#1 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Says the NFL "left him hanging" (link)

He's had some legitimate adversity to deal with, but the claim now that he's not actually a Saints fan and the whole thing was an error on the NFL's part is kind of ridiculous.

#2 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I had forgotten all about this guy.

As for his personal life and loss, that's terrible and my condolences go out to him.

That aside though, as a referee at the pro level he sabotaged his own integrity. Can't fault the NFL.

#3 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

sad story, but i don't have a problem with the NFL here.

even if he's not really a saints fan and supposedly isn't all that interested in them, he blew his chance by opening his mouth and saying where he was going to be reffing. ultimately his facebook presence did him in and he has no one to blame but himself.

#4 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,199 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

i did find this interesting and i'm not sure how i feel about it...

"He dealt with the blow like a true champion. I know he is extremely grateful for the opportunity to compete at that level. He officiated with the same competitive spirit that he played with."

competing at that level?

competitive reffing?

#5 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,976 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

"He never struck back or jumped up and down and complained or cried about it being unfair," said J.T. Curtis, Stropolo's high school football coach, who has counseled Stropolo like a second father. "He set his jaw, gritted his teeth and got through it.

Struck back for what? He was a ref with pics online in Saints gear... they were right to not let him officiate that game. The lockout ended and the regular refs came back... big deal.

#6 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Given that the whole thing blew up because of a bunch of pics of him tailgating in Saints gear on his Facebook page (which he has since deleted) it's kinda hard to be sympathetic about that particular part of it.

Sounds like he's trying to do some revisionism now.

I'm sure he'll find plenty of support over on Saints Report though :lol:

#7 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

If i recall he was actually interacting with Saints fans on Facebook the day before the game aswell.

Some of them even asked him to throw some flags New Orleans way. It was incredibly stupid of him.

#8 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

If i recall he was actually interacting with Saints fans on Facebook the day before the game aswell.

Some of them even asked him to throw some flags New Orleans way. It was incredibly stupid of him.

That's how I remembered it too, and a quick internet search of articles written at the time confirms.

Of course, the only reason this happened was because Goodell was out to hurt the Saints any way he could :wacko:

#9 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,250 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

To be totally honest Id feel much better with him calling a game between us and the Saints than a ref who hides their allegiance to a team. You cant honestly tell me that you think all of the refs on all of the crews dont have a favorite team.

At least if you know who they are you know how to keep an eye on them.

#10 Khaki Lackey

Khaki Lackey

I keeps it real

• HUDDLER
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

All these refs are sports enthusiasts at some point. There should be up front disclosure and effort not to put refs in games where there is conflict involved.

If anything, his judgement and sexuality should be questioned for being a fan of such an corrupt and just plain godawful team.

#11 TheRed

TheRed

California Dreamin'

• HUDDLER
  • 14,449 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

That's how I remembered it too, and a quick internet search of articles written at the time confirms.

Of course, the only reason this happened was because Goodell was out to hurt the Saints any way he could :wacko:

GODDELL!!!!!!

Drew Brees is getting pretty desperate and redundant with his attacks on Goodell.

He also vilified Williams for that bounty audio recording yet painted the players as innocent pawns lol.

#12 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

To be totally honest Id feel much better with him calling a game between us and the Saints than a ref who hides their allegiance to a team. You cant honestly tell me that you think all of the refs on all of the crews dont have a favorite team.

At least if you know who they are you know how to keep an eye on them.

It's kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing, I guess.

You can bet the NFL wants no part of a Tim Donaghy type scandal, or even the appearance of one.

GODDELL!!!!!!

Drew Brees is getting pretty desperate and redundant with his attacks on Goodell.

He also vilified Williams for that bounty audio recording yet painted the players as innocent pawns lol.

I'm gonna really enjoy the day Gregg Williams finally decides to go public with everything he knows.

You can bet it'll be epic :lol:

#13 PhillyB

PhillyB

hari kari for amari

• ALL-PRO
  • 21,677 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

fug the saints

#14 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

fug the saints

You know they'd be going into the Super Bowl undefeated this Sunday if it weren't for Gordell.

#15 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• ALL-PRO
  • 42,218 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Who else remembers how absolutely giddy they were at the thought of Goodell handing them the Lombardi in the middle of the Superdome? Some of them were dead certain it was going to happen :lol:

Reality may have set in for the moment, but I'm sure Payton being reinstated will stoke their delusions soon enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com