#16 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,308 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

I'm using abstinence as a line of demarcation to highlight an example of how one can approach stopping something.
There have been many here to say by not owning a gun they don't run the risk of ever being shot. While some say by ownin a gun they reduce their risk.

The angle is more about protection. Does a condom protect from std's? Sure. Is it 100%? Well no.
Does not having sex prevent std's? Sure. Is it 100%? Well depends. Some studies will say it causes more to explore or try other things to avoid full sex and leads to it anyway.

The point isn't about guns or sex though. Its about one group or the others approach to solving an issue.

Would banning all guns reduce killings? Sure. Especially by guns. Would having armed guards stop all killings at schools? Probably not.
So in our attempt at protection we conclude we end up testing the effectiveness of the protection. Sometimes with negative consequences.
We compare the US to other nations who have an abscence of guns and their success rates with deaths by guns.

Just thought it was a curious way of comparing the two social hot buttons. Not trying to say anything more than that.

#17 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I've never been against the armed guard idea...unless it is the band-aid on the open artery the NRA wants it to be.

I did find it comical that the same posters that are always "GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS ALWAYS TERRIBLE! I BALANCE MY CHECKBOOK BETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT!" were suddenly like "Pay armed guards to attend every school so that my precious gun hoarding can continue? Great idea!"

#18 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,983 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

"The armed resource officer who took the gun away was off-duty and at the school..."

Had he shot the kid, the lawsuits would already be filed...
1. He was off duty- why was he carrying a weapon?
2. He was off duty- why was he at the school?
3. Do off-duty, armed cops ride around in their cruisers looking for crime?

Sorry, the thought of an armed, yet off-duty cop at the school gives me just as much cause for concern as the kid...

I'm curious as to why an armed off-duty cop is any different to an armed on-duty cop to you?

Did it say why that cop was there? His kid is there... something like that?

#19 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,308 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:43 PM

I've never been against the armed guard idea...unless it is the band-aid on the open artery the NRA wants it to be.

I did find it comical that the same posters that are always "GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS ALWAYS TERRIBLE! I BALANCE MY CHECKBOOK BETTER THAN THE GOVERNMENT!" were suddenly like "Pay armed guards to attend every school so that my precious gun hoarding can continue? Great idea!"

gun hoarding or protecting the kids?

#20 Harris Aballah

Harris Aballah

Fayette-Villian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Locationnorth carolina

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I would rather pay for armed gaurds at the schools than hooka habits of jordanian students. Sad point to this story is how long before some kids parents try to sue the armed gaurd who stopped the shooting?

#21 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,551 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

GOVERNMENT SPENDING IS BAD!!! ALWAYS!!!

Unless it helps me.

- Every Conservative Ever

#22 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

No, you are to pretend it's an awful idea because the NRA suggested it.

So did Obama, genius, it was in his executive actions.

#23 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,403 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Of course it was...in the form of grants. Now tell me why the NRA is catching hell.

#24 CatofWar

CatofWar

Join, or Die

• HUDDLER
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationGitmo

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

So did Obama, genius, it was in his executive actions.

Executive order you mean.

#25 Anybodyhome

Anybodyhome

USN Retired

• HUDDLER
  • 6,480 posts
  • LocationWherever I May Roam

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm curious as to why an armed off-duty cop is any different to an armed on-duty cop to you?

Did it say why that cop was there? His kid is there... something like that?

It didn't say anything and I'm assuming nothing...

... just asking the questions.

And there is a huge difference between and armed on- duty vs. off-duty cop. In most states, off-duty cops cannot carry their service weapon- if they choose to carry off-duty it must be their personal weapon. And no, I'm not assuming which it was in this case, either.

And, in most states, off-duty cops carry far less authority than on-duty. For example, an off-duty cop cannot attempt to pull you over in his own car.

A former police officer in my city lost his job and the department was sued when an off-duty cop first pulled over a woman while he was driving his personal vehicle, flashed her his badge and reportedly showed her he was carrying his service weapon when she questioned what he wanted. There was no probable cause, witnesses said he maneuvered his vehicle in an unsafe manner and no one believed he was a cop so he started with the badge and gun thing.

And the complete opposite could be true of your questions. Maybe the cop has no kids, may he's a pedo and took the job as an SRO just to be around kids.... jus' sayin' you gotta ask all the questions.

#26 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,116 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

It's not the "armed guard" thing that's inherently bad (although these guards are mostly in high schools where gang violence is a bigger problem). It's the thinking behind it, that the ONLY solution for gun violence is....more guns. It's a terrible thing for our kids to have to accept, and something we as adults should be working to reverse.

#27 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 20,308 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

i dont think many are saying JUST having armed guards is the only way. i'm certainly not. but multi pronged approach certainly can't hurt.

if we are going to have an upheaval of health care instead of focusing on the uninsured first, i don't see why this can't be walked thru and done smartly.

after 9/11 you saw more police presence at parking decks and buildings and games and such. sometimes the mere presence can be all the deterrent needed.

if an armed person knows in advance that a person or persons are armed at a school, suddenly they have to change their mind. that alone is one of the cheapest and easiest things to implement.

gas stations have cops parked there all the time. why? just to surf the net and drink coffee? no. well, maybe. but ever notice how those places never seemed to get robbed?

i think the reason many oppose armed guards is it takes away the sting of being able to reach deeper into someones ability to own firearms.

do both. guards AND smarter gun laws. it makes sense.

#28 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,736 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

Of course it was...in the form of grants. Now tell me why the NRA is catching hell.

Because they're a pos organization.

#29 GOOGLE RON PAUL

GOOGLE RON PAUL

fleet-footed poster

• HUDDLER
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Because they're a pos organization.

#30 jtnc

jtnc

Resident Asshole

• HUDDLER
  • 13,403 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:51 PM

Let's all become a bigger police state, while masking the real issue at hand. Yayyyyy for incompetence everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com