• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#11 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

There were armed officers at every public school I went to, are we going to pretend this is a new idea?

#12 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

There were armed officers at every public school I went to, are we going to pretend this is a new idea?

No, you are to pretend it's an awful idea because the NRA suggested it.

#13 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• LocationWherever I May Roam
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

"The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school..."

Had he shot the kid, the lawsuits would already be filed...
1. He was off duty- why was he carrying a weapon?
2. He was off duty- why was he at the school?
3. Do off-duty, armed cops ride around in their cruisers looking for crime?

Sorry, the thought of an armed, yet off-duty cop at the school gives me just as much cause for concern as the kid...

#14 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith Huddle: Est 2003

• LocationChapel Hill
SUPPORTER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

so giving kids condoms at school is for "protection" because abstinence is unrealistic. yet, having armed guards for "protection" is unrealistic?

in short. abstinence is only good for gun owners, protection is not. but abstinence is bad for kids, but protection is good. LOL

i wouldn't call it an "extreme point" so much as a terrible comparison. what are you thinking here?

let's think about this: on one hand, you have elective sexual activity between high school aged kids-something so common and normal that it's just a generally accepted part of our culture on all levels to the extent that i doubt anybody reading this thread abstained from sex until marriage.

such a thing can have unintended consequences, however, so some people promote a religion-derived abstinence-only approach that has been proven by a multitude of studies to be ineffective. others prefer a prevention-based approach-they're gonna fug, so it's better for them to have fact-based education and easily accessible contraception, more or less.

on the other hand, you have the concept of armed gunmen entering schools with the intent of injuring/killing students and faculty. the activity is not elective for all parties, it's not imbued with any kind of commonality in terms of experiencing it first hand, it's unlikely anybody in this thread has ever perpetrated a school shooting, it's not something that can be easily prevented by education and access to cheap materials (unless you're one of those 'everybody should be armed all the time no matter where you are' fruitcakes).

just, what?

#15 I Mean He Was Found Guilty

I Mean He Was Found Guilty

DeAngelo Williams/Steve Smith Huddle: Est 2003

• LocationChapel Hill
SUPPORTER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

let's take a quick straw poll re: the "abstinence is unrealistic" point:

anybody here who saved it for marriage?

#16 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm using abstinence as a line of demarcation to highlight an example of how one can approach stopping something.
There have been many here to say by not owning a gun they don't run the risk of ever being shot. While some say by ownin a gun they reduce their risk.

The angle is more about protection. Does a condom protect from std's? Sure. Is it 100%? Well no.
Does not having sex prevent std's? Sure. Is it 100%? Well depends. Some studies will say it causes more to explore or try other things to avoid full sex and leads to it anyway.

The point isn't about guns or sex though. Its about one group or the others approach to solving an issue.

Would banning all guns reduce killings? Sure. Especially by guns. Would having armed guards stop all killings at schools? Probably not.
So in our attempt at protection we conclude we end up testing the effectiveness of the protection. Sometimes with negative consequences.
We compare the US to other nations who have an abscence of guns and their success rates with deaths by guns.

Just thought it was a curious way of comparing the two social hot buttons. Not trying to say anything more than that.

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I've never been against the armed guard idea...unless it is the band-aid on the open artery the NRA wants it to be.

I did find it comical that the same posters that are always "GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS ALWAYS TERRIBLE! I BALANCE MY CHECKBOOK BETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT!" were suddenly like "Pay armed guards to attend every school so that my precious gun hoarding can continue? Great idea!"

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• LocationWilmington, NC
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

"The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school..."

Had he shot the kid, the lawsuits would already be filed...
1. He was off duty- why was he carrying a weapon?
2. He was off duty- why was he at the school?
3. Do off-duty, armed cops ride around in their cruisers looking for crime?

Sorry, the thought of an armed, yet off-duty cop at the school gives me just as much cause for concern as the kid...

I'm curious as to why an armed off-duty cop is any different to an armed on-duty cop to you?

Did it say why that cop was there? His kid is there... something like that?

#19 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• LocationMontford
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've never been against the armed guard idea...unless it is the band-aid on the open artery the NRA wants it to be.

I did find it comical that the same posters that are always "GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS ALWAYS TERRIBLE! I BALANCE MY CHECKBOOK BETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT!" were suddenly like "Pay armed guards to attend every school so that my precious gun hoarding can continue? Great idea!"

gun hoarding or protecting the kids?

#20 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Locationnorth carolina
HUDDLER

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I would rather pay for armed gaurds at the schools than hooka habits of jordanian students. Sad point to this story is how long before some kids parents try to sue the armed gaurd who stopped the shooting?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users