So

• HUDDLER
  • 10,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Anyone is naturally going to think guitarists of the genre they prefer are going to be better. While the metal guys have great chops and are plenty talented, I'd prefer the guy from the OP. He has more of a voice than the guys that rip off as many notes as they can. I feel like those kind of players are trying more to impress people than play music and it usually sounds very boring to me.

I agree. Speed does not equal quality nor talent in some realms of music.

Youtube is full of "fastest guitarist" stuff, but not very appealing to me. Guess it is just taste.

#24 Cary Kollins

Cary Kollins

keep lbing

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,325 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Jake from Umphrey's McGee is killer as well. Every time I see them they never fail to blow me away. I think he has mastered every style of music. Here's a cool little clip I found.

#25 twylyght

twylyght

The picture of how I care

• HUDDLER
  • 2,336 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Of the shredding variety, Nuno Bettencourt and Yngwie have to get a mention somewhere, though Nuno will have to get a nod for pure musicianship at some level.

Kravitz and Hendrix have to be recognized somewhere on the spectrum.

Michael Angelo Batio would have to get a nod on technical proficiency

Claypool is a must for anyone in the know with respect to his sheer talent even if he is inaccessible for many. Other musicians hard to peg are Steve Howe, David Gilmore, Adam Jones, and (though not a guitarist, a virtuoso in his own right) Ravi Shankar.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd continues to impress in blues circles.

For pure musicianship, Hans Zimmer is actually a little known commodity with respect to his chops.

If you want just a random peek at some of the prodigies on the way, here is a taste of what is on the way

#26 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:51 PM

I was actually neighbors with Steve Vai for a while. I would hang with his son 'Fire' a lot and jam guitars. Really cool guy.

#27 beach

beach

|~~~~|

• HUDDLER
  • 9,131 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:57 PM

Excluding the obvious big names like Beck, Clapton, Gilmour, Vai, Knopfler, Petrucci, etc....

I've always thought Steve Howe was overlooked. Alex Lifeson is another great one.

#28 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

well the all time best to me is jimi hendrix...he was from the future.......

now in the present time i dont really have favs but i do like some guys check this dude out.

#29 Salvo

Salvo

BEWB

• ALL-PRO
  • 791 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

Love me some Joe Bonamassa. Never heard of him until last year and ever since then, I've really dug his style. Hope to see him in April if I get all my ducks in a row. Easily one of my favorite guitarists.

There are a number of other guitarists out there that I enjoy like Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, Satriani, etc and while they all have their own style, they can all revert back to the blues for their initial inspirations and abstract subtitles in their music. It's the "feel" and emotion behind the fingers and the pick that adds substance to their music and it's something I just can't really hear in a lot of metal/shred which seems to go for the shock and awe factor.

To each his own of course. There's definitely no doubt that many metal guitarists and even youtube shredders can wield an ax.

#30 Bwood

Bwood

It's all about the

• HUDDLER
  • 2,491 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

well the all time best to me is jimi hendrix...he was from the future.......

now in the present time i dont really have favs but i do like some guys check this dude out.

That's a bass rookie lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com