Photo
- - - - -

If there is a better guitar player going today......

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

One thing to clear up since I've seen him mentioned a couple of times. Les Claypool is NOT that great of a bass player. I'll never criticize his music because 1. I like some of it and 2. he has the balls to got out there and make it as a musician. But he is so over-hyped by his fans and even non-fans it drives me crazy. His aggressive, rhythmic style makes him sound like a great bass player to people who don't know what great bass players sound like. You can't even compare him to top players like Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke because those guys are so much better and on such a different level that there's no basis for comparison.

#32 Crixtala

Crixtala

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts
  • LocationAsheville

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

claypool's fun, that's why he's great

#33 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,767 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Miley Cyrus is fun too.

edit: I'm not saying he isn't good, or even great, it's when you go into the realm of 'greatest' is when I have a problem.

#34 Bronn

Bronn

Sellsword

• HUDDLER
  • 4,962 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

oh u wanna go all bass on me now?

checkmate!

#35 BigSyke

BigSyke

I Know you Watching me but I'm watching you too Playa...

• HUDDLER
  • 2,190 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

lol yeah bass is still a guitar lol

like i said i dont really have that many fav guitarist now let me seeeee im surprised i have not seen anyone sayanything about eddie...i think this one of the top 100 riffs for rock of all time....

#36 captfluoro

captfluoro

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationHuntersville, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

well the all time best to me is jimi hendrix...he was from the future.......

now in the present time i dont really have favs but i do like some guys check this dude out.

That is Victor Wooten, bass player for Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Saw them in Memphis almost 15 years ago. He did a bass solo where he would play one riff, record it and then play it back on a loop and keep adding new riffs on top. Was awesome. And if we are getting into other stringed instruments Bela Fleck is one of the world's best banjo players. Guy is unreal.

#37 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

I know this is obvious but Les Claypool. Dude is a nut, but he is amazing.

guitar players
jack white
I know some might be turned off with the dramatics, but this is up there with my favorite live performances by a guitarist of all time. just straight balls and letting it rip. sloppy as hell but all feeling. And the performance fit what the song is about perfectly.

the sound is strangely low so headphones help

And two guitarists i havent heard mentioned
Al Schnier and Chuck Garvey of moe. got to see them live. blew me away.

Couldn't find a good audio of one of their sets live so here is the album version

#38 TheRumGone

TheRumGone

mountain man

• ALL-PRO
  • 9,870 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

One thing to clear up since I've seen him mentioned a couple of times. Les Claypool is NOT that great of a bass player. I'll never criticize his music because 1. I like some of it and 2. he has the balls to got out there and make it as a musician. But he is so over-hyped by his fans and even non-fans it drives me crazy. His aggressive, rhythmic style makes him sound like a great bass player to people who don't know what great bass players sound like. You can't even compare him to top players like Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke because those guys are so much better and on such a different level that there's no basis for comparison.

this is dumb. there are different styles. he is not overhyped. He is abrasive, but it is beyond ridiculous to say he is not that great of a bass player.

#39 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,560 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

I don't remember who created the thread on this guy awhile back but I haven't been able to stop listening to Gary Clark Jr. since I opened it. The guitar solo @ the 4:00 mark gives me chills and sends me into convulsions at times.

We'll have to go see him when, you know, you nut up and head to Austin

#40 Zaximus

Zaximus

I'm Brett Jensen

• HUDDLER
  • 5,047 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

Lots of great examples here. I love metal shredding but there is just something about the blues music like Gary Clark Jr. that is more than just shredding, time and a place for both.

#41 Herbert The Love Bug

Herbert The Love Bug

Stripper Name: Bo Dangles

• HUDDLER
  • 12,567 posts
  • Locationtied to your basement wall

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com