94 replies to this topic

#16 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,930 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

I get it why we have lots of Redskins (former TV market) and Steelers (transplants) fans here... but wtf are there so many dumbass Cowboys fans here???

I mentioned in another thread, the Redskins old owner George Preston Marshall was a vehement opponent of racial integration and a huge advocate for racist policies. In reaction a lot of the Redskins market (which probably would have included NC at the time) started to cheer for their division rivals the Cowboys in protest. It was many decades ago, but that would've been passed down through generations. The Panthers just need some winning seasons to steal those fans.

#17 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,957 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

DP

#18 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Does anyone else find it hilarious that the saints fans are all of a sudden loyal? Since when? oh yeah circa 2009.

Oh and yes, facebook is the determining factor to a fans loyalty...lol

winning changes things.

#19 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

on the cowboys...the reason I hear from the older fans is "woohoo, staubach! hell yeah, Landry!" from the younger ones it's, "cuz they my daddies team".

#20 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

The art of a true fan base is having loyal fans (even when you lose. i.e. Browns, Chiefs, Bills, and Lions fans). Gaining fans from winning doesn't mean you have a loyal fan base, it means that the majority of your fan base consists of fair weather fans who are supportive in the good times and critical/non-existent in the bad. You can believe that.

#21 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Facebook is so 2000-late

Get an active Twitter account fools!

#22 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

I only have FB to save face with family. I really hate it cuz its just politics, religion, basketball, guns and baby pics.

#23 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 6,068 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

winning changes things.

Can you imagine 3 winning seasons in a row with progressive playoff performances... Heads would explode!

#24 thatlookseasy

thatlookseasy

Death to pennies

• HUDDLER
  • 2,950 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

This is not really a measure of fan loyalty, its the percentage of fans within a 50 mile radius of the city. So really the Panthers are hurt here by Charlotte's location because the 50 mile radius includes a lot of Tennessee and Georgia and leaves out large chunks of the Carolinas. So even though there is no rival city within 50 miles, state lines go a long way in determining favorite teams

#25 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 33,365 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

I mentioned in another thread, the Redskins old owner George Preston Marshall was a vehement opponent of racial integration and a huge advocate for racist policies. In reaction a lot of the Redskins market (which probably would have included NC at the time) started to cheer for their division rivals the Cowboys in protest. It was many decades ago, but that would've been passed down through generations. The Panthers just need some winning seasons to steal those fans.

That may be true, but how does that explain all the white trash redneck goofy ass Cowboys fans I often see?

#26 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

This is not really a measure of fan loyalty, its the percentage of fans within a 50 mile radius of the city. So really the Panthers are hurt here by Charlotte's location because the 50 mile radius includes a lot of Tennessee and Georgia and leaves out large chunks of the Carolinas. So even though there is no rival city within 50 miles, state lines go a long way in determining favorite teams

did miles get longer?

#27 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

That may be true, but how does that explain all the white trash redneck goofy ass Cowboys fans I often see?

like i said...many of the landry/staubach fans have bred.

#28 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,957 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

The Cowboy fanbase is the epitome of bandwagon. Someone hear's the name America's team and says well I live in America, so they must be my team.

#29 rayzor

rayzor

shula is who i thought he was.

• Moderators
  • -29,417 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

The art of a true fan base is having loyal fans (even when you lose. i.e. Browns fans). Gaining fans from winning doesn't mean you have a loyal fan base, it means that the majority of your fan base consists of fair weather fans who are supportive in the good times and critical/non-existent in the bad. You can believe that.

how did the browns get their fans? where do they come from?

panthers dropped into the middle of an area with fans from a lot of different teams and an area that draws people from other areas who are already loyal to other teams.

panthers are going to have to rely on an originally small base of fans slowly creating generational fans and converting fans of other teams. to convert fans, you have to give them a reason beyond, you know....just being here. you win over fans by being something we haven't been...a winning team. create hype by winning and then building on momentum the next year. its a snowball effect. you get rolling and the small snowball of fans gets bigger.

and all that hating on fairweather fans going on is ridiculous. most loyal fans start out as fairweather fans and picking up fairweather fans isn't a bad thing because it usually means something good is going on.

#30 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,914 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I don't really know if Facebook is a great criteria for measuring fan loyalty :unsure:

That said, winning fixes everything. The fanbase gets better when your team becomes a consistent winner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com